Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

My creations-Lamps and other projects

Pages: 1 12 replies

S

Hi there!

Here are some of my projects- lamps and other stuff that I have created in past few years.

Float lamps:

6" glass

12" glass

Acrylics-6" ones

here they are lit up:

Here is a lighter blue one I had hanging outside and a huge monster 16" globe that took a very long time to tie :D

Didn't get a chance to take a pic of it lit up before it got sold, but you can see sunlight coming though it below

I've also been obsessed with shrunken heads, so I sorta converted one of the cheapy party store ones into a light.

Puffer lamps.

Then and of course, naturally, once you have done a puffer, on to the next-my all time fav tiki lamp :D puffer in a float! Yes. They make me bleed, ouch, but they are worth it! :)

Shell lamp.

Here are a few more I made a while ago, bamboo ones were a special request from a friend.

First one of it's type:

Basket/hat/resin combos:

Tiki is really inspiring and exciting to me and it keeps me motivated to try different things.

During our trip to Chicago a few years ago, we made a stop at Natural History Museum and checked out their Oceanic exhibit, oh my! They have a huge collection of PNG items, mind-blowing. I have seen Duk Duk before, but not a life-sized one, so I got inspired to make a mug.

These are my first attempts at the world of ceramics :P

and here is another one, hand built coils, it is small so it holds my swizzles :P

So the proportions were a bit off on the first Duk, so I made another one.

Floats again!

I had one of those old vintage Duraglass floats, so I made him a net! New type of the net made with treated rope.

Drilled glass float:

Small 5" yellow float drilled and sandblasted on the inside and out:

Handblown glass:

A few small floats, and a small 5" lamp,-handblown by me, sandblasted.

9" blue float- handblown by me, net made with hemp rope.

I hope you like it! More coming soon! :wink:

-Lena.

[ Edited by: spiked 2012-09-26 14:46 ]

[ Edited by: spiked 2015-01-07 10:32 ]

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jul 23, 2012 3:32 PM

Great work.... love em.

S

Thank you!

I looked once, I looked twice, I kept looking at all the work you have accomplished. The lights are perfect and the mood in the beautiful room is outstanding. I loved the starfish on the bottom of the lamp. Every lamp is perfect. I know how long it takes to put photos on these threads (I do it every morning) so thank you for doing that as well. I hope you will have more to add in the future. Wendy

S

Thank you so much!! Wendy- are you awesome and so kind!! :)

Nice work!

P

these are awesome!!!

S

Thank you all! :D

Here are the some updates, as I promised.
I have recently been commissioned by the new place in town to make some lamps for them.
Here are is what they ended up with, first is a picture that one of the owners snapped of me, when I delivered the lamp:

One of two of my glass blown floats that they have:

The most exciting to make were two custom pieces that I personally just love!!
I have collaborated with an amazing artist and great friend Capt'n Skully and equally amazing artist and friend Bob to make them super cool and awesome- :D -Tiki drum lamp (Kona Style Lono Drum lamp) and a skull chandelier, (Matau Skull lamp).

Here they are:

I had one more skull left over, so I decided to make a reproduction of one of the Papua New Guinea decorated skulls from 'Oceanic Art' book by Anthony J P Meyer.
He now lives above the bar and named 'The Seventh Skull' :)

Thank you for looking!

-Lena

Here is the link to the article, a lot of love went into making this place happen!

http://www.columbusunderground.com/the-making-of-a-tiki-bar-behind-the-scenes-at-grass-skirt

[ Edited by: spiked 2012-09-26 14:42 ]

[ Edited by: spiked 2012-09-26 14:45 ]

Outstanding!

T

'The Seventh Skull' is very cool.
Great job Lena and Friends.
I can see Erics influence in there.
Also see Eric got his Kahiki lamp done.
Can't wait to see the lights.

Wow I like everything you've done. Wendy

S

Thank you, guys!! :D

Eric and Bob are awesome!! I cannot wait to work with them again, I have so many ideas to do some bigger pieces :)

P

Nice work!

Just gave me a great idea - a shrunken head in a fishing float. One more thing for my ridiculously full todo list.

On 2012-07-23 15:00, spiked wrote:
Hi there!

I've also been obsessed with shrunken heads, so I sorta converted one of the cheapy party store ones into a light.

Then and of course, naturally, once you have done a puffer, on to the next-my all time fav tiki lamp :D puffer in a float! Yes. They make me bleed, ouch, but they are worth it! :)

[ Edited by: spiked 2012-09-26 14:46 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies