Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Carving seminar and Bar-B-que at the Lagoon Room

Pages: 1 22 replies

At my place, Saturday June 21st, Gecko will be offering his thoughts on carving with Poly Pop in the afternoon followed by a cocktails and a bar-B-que. I'm thinking 3:00 to 6:00 for the carving. 6:00 till dawn for the bar-B-que. I'm easy to find.

Drive to Oceanside on the 5.

Turn East on mission.

Turn right on Mesa.

I live on the left hand side Can't miss it.

2814 Mesa
Oceanside Ca
[email protected]
760 754 8195

Shout out, who's coming.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-06-19 11:18 ]

I sure wish me and mine could go, but we've got plans. For those that have not been to the Lagoon Room, GO! You're in for a treat. Very cool of Mike (Gecko) to offer some insight into carving. He'll be a tiki carving legend like Leroy in his time, and you can say "I knew him when...".

Have Fun.

The Monkeyman family will be there.

Let us know if we can help with anything.

Gecko, Is Poly bringing some tools with him or should I bring over some chisels? I would like to bring over the mini tiki's that I have been working on to show you. I am starting on the 6th one tonight.

SHeeeeit! I haven't figured out how to be in 2 places at the same time,.........ammitday.

I might make it down, just depends on how my family obligations go earlier in the day.

T

We are saddened to not be able to make this one. Have a short slurp to Trustar.

Have fun

Trustar

P

Darn. I'll be heading down to San Diego today, too, but unfortunately no time to stop by.

I'll be in town, so I'm there for a while too! Bringing my tools.

Thank you Al and Shelley for hosting this one of a kind event. The BBQ was delicious and the bonfire & slide show was memorable. What a surreal experience it was to experience the simultaneous carving stylings of Gecko and Chiki Tiki Diablo.

Enjoy the pics!

Prepping logs in the early afternoon

Gecko marks a log for the chisels

Monkeyman working on a Cook Islands Mask

Master Carvers Chiki Tiki Diablo and Gecko

Chiki Tiki Diablo marking a log for the chisels

Gecko in action!

Chiki Tiki Diablo putting on a show

Some of Gecko's masterpieces

End of day tikis

Thanks again Al and Shelly. I had a great time. This is my ultimate kind of gathering.

Drinking, Socializing and Making stuff.

Thanks to Chiki, Poly and Gecko for supplying some tools and knowledge to the afternoon.

Monkeyman

G

hey great action photos Pop! can you shoot those pics to my email bro.

I had a great time Al & Shel!! You guys have been there for me the whole time I've been here on da mainland! I love you guys! You guys stay at my hale for now on when eva you visit da islands! save all da room money fo'mo tiki stuff and fo'mo sewing material fo Shelly.

Chiki,
If I ever move back to da mainland, I would definatley(sp?) love to start our own version of OA!! Can't think of another carver I would love to work with on this type of decor. Aloha loco.

Monkey Man, nice ottoman brah. We might have to do da ting I was talkin about threw da mail. I'm all out of time. But it was great meeting your family.

SCD......no coment! no just talkin funny. SCD is one cool pimp!

shoots

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2003 5:03 PM

how can i forget da Bax doggy dog! you're a crack up braddah! call me if you're eva on da islands!

Aloha to you and your ohana!!!

ps
I won't be able to make it to your house befor the Hukilau so just mail me the painting......he he he (inside joke)

Wen I see da pics, my lip began to twitch, I don know what dat means, I jus know dat I'm suck 'em up in Santa Cruz wit no tiki braddahs. Gecko you da' man! JT

Gecko! Re: 3rd to the last post before this one. You got to get back to da islands! You are loosing your accent! God Damn Mainland!! Glad y'all had a cool bbq! See you's on da plane (Al & Shell). Yee- Ha!

Man -o-man does that look like you guys had a good time. Nic work everybody on those fine tikis. Chainsaws and power grinders!! I need to get some more tools!
I bet there was a lot of chips flying that day.
Chongolio

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-06-25 10:32 ]

Can anyone tell me what kind of power grinders you use? I have no clue as to what to buy. Thanks in advance my tiki brothers, JT

In case anyone was wondering how the tiki Gecko was carving above came out, here are some pics. BTW JungleTrader, he happily resides with me now!

Poly Dawg. That is one fine tiki, you deserve it bro. Jeez, and you got it for a smile.

That turned out real nice. Reeeaaaallll Nice!
I can truly appreciate the work of a craftsman (craftsperson).

Monkeyman

working on saturday SUCKS!!!. I miss so much!.

Yeah P-POP, nice work on the tiki grab.
That buddy is priceless, try not to bust it. Hee-hee!

Chongolio

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2003 3:08 PM

glad you're happy Pop, It was nice breaking out da chizles while in Cali. Dat was da first time in about 2 weeks dat I carved because of bamboo projects for customers. Tanks fo givin me da oppertunity(sp?) to carve a tiki.

mahaloz

Gecko, the carving session was a blast. Next time, we gotta start earlier in the day. Maybe we can do that again but at your pad next time. I'll bring Chiki with me on my next trip to da islands.

Pages: 1 22 replies