Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

BALI VACATION - ANY TIKI SUGGESTIONS

Pages: 1 9 replies

I am going to vacation in Bali in August and would like suggestions, tiki or otherwise.

I plan on visiting some of the Balinese religious temples, such as Mengwi and the Mother Temple\Besakih.

While Bali is more a part of Indonesea as opposed to Polynesea, the homage to ancestoral spirits in the numerous temples does have certain similarities to tiki.

I will be staying in Sanur Beach and in Ubud.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ask Gecko Tiki. He mentioned at Tiki Ti's that he'd been to Bali more than once.

For God's Sake Christiki295!

When you go to Bali, find out what dumbass is making all those bali beads that keep coming up on ebay when I search on "tiki", and kill him!

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mr Tiki H Bong

R

On 2003-06-20 09:40, christiki295 wrote:
While Bali is more a part of Indonesea as opposed to Polynesea, the homage to ancestoral spirits in the numerous temples does have certain similarities to tiki.

I will be in SEA for 13 weeks starting 2 weeks from now. Tenitively my plans are to spend approx. 3 weeks in the Philippines, 3 weeks going from PNH to BKK, 3 weeks in Java and 3 weeks in Bali in Sept. From my pre-trip Tiki research, Bali seems every bit a contributer to the Poly-pop culture as Hawaii is, (and so is the Philippines for that matter).

One example is that many of the Tiki palaces of the 50's & 60's were built in 'A' Frame structures, faxsmiles of the Indonesia and Papua New Guinea long houses.

So I too am looking for all sights and sites Tiki, but since there is no real TRUE definition of this Ameri-mish-mash-pop-culture I guess anything having to do with classic Pan-Pacific ancient (and especially primitive-ish) culture would do.

Is Angkor Wat, Tiki? Borobudur?

I hope you have a great time, I know I will :wink:

LOL at Tiki_Bong :P

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-06-23 15:58 ]

Ratiki:

You raise a very good point. There is no longitudinal border for tiki.

Had I bothered to check further than glancing at a globe, I would have realized that the Night of the Tiki catalogue (of an tiki art show in LA featuring not only Shag and Leroy Schmaltz, but also featuring authentic tikis - and a legendary opening night party), I would have relized that, yes, tiki extends to the Phillipines, which is listed under Polynesia, and therefore includes Bali.

Also, Bali's respect for their deceased ancestors, their ubiquitous religious shrines, their harmony with the land, their physical expression of the supernatural and their appreciation of manna are all very tiki characteristics (both Hawaiian and Easter Island).

Thank you for opening my eyes to an enduring and thriving tiki culture.

Hopefully, I will be able to see the culture through this tiki prism.

Tiki Bong:(oh, excuse me)
Mr. Tiki H. Bong:

I'm somewhat of a nonviolent guy, but I share your disgust with those who would desecrate that which is tiki.

Maybe I can dry up his source by convincing the bead makers to make tikis instead.

Otherwise, maybe I can spike him on a lighted tiki torch.

please avoid cranky muslims!

R

Yes twowheels I am a bit worried about that on my Java leg, but I have been told that they cracked down with a vengence after the Kuta Beach bombing. No due process of law to wait for over there!

Bombing, arson and even damage to private property for political ends is completely reprehensible, moreso when it kills innocent vacationers (like myself).

It is an incredible juxtaposition for such a henious act on an island so far away from America filled with such a tranquil people.

Hopefully, I can help (re)spread the tiki love during the short time I will be there.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2003-06-28 02:39 ]

R

On 2003-06-28 02:35, christiki295 wrote:
Bombing, arson and even damage to private property for political ends is completely reprehensible, moreso when it kills innocent vacationers (like myself).

It is an incredible juxtaposition for such a henious act on an island so far away from America filled with such a tranquil people.

Hopefully, I can help (re)spread the tiki love during the short time I will be there.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2003-06-28 02:39 ]

Yes well I am lucky to have a bit of perspective on this because I have lived in the Middle East and know folks who work for U.S. 'intelligence'. 'They' really don't care if it is Americans they kill, since to them we are all just "Franks" or "Crusaders". Most of the folks that were slaughtered in Bali were Aussies, and they are some of the friendliest folks you could meet. It was Spanish in Morroco and so on and so on. It doesn't matter if you pretend to be (or actually are) a Kiwi or a Canadian since in there eyes we are all the same, "Infidels". But Indonesia knows which side it's bread is buttered on and after this incident wasted no time in taking care of the problem.

I am as worried about terrorists in Bali as I am SARS in Hong Kong, meaning NONE. :P

Ratiki,

Thank you for the insight and no, I was not concerned about terrosism during my trip.

Any sites I can check out the A-frame Bali tiki huts? Thanks.

Pages: 1 9 replies