Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

First Annual "Fong Music Fest" @ Chef Shangri-La

Pages: 1 33 replies

Mark your calendars and make your plans for this one cuz it's goina be smokin'!

Sept 7-8th "Fong Music Fest 2012...A Celebration of Aloha Spirit!"

Be a part of this first annual fun filled weekend featuring OVER 10 Bands, DJ's, Dancers, and an indoor Polynesian market place. The weekend kicks off on Friday night at 9pm with a special Polynesian buffet style dinner and 2 bands (see below). Saturday the party continues at the Chef when the doors open at Noon with DJ's & shopping, and the music kicks off at 1:30pm in the Chef’s parking lot. The outdoor portion Saturday will feature 9 bands (see below), DJ’s, & dancers, with Saturday’s festivities ending inside with the final 2 bands (see below) performances. Also, from Noon til 5pm inside the restaurant on Saturday, a Polynesian market place that will feature Hawaiian related items such as Alohawear, vintage Tiki collectibles and Tiki related Artists.

There are two different ticket packages, an advance weekend ticket for $40.00 (limited to the first 150), that will get you into both Friday and Saturday plus event t-shirt & special Polynesian buffet (friday nite only). Once these first 150 weekend passes sell out, an advance one day ticket for $35.00 will get you into the outdoor portion of Saturday only! Tickets for the outdoor portion of Saturday will be $40.00 the day of the event. Drink Specials throughout the weekend and an optional Buffet Saturday!

Tentative weekend line up subject to slight changes:

FRIDAY NIGHT-
Hillbilly Idle
13Tikis

SATURDAY OUTSIDE-
Alewife
Astronauts Space Age Combo
The Fuzzrites
The Hot Rod Hucksters
The Dyes
Go!Tsunami
The Concussions
The Madeira
The Neanderthals

SATURDAY INSIDE-
Roger & the Wraybands
The Cocktail Preachers

Advanced Tickets Sales available now, you can reserve yours via CC by calling the Chef at 708-442-7080. Ask for Duane or Betty, and please have your credit card and t-shirt size available when calling!

More exciting surprises and updates will available right here, or at http://chefshangrila.com/ or, on FB!

See Ya'll at the Chef!

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge 2012-08-07 07:32 ]

I hope they grow this event into a yearly thing here in chicago, along the lines of hot rod hula hop, exotica, ohana and other yearly events but with more of an emphasis on the music and lounging tiki style, not getting drunk and f**ked up which sadly, seems to be the focus now of some of the other events lately.

Aside from being held at a vintage tiki place like the chef, there are still other great tiki venues for folks to visit here in the midwest. so get your tickets and make a weekend of it.

In fact, there will probably be a meet and greet at the hala kahiki the thursday night before this event that weekend.

J

What a fantastic line-up !! And at Chef Shangri-La, a Tiki destination I'm still dying to visit.

Those 7th and 8th dates just stuck in my mind. Today I found out I need to be in Chicago on the 9th for work. :) Yes !!...

Until I realized this event is in Sept and my meeting is in July. :(

Anyway it looks like a great event. This So Ca Tikiphile is super jealous.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-06-27 18:41 ]

I wish I could make it too. I stopped by last month when I was in Chicago for a family visit and wedding. This place is the real deal and would be my hangout if i was living back in the Chicago Land area. They have some of the best Witco Art I have ever seen and a very authentic feel.

Next time I am in Chicago this will be my base of operation.

W

Here's some lodging suggestions for anyone coming in from out of town...

The Carleton & Write Inn are both located in near by historic Oak Park
http://www.carletonhotel.com/ http://www.writeinn.com/

Holiday Inn Express in Hillside
http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/hillside/chiha/hoteldetail

Admission for kids under 12 is only $10.00, and concidering the outdoor portion of Saturday starts at noon and runs til 10pm, that's a pretty good bang for your bux. Ya know ya can't find a sitter for that price, so bring the kids! :D

We stopped by the Chef yesterday and ticket sales are going good so far, they're a third of the way there on the weekend passes. At a low price of $40.00 for the whole weekend which includes 12 bands, special Polynesian Buffet Friday nite, and a commemorative event T-shirt, ya can't beat it! Fans I urge you make your plans and get your tickets now!!

Also if you're in town Thursday evening we'll be getting together at Hala Kahiki, more info later, so stay tuned...

See ya'll at the Chef!!

Couple of quick things...

There is also this place http://www.colonymotelbrookfield.com/rates.html which is only a couple of miles away from the Chef. Looks pretty cool and has gotten fairly decent reviews here http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-385058-colony_motel-i

Poster & t-shirt art soon so stay tuned!!!!!

Here's the event poster...

...artwork courtesy of Ragbag Comics!

Also, The Dyes have been added to Saturday's outdoor line up!

Weekend passes are still availabe for the low cost of $40.00, and that includes a special Polynesian Buffet on Friday night, plus an event t-shirt(artwork coming soon)! More surprises soon so stay tuned!

See ya'll at the Chef

We'll be sellin' some sharp screen prints of the design above
pressed up by the one-and-only Steve Walters at Screwball Press
at the event, too... Hand numbered & signed!

Check out their some of their handiwork:
http://screwballpress.com/

Only printing 100, selling them for an affordable ten bucks.

Be there or be square!

--Pete

One of the 12 awesome bands that will be performing at the First Annual "Fong Music Fest" @ Chef Shangri-La 9/7 & 9/8! Enjoy!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8xEblmGoeo

Here's just one of the reasons to purchase the weekend pass for First Annual "Fong Music Fest" @ Chef Shangri-La 9/7 & 9/8. For a measely 5 bux more you get this fabulous band, a cool event t-shirt, a Polynesian style buffet on Friday night, plus three more great bands!! Stay tuned for more exciting news coming soon!!!! Meanwhile enjoy 13Tikis version of Link Wray's Steel Trap!

http://vimeo.com/18574650

The following is a public service announcement...

The cut off date to receive your FREE commemorative event t-shirt as part of the weekend VIP pass is August 24th. Weekend passes without t-shirt can still be purchased after that date (if still available).

Here's a peak at the black & white art work, actual shirts will be beige print on coco brown shirt...

...also band names will be printed on back side of shirt.

Be sure to stay tuned for more important updates coming soon!!!!!

Here's the complete line up for Fong Fest...

FRIDAY NIGHT-
Hillbilly Idle
13Tikis

SATURDAY OUTSIDE-
Alewife
Astronauts Space Age Combo
The Fuzzrites-Featuring Concussion members Dick Chicklet, Matt Mason, Claude Nine, & Pedro Delmar of Los Straitjackets
The Hot Rod Hucksters
The Dyes
Go!Tsunami
The Concussions
The Madeira
The Neanderthals

SATURDAY INSIDE-
Roger & the Wraybands
The Cocktail Preachers

Advanced Tickets Sales available now, you can reserve yours via CC by calling the Chef at 708-442-7080. Ask for Duane or Betty, and please have your credit card and t-shirt size available when calling! More exciting surprises and updates will available right here, or at http://chefshangrila.com/ or, on FB!

ALSO...VERY IMPORTANT NEWS, THE START TIME FOR THE OUTDOOR PORTION OF THE SATURDAY'S SCHEDULE IS NOW 1:30 PM & THERE WILL NOW BE 9 BANDS!!

Stay tuned folks!

See Ya'll at the Chef! :drink:

Ok folks, here's the lowdown on vendors for Saturday at "Fong Fest"...

Leah Onomatopoeia-Alohawear, Hawaiian and vintage collectibles
Forward Back Vintage-Hawaiian items, tiki stuff and vintage collectibles
Momtiki & Dadtiki-Alohawear, Hawaiian and vintage collectibles
Lake Tiki-One of the premier Tiki carvers in the Midwest
Duke & Amy Carter- Tiki mugs, Alohawear, and other hawaiian collectibles
BambooLodge Vintage-Hawaiian items, Alohawear, and vintage collectibles

Vendors will be set up in the restaurant from Noon until 5pm!

There will also be a space for bands to sell merchandise after their set.

We still have a couple of spots left if anyone is interested, feel free to drop me a PM.

Just a friendly reminder...

On 2012-08-03 13:52, BambooLodge wrote:

The cut off date to receive your FREE commemorative event t-shirt as part of the weekend VIP pass is August 24th. Weekend passes without t-shirt can still be purchased after that date.

Here's a peak at the black & white art work, actual shirts will be beige print on coco brown shirt...

:D The Chef has extended the cut off until Midnite Sunday 8/26! So there' still time to order that weekend pass and get in on the event t-shirt!

On 2012-08-21 09:01, BambooLodge wrote:
Just a friendly reminder...

On 2012-08-03 13:52, BambooLodge wrote:

The cut off date to receive your FREE commemorative event t-shirt as part of the weekend VIP pass is August 24th. Weekend passes without t-shirt can still be purchased after that date.

Hey kids-

Look what the cat drug in...

Limited edition FONG FEST serigraph screen prints from the
inimitable Steve Walters at Screwball Press, one of the finest
gig-poster producers in the country.

Hand-numbered, signed edition of just 100; these are gonna
go quick at $10 bucks each and will only be available at the event!

Now just THINK of how nice these'll look framed and hanging in yer
pad... they're sure to swell-en things up a bit...

If you have been on the fence about purchasing tickets to "Fong Fest" here's an excellent reason to get off it and buy 'em now!!!

In keeping with the Celebration of Aloha Spirit, The Red Palms chapter of the FOM will be conducting a charity raffle to benefit Catnap from the Heart a local animal shelter here in suburban La Grange, IL.
http://www.catnapfromtheheart.org/

The raffle will be part of Saturday's outdoor festivities, and all items will be on display in the restaurant that day. Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00 and will be available for purchase throughout the day. Winning numbers for all raffle items will be drawn approximately 8pm Saturday evening.

We have some pretty cool stuff that has been donated that we'll be posting right on up to the event so stay tuned.

Now, for your viewing pleasure we bring you item number one...

...this groovy Witco World piece combines their signature style along with the combination of metal used to form the continents. The piece measures a whopping 3' in length (with hanger) and globe is approximately 2' in diameter.

Call 708-442-7080 and order your tickets today!

See ya'll at the Chef!

By the way the poster came out great Pete!!!! Can't wait to see one in person.

Here's Raffle Item #2...

...a brand spankin' new Lanikai Soprano Ukulele courtesy of our friends at Uncle Jon's Music!

All items will be on display in the restaurant the day of the event. Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00 and will be available for purchase throughout the day. Winning numbers for all raffle items will be drawn approximately 8pm Saturday evening.

The day pass is now on sale for the price of $35.00 ($40.00 at the door). Day pass is for the outdoor portion of the event which features 9 bands starting at 1:30 pm until 10:00 pm. Also, the weekend pass is still available, plus the Chef purchased some extra t-shirts, so ya still may be able to get in on the shirt deal. Call Duane or Betty at the Chef @ 708-442-7080 and get yours!

Stay tuned for more exciting updates!!!!! :D

Greetings !!!

Thursday nite before the fong fest, we were planning a get together meet and greet at Hala kahiki for local tiki folk and those coming from out of town.... I need to get a rough head count of the number of people interested in showing up thursday night about 8 p.m. ish for drinks. We will have our own space in the back room with our own bar, and drinks will be made and served by the owner himself, which mans they will be really good and not short on the pour. Just let me know by either posting here or sending me a p.m. - you have till monday night to let me know. I'm only asking for a rough head count so that the owner doesn't get blind sided by a bunch of people showing up and not enough wait staff or bar staff to accommodate.

Thanks so much in advance and hope to see you there and at fong fest next weekend !!

Here's the next raffle package...

...Rum Chata & Kona Coffee for 2 with vintage Kona Coffee Mills Tiki mugs

All items will be on display in the restaurant the day of the event. Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00 and will be available for purchase throughout the day. Winning numbers for all raffle items will be drawn approximately 8pm Saturday evening.

The day pass is now on sale for $35.00 ($40.00 at the door) for the outdoor portion of the event. Also, the weekend pass is still available, plus the Chef purchased some extra t-shirts, so ya still may be able to get in on the shirt deal.Call Duane or Betty at the Chef @ 708-442-7080 and get yours!

Stay tuned for more exciting updates! :D

Very stoked to return to the Chicago area and a Midwest tiki icon... Chef Shangri-La!

I'll be bringing my 2012 Collection to "Fong Music Fest 2012" this Saturday from noon - 5.

The Chef and my friends The Vastas have put together an awesome lineup of bands for the event!

The weather looks perfect, inside and out!

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones Saturday!

For yor viewing pleasure Raffle Item # 4...

...the one and only DSK Designs Shrunken Head Swag Lamp! These babies are hard to come by, but Tipsy McStagger has graciously donated this bad boy to help out with The Red Palms charity raffle to benefit Catnap from the Heart a local animal shelter here in suburban La Grange, IL.

All items will be on display in the restaurant Saturday during the event. Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00 and will be available for purchase throughout the day. Winning numbers for all raffle items will be drawn approximately 8pm Saturday evening.

The day pass is now on sale for $35.00 ($40.00 at the door) for the outdoor portion of the event. Also, the weekend pass is still available, plus the Chef purchased some extra t-shirts, so ya still may be able to get in on the shirt deal.Call Duane or Betty at the Chef @ 708-442-7080 and get yours!

More stuff coming soon so stay tuned! :D

this is gonna be great !! Lot's of great items to win in the raffle. Can't wait to see what awesome carved tiki item lake surfer is gonna donate to the raffle !!

keep up the good work, guys !!

On 2012-09-04 09:43, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
this is gonna be great !! Lot's of great items to win in the raffle. Can't wait to see what awesome carved tiki item lake surfer is gonna donate to the raffle !!

keep up the good work, guys !!

Well seeing as you brought it up and tried to spoil the surprise, I can letcha have this info, Lake will be donating a Tangaroa face carved from birch that measures 18" H x 7" W. Photo coming soon! :D

As promised here's a photo of the Tangaroa Tiki donated by Lake Tiki for the raffle on Saturday. It measures 18" H x 7" W & is hand carved from Birch!

Just one more awesome donation for the Charity raffle to benefit Catnap from the Heart a local animal shelter here in suburban La Grange, IL.
http://www.catnapfromtheheart.org/ It's been a tough year for them and we're hoping to raise some decent $$$'s to help with their ever growing expenses.

All items will be on display in the restaurant Saturday during the event. Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00 and will be available for purchase throughout the day. Winning numbers for all raffle items will be drawn approximately 8pm Saturday evening.

We're not done yet! We still got a few more raffle items to wow ya'll with, so stay tuned! :D

The t-shirts are in and they look great!

Here's a photo of Front...

Back featuring the names of all the performers...

Photos do not do this artwork justice, you'll have to check them out in person this weekend! There will be a limited supply for sale at the event for only $10.00 each, so be sure to check in early on Saturday if ya wanna get one of these groovy T's.

See ya'll at the Chef! :D :drink:

Raffle item #6 courtesy of Chef Shangri-La...

...that's right folks ya get one each of everything in that case! Top shelf: set of 4 parrot mugs, Dr. Fong mug, Head Hunter mug, and a Coconut mug. Middle shelf: Sumo Warrior mug, Lucky Maneki-neko mug, Geisha Girl mug, Parasol Girl mug, Hotei Buddha mug, and a retired Chef Shangri-La menu. Bottom shelf: a set of 4 Tiki shot glasses, Bamboo mug, Maori mug, Happy/Sad Tiki goblet, Mai Tai bucket mug, and a Moai mug. Twenty two items total if this raffle package-WoW!

Another fantabulous donation for the Charity raffle to benefit Catnap from the Heart a local animal shelter here in suburban La Grange, IL. It's been a really tough year for them (lotsa kittens along with space issues) and we're hoping to raise some decent $$$'s to help with their ever growing expenses.

All items will be on display in the restaurant Saturday during the event. Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00 and will be available for purchase throughout the day. Winning numbers for all raffle items will be drawn approximately 8pm Saturday evening and you must be present to win.

The day pass is still on sale for $35.00 ($40.00 at the door) for the outdoor portion of the event. Also, the weekend pass is still available, plus the Chef purchased some extra t-shirts, so ya still may be able to get in on the shirt deal.Call Duane or Betty at the Chef @ 708-442-7080 and get yours!

We're not done yet! We still got a couple more raffle items to show ya, so stay tuned!

Q

Holy Hula Girls!!! You have some incredible items for the auction! Way to go!

If I was only 8 hrs closer with no plans for the weekend... :/

Okole Maluna!

wish I could be there,
enjoy,
please take pics and videos.

thanks
Jeff(btd)

in the thread about this event on SG101,
Brian the owner of the SG101 site,
did a review, towards the bottom here:
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/18734/

Missed this event by one week!!! grr.. I really hope there is one next year. I will adjust my travel schedule from SoCal to Chicago so I can visit my old stomping grounds. I didn't know what I had when I was 23 living on 26th and 1st and only visiting once and great while.
Crossing my fingers for left over shwag when I visit this weekend.

On 2012-09-11 12:39, Buttercup wrote:
Missed this event by one week!!! grr.. I really hope there is one next year. I will adjust my travel schedule from SoCal to Chicago so I can visit my old stomping grounds. I didn't know what I had when I was 23 living on 26th and 1st and only visiting once and great while.
Crossing my fingers for left over shwag when I visit this weekend.

Still some Large & XL t-shirts left. Pick one up when ya go this coming weekend, they're awesome!

Hey folks-

If you missed this year's Fong Fest but want to gaze longingly at
the poster, thinking about all the fun and Dr. Fongs we had in your
honor, I still have some limited edition screen-printed posters left:

Heavyweight paper, hand-numbered & signed edition of 100, and personally
printed by one of the finest indie gig poster artists in the country,
Steve Walters at Screwball Press in Chicago.

Cost is $10 ea plus shipping- can't beat that!

Send me a PM for more info.

--Pete

Pages: 1 33 replies