Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lucky 13 Tiki News

Pages: 1 21 replies

To all of our Lucky 13 friends and family – There has been some confusion regarding the Tiki Highway event taking place this August at Don the Beachcombers. Lucky 13 will not be running this event and is no way affiliated with the people who are running it this year.
We value and appreciate your continued support of Lucky 13 and stay tuned for exciting Lucky 13 events to come in the near future!

So my question as an Event planner myself is...........

Did you not want to be involved this year or did someone take the name and concept?

And just for the record, Tiki Farm also will not be part of this event and has no role in this year's Tiki Highway event whatsoever.

Well, The Hula Girls ARE involved and will be co-headlining with the great rockabilly band The Chop Tops.
Gonna be a great event! Don't miss it!

I would love some full discloser on this Event. Something just don't add up. As I loved the first Lucky 13 Tiki Highway,It seems a second Tiki Highway without the Lucky 13 endorsement seems very strange and shall I say underhanded. Maybe I am Dead Wrong but if it's new people running the show and it isn't in Lucky 13 hands anymore,wouldn't it make more sense to call it something else?

If someone wanted to have a Tiki Caliente without my involvement or me passing the torch, I would expect some loyalty from my friends.

W

until I hear more details I don't see my involvement as a fan either.

But PLEASE bring us to light whats going on here.

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2012-06-28 16:19 ]

[ Edited by: wildsville man 2012-06-29 11:33 ]

I talked to the folks running this & they are not with Lucky 13
I got the sense that Lucky 13 did not want to do this particular event again
and you will have to talk to Lucky 13 as why.

You can bet the new folks are doing it with Lucky 13's blessing, I was told.

you may want to read the first section of the individual forum,that is what made me believe there was a rift of some kind.

It doesn't sound like an endorsement to me.

W

They are just saying they are not running it this year nor affiliated with the folks who are.
as to any behind the scenes drama,If any? I am not aware of it.

On 2012-06-28 17:08, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
They are just saying they are not running it this year nor affiliated with the folks who are.

I wish you were my parent back in High School, I would have got a way with murder.

after reading the quotes from Tiki Farm (Main Sponsor) from last year and Lucky 13 (Event Organizer) from last year above,I would believe you are out of the loop.

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2012-06-28 18:28 ]

What's with all of the trying to stir sh#t up?? Do we need the drama here?
The even benefits The National Veterans Foundation. You want to damage potential money going to that? And an otherwise potentially great event that will benefit DTB as well?

On 2012-06-28 18:35, Luckydesigns wrote:
What's with all of the trying to stir sh#t up?? Do we need the drama here?
The even benefits The National Veterans Foundation. You want to damage potential money going to that? And an otherwise potentially great event that will benefit DTB as well?

As I don't want to hurt Don's or Veterans I do believe that if the name and concept were taken without approval from the people that established it that it should not be backed by anyone in our community.

Is this true? Thats all I keep asking and no one will answer.

Maybe I am wrong and if so, I am sorry for stirring the pot and will publicly apologies.

W

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2012-06-28 18:58 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2012-06-28 19:18 ]

P

This was starting to smack of drama before Rory said anything, and Rory (and anyone else, for that matter) is well within his rights to question what is going on. The fact that no explanations are forthcoming is making the drama all that much worse.

I am not involved with this event, But was asked by the new promoters for my opinions
(Like anyone needs to ask for em?)

I was told by them that Lucky 13 did not want to do it this year, as for "out of the loop", yes I am.
But I usually go on facts before I run around all willy nilly
(Like I need a reason to run around all willy nilly!)

So what are the facts? Maybe we need to cool our jets and find out first?
Don's is sponsoring this also.

And the New Promoters seemed like a nice bunch,So........

Time to dance all Willy Nilly!

I thought Lucky 13 wasn't doing it this year Because it wasnt their big Anniversary?

That was my basic understanding as well.

On 2012-06-28 18:28, Wildsville man wrote:

On 2012-06-28 17:08, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

I wish you were my parent back in High School, I would have got a way with murder.

If that was the case, My Belt, Your Ass, Now back to your room Son, Old school baby! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was reading over this and I was surprised at what I was reading, so for everyone involved here is the real story.

My name is Matthew Means, I own and operate the Department of Customz with my business partner Tom Prewitt. 2 and a half years ago we met and started a business relationship with Art Snyder, the owner of Don the Beachcomber. We started by building custom table for Art that is currently in the bar at Dons. We continued to do projects with them and work on different ideas for shows that may benefit us mutually. Since the beginning Art and I believed that we should be doing a car/tiki show. Any one can go and ask Art directly who originally approached him about this idea and he will confirm it was me, Matthew Means. I am close friends with Heath, who works for Lucky thirteen, and we were sponsoring and helping lucky thirteen with many different events. Heath also felt and expressed to me he had thought that having a art/music/car/tiki event at Dons would be a great idea, and that he had been thinking about it too. Heath and I got together and decided to have the event and involve our business (Lucky 13 and Department of Customz) as sponsors of the event that I originally thought of with Art. During the creation of the show bobby(lucky 13) approached me and asked if this year(2011) the emphasis could be on his 20th anniversary party. We agreed with the mutual understanding that in the future the show would return to be Tiki Highway and the sponsors or focus could change. The show went ahead as planned, and Lucky 13 was billed as the title sponsor, not the owner of the show. During the show last year, Tom and I ran the car show portion, Heath and I planed and ran the cruise, Becky Sue (my fiance) was the curator of the art show, the long board was painted by Department of customz, and the Department of Customz built all the trophys. The name for the show itself was originally thought of by my partner Tom. This does not discount in any way the investment, hard work, and commitment that Lucky 13 made to the show last year, but remember they were only a sponsor of a show that I created. I worked hard to have them involved again this year, but unfortunately they declined.

I prefer to have people remain together, and my goal was to continue a tradition for years to come, at any time if Lucky 13 or any previous sponsors would like to be involved again they are welcome to come back and be a part of it.

Matthew Means

Thank You for the response. This explains A lot. As I don't usually believe someone needs to explain themselves I know several people were scratching there heads and wanted clarification on the show.

Good Luck on the show and I wish you well for future events.

W

Hey look, some facts for you drama queens......:P :P :P

Well seems like that settles this. If The 2012 Event is half as good, which I am sure it will be, than this is going to be one not to miss.
Maybe we can lock this thread and continue post on the original thread here.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43134&forum=17&2

Tiki Teach

As you hopefully read above, many of the contributors of last years show are still involved, and the creator of the show is still involved. I loved Lucky 13s help and involvement, and wish they were involved again. If we succeed again this year we will help the VETERANS, if we fail we will pick ourselves up and try again. lets get this event focused on what it is about, HAVING FUN, and succeed or fail, I will be having fun doing it.

I agree with you.

Thank you all
Mattthew

[ Edited by: TikiHighway 2012-06-29 16:04 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies