Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 7-11-12 Let's Dance!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: July 11, 2012

On this week’s show we toed a tintabularious tribute to Terpsichore, the muse of dance in all its multifarious and fantasticulatory formulations.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Bananas” the 1955 version of the Sarney Norman Simmons composition recorded by Machito, taken from the collection: El Padrino.

2. “Ceremony” by Les Baxter from his 1963 LP: The Soul of Drums.

3. “Hit the Bongo” the 1970 song by Tito Puente from the antic anthology, El Rey.

4. “La Feria De Los Siglos (The Fair of the Centuries)” by Bebo Valdes and His Orchestra from their 1959 LP: Cuban Dance Party, recorded in Havana in 1959 when his orchestra was the house band of the Tropicana. He fled Cuba the following year never to return.

5. “Cuban Pete” by Mantovani from the compilation: South of the Border – Greatest Latin Hits[CD TWO]. Was the nickname for mambo dancer Pedro Aguilar and was used in the 1946 Desi Arnaz movie of the same name & the 1994 Jim Carrey movie: The Mask.

6. “Brasil Legal” by Lulu Santos, from the collection: A Night in Brazil – The Music of Brazil.

7. “Eu Quiero Um Samba” by the brilliant Brazilian group Bossacucanova from the CD: Traveler 6.

8. “History Repeating” by the Propellerheads from their CD: Decks and Drugs & Rock and Roll, featuring the superlatatious Shirley Bassey on Vocal.

9. “Springtime for Hitler,” Henry Mancini’s version of the famed anthem from Mel Brook’s 1968 movie and later Broadway musical: The Producers, taken from the anthology: The History of Space Age Pop, Vol. 1: Melodies and Mischief.

10. “I've Got You Under My Skin,” the Cole Porter song from the 1936 MGM movie: Born to Dance, performed by Charlie Palmieri on the collection: Latino Exotica.

11. 1739:17-1742:13 – “Just One of Those Things,” the Cole Porter song from the 1935 Broadway musical: Jubilee, recorded in 1952 by Peggy Lee and found on The Absolutely Essential 3 CD Collection.

12. “Ivresses” by Les Primitifs du Futur from their CD: Tribal Mussette, featuring Daniel Colin, Roland Pierre-Charles & Raul Barboza on Accordions; Fay Lovsky on Ukulele & Clarinets; and Dominique Cravic on Acoustic Guitar.

13. “Dance with Me” by Nouvelle Vague from their album: A Bande Apart, with Melanie Pain on vocal, originally recorded in 1983 by The Lords of the New Church.

14. “Rafiki (The Shur I Kan Party Mix)” by Bob Holroyd and featured on the Traveler 3 Limited Edition Rarities Bonus Disc.

Pages: 1 0 replies