Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Torch Fuel in China?

Pages: 1 4 replies

E

I've recently been sent to a quiet little town of about 500,000 people Zhejiang Province, China. I scored a great apartment with an enormous patio. I'm working on building out a koi pond and garden now, but I can't find anywhere in China that sells Citronella or Eucalyptus torch fuel. All of the chemical companies sell citronella essential oil in little bottles for cosmetic purposes. Has anyone built a tiki bar in China, or know where I can source oil? If not, does anyone know a good substitute that will still repel mosquitos?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Eggers

Eggers, I'm afraid I can't help you but I can welcome you to Tiki Central. I'm sure you can find kerosene for your torches, just not the insect repellent. I wonder if you can add the citronella essential oil to kerosine, I bet it doesn't take much.

Quite little town of half a million people ~ good one :D

Tiki Al spends part of the year working & Living in China
but bottom line you now know more then 99 percent of us just being there now?
Stay away from the "iPod" factories!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-07-15 22:43 ]

E

Thank's Mike,

I'm planning to make the torches from Chinese vases, and use 2.5-3cm(~1") braided fiberglass wick. I can have metal dowels made with small air holes to allow air into the vase. How does Kerosene burn compared to the Tiki Torch fuel I'm used to using in the US? I will adjust the diameter of the wick accordingly.

Thanks for your help,

Eggers

Here's a TC post on alternative tiki torch fuels

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32240&forum=1

Most tiki torch fuel sold in the States is Paraffin Oil, said to be the cleanest burning. Other options are kerosene (also called Jet A fuel), diesel, mineral spirits (paint thinner), heating oil, or vegetable mixed with isopropyl alcohol.

I also read that you can add one ounce of citronella essential oil per gallon of kerosene

Pages: 1 4 replies