Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Top 20 Greatest L.A. Punk Albums of All Time...

Pages: 1 11 replies

J

Kind of interesting...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/06/top_20_greatest_la_punk_albums_7.php

But what about "Wild Gift", it's as essential as X's debut album. Also missing was Fear's "The Record", Channel 3's "Fear of Life", Agent Orange's "Living in Darkness", and the Adolescents' debut.

Also "Double Nickels" deserves to be in the top 5 for sure. It's one of the greatest Punk (Post-Punk really) albums of all time. :)

And I'm sorry but that Germs record sucked. :(

Edit - Also all of the Pre-Henry Black Flag EP/Singles stuff blows "Damaged" away. I think "Damaged" is very overrated in comparison.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-06-15 10:30 ]

Despise You
The Nerves
Wasted Youth
NOFX (came much later)?

I would not have them in my top 10

X/Los Angeles should be at number one!
Listed are so many OC bands & records that came out in the 80s, So I call fowl on this list
Where are The Plugz, The Weirdos, The Bags, The Screamers, Black Randy

And if they are going to co-op OC bands just put The Dead Kennedys on the list to!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-15 12:00 ]

J

I think it's OK to include OC bands. And even though they were based in Hermosa Beach, Black Flag was closer in spirit to what was going on in OC than they were to the Hollywood scene.

ATP, you're such a Punk purist !! :)

J

Also you forgot the DIL's. :D I used to have a cassette of their stuff (or was it The Screamers?), but I think it got smashed in the Northridge earthquake. From what I remember, I only listened to it a couple of times.

I am just old!

And "The DILS" were from San Diego so I intentionally left them out
But they did a fine job opening for the Clash at the Santa Monica Civic in 79.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-15 11:25 ]

Where are Alleycats? 45 Grave? Vox Pop?

N

The Rotters/Spoilers

Stevie Nicks be d@mned!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jun 15, 2012 6:31 PM

I agree with John-O regarding Agent Orange and the Adolescents.

And what about the compilation LP "Public Service" ?

Bad Religion's "How Can Hell Be Any Worse?" not on the list...huh?

A long-time favorite of mine was a LA band called Funeral. They had a great LP circa 1980-81 that I've since lost and have never been able to replace.

On 2012-06-15 10:25, JOHN-O wrote:

And I'm sorry but that Germs record sucked. :(

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-06-15 10:30 ]

SERIOUSLY? You really need to listen to it again because that assessment is just kookoobananas. Maybe
you're thinking of their live performances which did suck.I don't know how Joan Jett managed to pull it out of them
in the studio.

Anyway, for the most part I agree with most on the list and pretty much everyone's comments about omissions.
The list should have been called Southern California Punk because many of the bands are from Orange County
in which case The Crowd's "A World Apart" should be included.
"Damaged" is an important album in hardcore, but not necessarily warranting number one. I would sooner put
"Nervous Breakdown" or "Jealous Again" at numero uno. All in all X "Los Angeles" should have been tops.

"The Germs" earned there place in LA Punk history, But musically speaking Darby Crash flamed out before
he even got started, But if you were at a Germs gig, You knew you were at a Punk gig!

To bad every time I saw Darby he was a wasted mess (Mostly at Okie Dog's & certainly at the gigs)
I remember we were all sad when he died but not surprised.

If he didn't let drugs control his life, He might have made some great music,
I never understood a single word he sang, Though.

Hey Atomic! Yeah, they made one great album, kinda like a lot of punk rock bands. You were lucky to see them, even if it was chaos. It would have been interesting to see what he did if he wasn't so messed up.
Completely agree with trying to figure out what he was singing. I challenge you to try and figure out what H.R. is singing without a lyric sheet.

If you want to see some photos of some of the bands from this era, check out the photo exibit "Who Shot Rock and Roll" at the The Annenberg Space for Photography (2000 Avenue of the Stars in Century City/Los Angeles, Ca). June 23- Oct 7, 2012. One of the featured photographers is Edward Colver. who captured the legendary bands of this time.

Los Angeles Times: Who Shot Rock & Roll

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2012-06-23 13:28 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies