Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cleaning and Care for a Juice-O-Mat

Pages: 1 5 replies

This is my first post here, ever. Although, I've been stealing advice from this site for some time now. :)

On the advice of many users, I purchased a used Juice-O-Mat via eBay for about $25 including shipping. This thing is a thing of beauty despite showing its age and truly as the saying goes "they don't make them like they used to."

Mine is clearly been living in a cellar for awhile. It's grubby, dirty and stinks of cellar smells. It needs to be cleaned before I begin using it.

Do any Juice-O-Mat users have recommendations for cleaning? I'm afraid that chemical-based cleaners may react to the metal but perhaps that is silly? The mechanism is already well-lubricated but is there any advice folks could give me about to get my little fella up and running?

Thank you so much for reading and any thoughts you might have.

I suggest soap & hot water along with Scotch Brite - stay away from any metalic scouring devices. I have a similar-style juicer that I also purchased on Ebay that needed a good cleaning before I could use it and the above is what got the job done.
Enjoy!

Thanks, GentleHangman!

I'm going to give it a good cleaning this evening. Your help is most appreciated!

T

If you are going for 1 lime at a time while "customers" sit at the bar, the press is pretty cool but if you need to juice 20 limes behind the scenes, do yourself a favor and pick up something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CJ625-30-Watt-34-Ounce/dp/B001EU9VSM

I have actually broken the gears inside of my vintage juice press (cheap pot metal) and my wife kept suggesting the kitchen juicer. It took me a while to listen to her (as usual) but I'm glad I did.

[ Edited by: teamtom 2012-06-18 07:24 ]

S

Actually, for one at a time, I use a hand squeezer, and for the bag at a time, I only use my Juice-O-Mat. Never broken one and I have juiced hundreds of limes and lemons with it, and oranges as well, although if the orange is too big, it will not work.

There are variosu models, so, you need to make sure you get the one that opens fully for easy use. Just slice the fruit and one crank and it is done. If I have a complaint, and maybe other models fixed this, there should be holes in the top to keep the fruit from suctioning to the metal dome.

I can juice a bag or 10 limes in about a two minutes with this.

On 2012-06-15 12:02, iheijoushin wrote:
This is my first post here, ever. Although, I've been stealing advice from this site for some time now. :)

Do any Juice-O-Mat users have recommendations for cleaning? I'm afraid that chemical-based cleaners may react to the metal but perhaps that is silly? The mechanism is already well-lubricated but is there any advice folks could give me about to get my little fella up and running?

Thank you so much for reading and any thoughts you might have.

Tip it upside down, remove the screw and take it apart. Clean out the old grease etc and then apply new food friendly oil and reassemble. Years of happy juicing.

Pages: 1 5 replies