Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki ATM machine

Pages: 1 22 replies

A really cleverly done and great looking ATM machine in Bali:

http://www.treehugger.com/solar-technology/solar-powered-atm-actually-beautiful.html

And the Tiki is where? Oh, right, there ISN'T ANY.

G

On 2012-07-02 10:39, Phillip Roberts wrote:
And the Tiki is where? Oh, right, there ISN'T ANY.

Would it have been okay if he had titled it 'Tiki style...' or 'Poly-pop...'? I don't see the point of blasting someone who made a genuine effort to contribute something. It's just a link to an article, no big deal.

Is it a contribution - or a muddling of something unique? Phil's response is just one way to clarify that not just any hut made of bamboo and palm fronds is Tiki, a common misconception in this late phase of the Tiki revival, where anything tropical is called Tiki.

Repeated many times:" If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it ! "

G

On 2012-07-02 13:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is it a contribution - or a muddling of something unique? Phil's response is just one way to clarify that not just any hut made of bamboo and palm fronds is Tiki, a common misconception in this late phase of the Tiki revival, where anything tropical is called Tiki.

Repeated many times:" If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it ! "

Sven, I think your response was more educational than Phil's, I appreciate it.

G.

Greg_D_R, Don't take it as an attack, As it was not meant to be
We old timers are just being blunt, We were born in a time when being direct
was the best way to communicate, Way before being PC "Sissified" everyday conversation.

And yes "Sissified" is an actual word, Now get off my lawn!

S

Ummm..... so it's a Automatic Teller Machine Machine? :P

I just want to point out that I never said anything about it being "tiki". And I am well aware of the "put some bamboo on it and call it tiki" phenomenon. I just thought that rather than making an ugly-ass stainless and concrete contraption, these people went ahead and made something that actually fit in with it's surroundings in Bali which in my book, warranted a mention on Tiki Central, a place where I thought it might be appreciated.

And I'll let others debate the scholarly aspects of it, but I can fully imagine something like this being situated outside the Mai Kai or some other "legitimately tiki" establishment, where I guess people would like the crap out it.

Gee, I wonder where TikiCentral gets that reputation for being snippy?

P.S. And I am aware of "ATM machine", but that phrase has unfortunately slipped into common usage. Try living here in Florida, where we have half a dozen "Lake Loch xyz"'s!

OK, I just realized that yes, I did indeed slip the work "tiki" into the title of the thread. Poor choice of words. My bad...

What is "Lake Loch xyz"'s ?

Don't forget you posted this in "General Tiki"
which is alot like wandering into a "Hunting area with a sign on your back, That says Shoot Me! if I am not Tiki!"

Also I explained our "Bluntness" now get off my lawn! :lol:

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-07-02 15:49 ]

you can take that advice- to the bank!

MN

Ah, Bali. Probably 99% of the tikis and tiki masks sold in the USA come from Indonesia. :vomit:

that observation is-- on the money!

Kinda looks like some alternate reality, where Dr. Tiki and Doctor Who are the same person,... and that's the TARDIS.

MN

I will say that a Bali tiki could be a "gateway tiki". :D

Bali is one of the most enchanting, enthralling and interesting tropical places on Earth.
While not traditional Hawaiian tikis, many Balinese believe in animism and daily offerings are provided to their gods.
And the temples:

P
Philot posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2012 8:14 AM

Man, the regulars are getting surly lately after a few too many "what is this" or "what is this worth" threads from low-post n00bs. (btw, what does that make me? I've been lurking around off and on for years, I just don't post often.)

But really, it's not an appropriate topic unless it's directly Tiki related?
I guess discussion of rumaki recipes is right out then, since there's not Tiki in eeeewwwwwww... :P

[ Edited by: Philot 2012-07-03 08:18 ]

S

It certainly seems to me that anyone posting on TC as a new person, posting for any reason, and in some way that someone has decided isn't correct, can expect a rude reaction. I'd like to see a lot less bashing people for posting here. It's like Kurmudgeonville.

If we feel obligated to police every thread for "Tiki-ness" it will get pretty sad around here. I mean, at least be polite and educational as Big Bro does.

Swanky, I could not agree more! I've always found Sven's comments to be on measured and tactful side, emphasizing education vs. derision. As the old saying goes: "He could tell you to go to Hell and have you looking forward to the trip!"

B

Tiki or not,gotta be one of the best ATM's I've seen. They should all look this good for the prices they charge to use them now..

Dang that thing is COOL! I thought from how people were describing it of "just anything with bamboo" etc it was going to be some crappy off the shelf party store thrown together thing, and almost didn't even bother clicking to see it. They really put some thought and effort into making that. Oh well guess it goes to show everyone can unintentionally describe things poorly on the net and make it sound like what it really isn't. :wink: Gotta say I was damn impressed, it is indeed missing a tiki, but it wouldn't take much to make it look like it was intended to have a tiki built into it from the start unlike a lot of other poorly done poly inspired things I have seen. Thanks for sharing. :)

On 2012-07-03 11:27, TikiHardBop wrote:
"He could tell you to go to Hell and have you looking forward to the trip!"

I like that!!!

here's the pic from the discussed article:

Pages: 1 22 replies