Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Functional Bamboo Tiki Aquarium with images

Pages: 1 11 replies

T
TikiB posted on Sun, Jun 24, 2012 2:21 PM

Hello TC! I searched for a thread with functional Tiki aquariums and could not find one. I found lots of pics of aquariums for sale or being used to showcase collectibles. For a few years I have had this Bamboo aquarium storing random tiki stuff and I was waiting till I could find the time to make it functional. From the research I have done I believe this aquarium is from the 50's-70's. When I got it from a thrift shop it leaked, had no filter and the lighting fixture was rusted. I had the glass 100% replaced. I took out the old lighting fixture and added in new LED lights. They are great because they do not raise the temperature of the water which is critical in salt water aquariums. I also added live sand and live rock to act as a natural filter. About 6 months ago I added seahorses. I have had salt water tanks for 25 years but this my first time keeping seahorses. They are a lot of fun to watch and they have a lot of personality. I lurk here at TC a lot and wanted to share some pics that I thought some people here might appreciate.

I did not add the Moai. He walked there from a shelf above the tank so I left him where he is.

I would love to see pics of others aquariums in their Tiki Rooms. Aquariums are one of my many obsessions. Thanks for looking and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Cool!!! :D. First time I've seem a bamboo aquarium. Looks great. Thanks for posting.

EJ

Very cool!!

Since you are using LED's are you using something else for your full spectrum lighting that does not raise the tank temp? Where is your sump tank or are you using one of those all in one filter systems like the Red Sea tanks use?

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2012-06-24 19:29 ]

T
TikiB posted on Sun, Jun 24, 2012 9:28 PM

El Jefe,
I have 2 LED strips. One is an 12,000 white light and the other is a 50/50 12,000 with 50% actinic blue and 50% white lights. They give off nice spectrum of color. Since I am not trying to keep corals in the tank I am not using as bright of lights as I do in my little reef tank.

As far as a filter everyone will think I am crazy but I do not run a filter. The original tanks from this time had under gravel filters which I believe no filter is better than an under gravel. I have not figured out a way to hook up a modern filter with out drilling holes in the original bamboo which I am trying to avoid. I use a whisper pump with a bubbler to move the water around. I also do lots of water changes. I exchange 80% of the water every other week. This might not work with many fish but these sea horses are tank raised in a breeders garage. He runs all his tanks with the same techniques and so far they seam to be doing great. I have had the horses since February. They are always swimming and like to eat a lot. 2-3 times a day. I am still searching for an external filter that will keep the aquarium looking original. Also I could cut back on the water changes.

Forgotten TikiMan , thanks for looking. I am glad you enjoyed.

T
TikiB posted on Sun, Jun 24, 2012 9:34 PM

I took a couple quick pics of the lights. One with lights on and one with them off.

Awesome! That bamboo tank is great!

I also keep seahorses, they are very addictive (just like tiki I guess)..

I'm still building my basement bar, but I hope to install a pufferfish & eel tank adjascent to the seahorse tank.

Nice work.

T

happy Buddah

Thank you. I had a predator tank at one time. They are fun too. I had a couple eels, a Lion fish and a grouper. It was fun at feeding time. If you get a chance I would love to see pics of your tank.

That is super cool. Great looking aquarium, seahorses, moai. All goes great together.

Gorgeous aquarium! Love the seahorses!!!
Tiki Kitty

Quite hip. Good on you. Nice workmanship!

G
GGonzo posted on Sat, Nov 8, 2014 7:05 AM

I have a tiki tank as well, I can't get to the glass to measure its thickness to see if it's a terrarium or an aquarium grade glass though. Yours are the only images I've found showing a tiki tank being used as an aquarium, but you mentioned you had the glass replaced. Was that due to the leak only or did you replace it because it was the thinner terrarium glass originally?

Pic during my bar construction. Not vintage like yours...

Pages: 1 11 replies