Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Baltimore, Maryland, and DC

Pages: 1 10 replies

K
Kim posted on Fri, Jun 20, 2003 12:29 PM

Hey all! Tikitronic & I are going to be in the Baltimore area very briefly next week—he has a job interview. If (crossing fingers hopefully) he gets this job, we’ll be relocating to the area. So I have a couple of questions/requests:

What (if anything) should we really not miss during our 1-1/2 day trip (which will ideally make me really excited about moving all the way to the East Coast, leaving friends and family behind)?

Does anyone have any tips (or connections) that might help me find gainful employment over there? I have an English/Theater Arts degree, and museum admin experience, but as I only have a couple of years of professional experience, I’m concerned about getting past the initial resume-filtering-stage. I’m not too picky—assistant and admin positions are hunky-dory, but I’d prefer to be in an arts organization of some kind.

Thanks!

T

We have a pretty strong constituency of TC members in that region. Check out thier website... CLICK ME

Off the top of my head there's the Politiki in DC.

T

Kim,
Post when you are coming in. Alot of the MD-VA-DC Tikiphiles will be at Hukilau, but there will be a few here in the area. I am in the IT feild, but jdtiki is in the arts in VA.

K
Kim posted on Sat, Jun 21, 2003 10:04 AM

We're flying in on Thursday, June 26th. Tikitronic's job interview is the 27th, and I have one meeting set up at the Maryland Science Center. We head home at about 4pm on Saturday, June 28th.

So we'll be around Thursday night (we arrive at BWI at 5:30), Friday, and Saturday moring.

If anyone wants to make plans, that would probably be fun too! We're staying in Glen Burnie (that's where Tikitronic's interview is), and if the folks at his (hopefully) new job want to hang around with us Friday, we would obviously be predisposed to do that (never hurts to smooze!).

I

I am one of those who will be Florida bound when you are in town, but I'll suggest one activity that is happening on the evenings of the 26th and 27th, in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Aboard the old sailing ship the U.S.S. Constellation, is a 45 minute production of a 'Go-Go Pirate Show' ... yes, a mixture of pirates and 60's go-go dancing. I saw it last night, and found it funny and entertaining, and it is always a plus when one is able to listen to a couple of live exotica songs. The Inner Harbor itself is fairly touristy and commercial, but this is one of the more creative things to be found there.

Tickets for a 8pm Thursday show can be ordered at http://www.constellation.org/ , there still might be 'will-call' tickets available.

Also, the Visionary Art Museum, which features some very good Juxtapoz and outsider art, is only about a 5 minute walk from the Maryland Science Center.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2003-06-22 18:44 ]

K
Kim posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2003 12:27 PM

Hello! We're back from our quick-quick trip, and now I'm seeking advice from anyone familiar with the area...

We will (hopefully) know within the next 2-3 weeks if we are indeed moving eastward. I know we will not be living in Glen Burnie, because it's lame, and off the MARC line, and there is a good chance I'll be working in DC. I know DC rents are insane, so I'm thinking that (if we in fact move) we'll want to find a place somewhere between DC and Baltimore that's near one of the MARC lines.

Rent seems to be reasonable in Laurel, Savage, and Jessup, which are near the Camden line. Laurel has a college, which causes me to speculate that it might not be too strip-mall-ish...but what do you East-Coast TCers recommmend? I am utterly unfamiliar with the area, and I'd prefer to live somewhere that is not a concentration of suburban car-lot sprawl, if possible. Glen Burnie was exactly that-- no good resturants, one movie theater, etc. So please, if you have advice, dispense freely! I'll be grateful!

T

plus Glen Burnie is not the type of town one brags about living in. I live in Baltimore County so I do have to go into VA from time to time. If you thinkyou are going to be working in DC, find a place as close to DC as possible or you will be forever driving back and forth to work. On a good day 495 (Capital Beltway) still sucks.

hey y'all,

i just nailed down a new gig in an office across the street from camden yard stadium in baltimore.

no more commuting to DC! woohoo!

(doing the freak dance)

T

Cool Johnny. I work all of the harbor area. I still got to go down 95 2 times a week though. Good for you. Now you got a fine 15 min ride home. :)

Excellent, J$! Welcome home!

I work next to the Marriott Waterfront, in Harbor East. Perhaps those of us who work downtown can meet up for happy hour after work. :)

Deery

thanx! i was thinking that too, maybe some ding how action (or elsewhere). i don't transition for another month, tho, finishing up stuff here in dc...

Pages: 1 10 replies