Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco Headboard?

Pages: 1 11 replies

S

Popped in an antique/junk store today and found this in the back corner. It was covered with a bunch of other junk so I could not get a good picture. However, it is a King size headboard and has 5 of these panels. The center panel is the tallest. Is this witco perchance or just a snazzy headboard with the same style wood? The lady that owns the store could only tell me she thought it was from the 40-60's and was "solid built". She really had no information about it. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It's Witco, but why would we care? It's not of any particular artistic or Tiki-related merit.

S

IT was of curiosity to me and I figured this would be the place to inquire.

Tread carefuly stranger,there has been some blood in the water here lately,
and the 'Cool Kids' are Hungry.

Why not just post it under the existing "Show me your Witco" thread? (It's really easy to find, always at the top of the Collecting Tiki forum).

That's a better approach than to start a new thread for something that is.....ahhh... rather mundane.

DC

I am truly surprised than anyone bothers to post here anymore. Why should he post this in the existing Witco thread? The question was IS this Witco - if it wasn't you'd be all over him for it in the Witco thread. And why jump on this person for asking a truly simple question? Jesus H. Christ, just ignore it if it bothers you so damn much. It's like all the old posters, the truly elite, The inner circle of tiki coolness and awareness, should get their own message board since they incessantly bitch about the dumb questions, the newbies, the repeat posts, etc. Make your own message board and bask in its glory and exclusivity and profound tiki knowledge.

Your schtick is gettin' mighty old, David. This has nothing to do with being cool. I am merely giving an honest appraisal from my point of view, which is informed by over 20 years of collecting and researching Witco and Tiki. And happily, I don't give a damn if any feathers are ruffled, and people think I am being elitist. I have published two books, many articles, and more photos on the subject than most anybody else, and I know what I am talking about. Everybody here is free to take it or leave it.

As original, vintage Tiki decor is becoming rarer and rarer, and harder to find, new-to-the-theme collectors are wanting to find stuff so badly that ANYTHING Witco or ANY piece of carved tourist wood is being considered Tiki art. Well it ain't, and I will continue to share my opinion about that, in the hope that Tiki style will remain as unique and rare as it appeared to me when I first came upon it.

Kittykat,

You are out of line with your comments. I was not saying don't post, I was saying don't create a new thread when there are already threads that clearly cover the subject. If you took a second to read the Show me Your Witco thread, you would discover that many new members have posted questions about whether an item was a Witco and received responses and answers to their questions.

And maybe follow your own advice:

"Jesus H. Christ, just ignore it if it bothers you so damn much."

DC

On 2012-07-16 17:55, Dustycajun wrote:
Kittykat,

You are out of line with your comments. I was not saying don't post, I was saying don't create a new thread when there are already threads that clearly cover the subject. If you took a second to read the Show me Your Witco thread, you would discover that many new members have posted questions about whether an item was a Witco and received responses and answers to their questions.

DC

Took the words right out of my mouth there Dusty.

Regarding the Witco Bed-
I know Psycho Tiki D bought a Witco bed about 4 years ago off of Craigslist (damn I have a great memory!) so if you search WITCO BED you can see what he found. Dont think it was the same design though.

On 2012-07-16 17:55, Dustycajun wrote:
Kittykat,

DC

I'm out of line?! Really? The thread is "Show Me Your Witco" and knowing how you guys function, this would have been another put down if it wasn't. The OP asked a legit question and was immediately told that the item in question was not worth responding to because it was "mundane". Truly, I don't care who has written a book or 2 or who has done what within the tiki community, because if you are going to behave like this to keep you precious tiki pure, you can have it. Where is the harm in an additional thread? is the traffic here through the roof? Is it so busy that another thread will inconvenience everyone? The rudeness is mind boggling. Are you people like this in real life, or just keyboard warriors?

[ Edited by: KittyKat65 2012-07-16 18:06 ]

KittyKat65 I admire your taking a stand & having an opinion, That's rather un-PC of you, I like it.

But I have to offer a counterpoint to the accusations of "Elitism" of late
You can disagree and argue any points Sven & Dusty and others post, But you have to know
they are coming from an "Knowledgeable point of view" they are the Experts

I have had my back & forth's with Sven in the past and all he has ever offered is his opinion
with out malice or forethought (Though I may have brought out murderous thoughts,He was always gracious enough
to leave them out of our exchanges)

And I can assure you that all of the accused "Elites" are very nice & affable people in person.

But like myself,I think many of us are sick of biting our tongues, Acting Politically correct
and just need to be honest and say what is on our minds.

Society used to be that way, People used to speak their minds, But the last couple of Generations
have adopted a very PC mindset, And I for one am sick of the weak minded kids who get their feelings hurt at the drop of a dime

So people toughen up, stop being a bunch of big babies and learn that just because someone makes a blunt, straight forward remark
That is all it is, A remark, Go ahead and disagree, Have an opinion, There is nothing wrong with that.

H

Slimman got his answer. There's really nothing more on topic for this thread.

locking it now.

Pages: 1 11 replies