Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help! Hawaiian wood carved wall hangings.

Pages: 1 18 replies

T

Anybody have a history on these? era, artist, etc..

Thanks

[ Edited by: tikijim 2012-06-24 14:10 ]

T

Any ideas where I can find out more?

They are made in the Philippines--I have the same pair and they are stamped as such.

In addition I have a fish set, owl set and bongo set all with the sort of carvings inside them.

I am pretty sure they have been posted on Tiki Finds numerous times before--they aren't very rare. I bought my set for $4.99 at a thrift store.

T

Thank you. Sounds interesting, I'd like to see the fish, owl and bongo ones..

I have the owl ones:

T

Cool Owls... Wonder what wood was used?

monkeypod i think

T

Does you hanging hardware look like this one?

Thanks

Yes, it does.

This is also known as airport art, mass-produced tourist art, - or "nameless pieces of hacked wood"

On 2012-06-27 13:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
This is also known as airport art, mass-produced tourist art, - or "nameless pieces of hacked wood"

Well, I quite like my "nameless pieces of hacked wood" hanging up. But then, I have never been one of those purists who will only have something rare and collectable. If I like it, I like it. I'm starting to feel that those of us are newer to the forum aren't quite good enough for the cool kids since we have stuff that wasn't bought "in the wild" or is mass-produce tourist stuff made in the Philippines. Not just this particular thread, but lots of other threads as well where newer members are put down. The common complaint is that TC is slow because of the newbies posting threads on existing topics and all the old members are being driven away. Maybe it's because the newbies are often treated like red-headed step children that we eventually go away before we had a chance to really get to know people and the culture of the forum.

On 2012-06-27 17:53, KittyKat65 wrote:

Well, I quite like my "nameless pieces of hacked wood" hanging up. But then, I have never been one of those purists who will only have something rare and collectable. If I like it, I like it. I'm starting to feel that those of us are newer to the forum aren't quite good enough for the cool kids since we have stuff that wasn't bought "in the wild" or is mass-produce tourist stuff made in the Philippines. Not just this particular thread, but lots of other threads as well where newer members are put down. The common complaint is that TC is slow because of the newbies posting threads on existing topics and all the old members are being driven away. Maybe it's because the newbies are often treated like red-headed step children that we eventually go away before we had a chance to really get to know people and the culture of the forum.

Good grief.

On 2012-06-27 18:01, SandraDee wrote:

Good grief.

I rest my case.

[ Edited by: KittyKat65 2012-06-27 18:13 ]

T

KittyKat65, You just keep standing up for yourself!

God knows I am one of those opinionated people here on TC, But I also know
my opinion is just that, "My" opinion, You keep having your own girl!

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Jun 27, 2012 9:07 PM

I agree 100%
And that's why I will just keep lurking and not post.

Oh shit....

J

Maybe it's because the newbies are often treated like red-headed step children...

Stick around, some of us here like redheads...

And don't take things too personally, you need to be thick skinned just like a Tiki !!

But do try to take something positive away when long time Tikiphiles chime in. It's not "Cool Kid" snobbery but rather high Tiki standards cultivated over time. :wink:

The difference is that we are not trying to keep ourselves "special", but that we are trying to keep Tiki special.

T

Wow.. I like my "hacked wood" too...

~ one Krab's trash is another Krab's treasure..and one Krab's treasure is another Krab's junk ~

http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/one-krabs-trash-full-episode.html

[ Edited by: tikijim 2012-06-28 12:15 ]

[ Edited by: tikijim 2012-06-29 08:34 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies