Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Old, worn-out tiki ,Palm springs, Ca.

Pages: 1 8 replies

Spotted this "tiki" just as I exited the 10 at Indian Canyon.The address on the locked gate is 6545 Indian Canyon-check it out on Google satellite-pix are better than mine. He's located right next door to the Jack in the box. This was the First time I had ever used this offramp into Palm Springs. Did a search on the address, p s tiki, etc. and found nutting. I hope this is not old hat to some of you and I'll be plenny surprised if WooHoo and ST haven't seen this tiki before as they cruise in to ps from their desert abode. Maybe it's not a tiki and the desert sun (100+ dis weekend) wrecked my brain. Here's the pix and I'm gonna dig deeper Sat. a.m. Btw, he is well worn and it is difficult to see the "tiki" in dis palm stump in person-I'll get mo betta pix day after next.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-07-12 21:58 ]

What happened to the large tiki at the caliente, The one at the right side at almost front of the place as that was not there last time we visited?(nov2011)

DZ

I'd say it's a tiki just based on the fact that palm trees don't usually turn themselves 'roots up' and re-plant themselves. Love to hear if anyone finds more info on this guy! (My question: WTF is up with that giant spider??)

Here's the explaination for the giant VW Beetle spider, it probably explains the Tiki too;
"My family owns this lot and my grandfather built the VW Spider. He was a welder and mechanic, and at one point the landmark was a VW repair shop. Family has owned it for many years now, and my aunt, her husband and close friends currently reside in the warehouse which we have have always referred to as "hole in the wall." The property is essentially indicative of the lifestyle my grandfather lived -- eclectic, free and passion driven.- Dash, 04/20/2010"

That Tiki is probably 50 years old or more, palm lasts a long time in the dry desert

The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, absolutely nuts.
Only Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-14 12:10 ]

Tikiwag no one at Caliente could tell me what became of the tiki you mentioned. I did notice a couple of "new guys" as I drove through their parking lot. I'll get pix next trip.
Doc, you and the mad dog are way off on the truth about this tiki spot.
Here's the real story; This is where tikis go when they die. I took more pix to back this claim up. There are many tiki cadavers there and the spider is there to keep intruders out. He left part of his stinger in the right eye of the tiki that got too close to the gate. See!
I got this story from an old miner my wife and I bought a drink for at Melvins last night.
Cheers,
David

Old miners are not to be trusted, either he was hitting on your beautiful wife or he has something to hide and was feeding you a cockamamy story to keep you from the real truth. I suspect that the miner kidnapped those Tikis and put that spider there as a prison guard.

On 2012-07-14 06:14, TIKIWAGON wrote:
What happened to the large tiki at the caliente, The one at the right side at almost front of the place as that was not there last time we visited?(nov2011)

It was laying on its side for a while and then disappeared. Probably ended up in the dumpster...

Sorry if this is going off topic, but there's one of those VW spiders in Calgary, outside a mechanic's shop.

Oddly enough, it's across the street from a what may have been a Tiki restaurant.

See! the miner said there's a tiki cemetery in every country. They even have a "Dia de los tikimuertos" in Mexico.
Mahalo STD,
David

Pages: 1 8 replies