Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

maori/polynesian designs!

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi tikicentral members,
i have a friend from newzealand who told me that if someone not maori using maori designs and pattern in their carvings or works might get problems.
he told me that most maori designs are under "copy right protection" and that the maori people are very strict in enforcing their rights,
because its their cultural heritage.
does anyone knows something about that topic?
best wishes
rioturban

[ Edited by: RIOTURBAN 2012-07-18 05:04 ]

I think they would have a hard time enforcing that. I'm not sure about international law, but in the US anything from before 1923 is now public domain. And anything from 1923 to 1963 that was published without a copyright notice is also in public domain.

K

I like Tiki art better anyway.

i think its only important for those non-maori who live in newzealand.
maybe you have to ask the lokal maori chief.i try to get some more informations and post them here.

I hear Mike Tyson may lose the right to use his face for commercial purposes, unless he pays royalties.

I think your friend is jealous of your artistic talent.

hehe,what a pitty for mike!
well, reason for his statement was that i said- next time i visit my aunt in NZ i gonna carve her a big tiki for her garden.
i gonna ask the local maorichief if its ok to put up a tiki.if not-he will eat me and i hope one of you guys gonna make a funny thing out of my bones!

Pages: 1 6 replies