Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Modern Architecture + Tiki Obsession = ???

Pages: 1 20 replies

I have a strange obsession over two seemingly disparate affairs: Modern Architecture and all things tiki. First question, can both of these exist in the same location, and if so, does anyone have any examples? They obviously fit together with mid century modern, but what about pure minimalism?

[ Edited by: ecubersax 2012-07-22 17:40 ]

J

Don't even get me started! short answer is YES!
see you got off easy, now go do some research.....I will be right here when you get back.......

Ahhh! The kinder, gentler ATP!

Tiki architecture and modernism often overlap, such as Caliente Tropics:

This is a good blog on the issue:
http://tikiarchitecture.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: christiki295 2012-07-23 00:54 ]

All great posts and examples of modern Tiki. Definately check those links out. Like ATP said. Do the research. Tiki does not have too be focused on Mid-century. Mid-century was Tikis heyday which made it so cool. But there are all kinds of examples of Tikiphiles mixing Modern with Tiki. Hope you find your way. :D

I appreciate the answers and postings. However, when I'm talking about "modern" architecture, I'm talking about folks like Mies, Corbu, Neutra...I've never, for example, been able to find images of a mug display in a modern interior. The closest I've ever found is Hula's in Phoenix. Maybe it's as simple as the order they're displayed, grouped by colors on a clean palette.

As you said, mid-century modernism and Tiki go together well, but you can forget about Mies, Neutra, and those name architects. Those guys where way too high-brow to ever pay any attention to Tiki, which was a purely populist, middle-brow style. Even forefather Frank Lloyd Wright denied that many of his early works had anything to do with Mayan Revival style (though they clearly did). That's why Tiki was never appreciated and defined as a genre in its own day: The culture critics and "taste police" pooh poohed it as popular kitsch.

I divide Tiki into two basic aesthetics, which both work, depending on your personal taste:
There is the classic multi-layered, floor-to-ceiling Tiki style that can be seen in many home bars nowadays:

Tropical materials and woodcarvings everywhere, a horn-of-plenty of South Seas paraphernalia

....and then there is the "Tiki Modern" look of select primitive art pieces, standing by themselves in a modernist environment, placed so that their primitive, organic forms contrast but augment the clean, sleek lines of a modernist exterior/interior.

The stripped-down glass box house really had only one use close to Tiki, that of a display case for the sophisticated "primitive art" collector. "Tiki Modern" style was much more exuberant, along the lines of Googie, with amoeba shapes and jetting A-frames, and its architect heroes were the likes of Armet & Davis and Pat DeRosa.

If you check some of the issues or books from Atomic Ranch you will see that Tiki nad Modern fit quite nicely together.

Well BigBro said it as well as I could, but you won't find Tiki Mug collections in the old MCM homes/Buildings
as the collecting of mugs is part of the modern Tiki Revival.

Does anyone here know of someone rabidly collecting mugs in the 50s or 60s, like we do today?

K

On 2012-07-23 18:33, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well BigBro said it as well as I could,

lol

B

On 2012-07-23 16:49, bigbrotiki wrote:

....and then there is the "Tiki Modern" look of select primitive art pieces, standing by themselves in a modernist environment, placed so that their primitive, organic forms contrast but augment the clean, sleek lines of a modernist exterior/interior.

Z
zond2 posted on Tue, Jul 24, 2012 8:31 PM

What we need is a TC meetup over the first weekend of Modernism Week in PS in February 2013!

I love yours and JG set up ATP. It looks awesome. :D. Great example of modern and Tiki.

You have good taste forgotten tikiman!

Below is a snippet from an earlier swipe at a similar topic.

Best
Mark

On 2008-09-21 13:30, Sparkle Mark wrote:
To be fair about the clutter issues our tiki bar lives in between our living room and the family room. It's an island of bamboo in a sea of mid-century modern.
This shot is the tiki bar from the living room.

This is closer to the business end of the bar and it's how you are greeted as you enter our house.
(Our cherished copy of "Tiki Modern" lives here BTW)

Here are some old coconut heads hanging over what was a set of two planters but is now a lava-like red light box.
This is the boundary between bar and living room.

Here is the view from the family/dining room looking into the living room.
This is the business end of the bar. Notice that there is a nice glass float hanging there.

Back behind the bar I made some shelves to keep stuff.

There's also a big hanging cabinet over the bar to store liquor n'more which is home to some tiki drummers.
I have to say that I would go for jetsom & flotsam coating every surface if we had a tiki bar in it's own room.
This bar lives in the middle of our house and it needs to play nice with the clean lines of the rest of the house.
BUT the tiki influence does spill into the rest of the house with pictures accessories and the color pallet.

The original thread for the before & after pictures of the Bamboo Bar can be found here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19049&forum=18&start=210&222

[ Edited by: Sparkle Mark 2008-09-21 15:15 ]

I think we MCM/Tiki crowd just co-opted this thread......

The following images are from the 2005 Tiki Crawl in Portland.
The bar is a bit MCM & I have a clean collection of mugs on display.

The party was sponsored by the distributor for Cruzan and RedRum/VooDoo.

Best
Mark

K
kiara posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2012 3:33 PM

Tiki modern, I live right down the street from Sparkle Mark:)

Pages: 1 20 replies