Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Selling "Die Marquesaner und ihre Kunst"

Pages: 1 8 replies

EB

I am selling my edition of the infamous "Die Marquesaner und ihre Kunst" by German physician and anthropologist Karl von den Steinen. It is, of course, not the original piece from 1928 but a Facsimile-print from 2008 and it comes in mint condition. The publication consists of three books, No 1 is about "Tatauierung", No 2 "Plastik (sculpture) and No 3 is a catalogue of Marquesan Tikis in different museums with tons of Tikis in it. All included about 600 pages of Marquesan Art with 823 photographs and 84 plates of drawings.
It is an academic piece of work in German language but still one of the most well done studies of oceanic arts and crafts. Even if you are not able to read German it is still amazing to look at all the beautiful pictures.
Price would be 400 Dollars + shipping
If you are interested, send me a pm

Is that a reprint by these guys?:

http://www.fines-mundi.de/buchbstart.htm

They do a great job. One day when I am rich I will go shopping there, they have many other turn-of-the-century (18th-19th) travel books and colonial literature reprints that sound sooo interesting.

Anyway, these books by Karl von den Steinen are THE standard work on Marquesan art, he managed to record a dying culture just before it disappeared, and now they are the basis and reference used by many local artists - (like the work of another German :wink: )

Before living in the Marquesas, he had been researching indigenous tribes in the lower Amazon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_von_den_Steinen

V

I have those great books, in french, re-edited by the "Musée de Tahiti et des iles".
It is out of print now I believe.

EB

Yes Sven, it is by Fines Mundi. A real high-quality product and a real gem for every bibliophilic.

@ virani
I ask myself if the French version comes in the same way, three books etc. and if its just translated...

On 2012-07-31 08:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is that a reprint by these guys?:

http://www.fines-mundi.de/buchbstart.htm

They do a great job. One day when I am rich I will go shopping there, they have many other turn-of-the-century (18th-19th) travel books and colonial literature reprints that sound sooo interesting.

Anyway, these books by Karl von den Steinen are THE standard work on Marquesan art, he managed to record a dying culture just before it disappeared, and now they are the basis and reference used by many local artists - (like the work of another German :wink: )

Before living in the Marquesas, he had been researching indigenous tribes in the lower Amazon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_von_den_Steinen

[ Edited by: El Buho 2012-07-31 23:26 ]

V

yes, I believe it is the same version.
They just translated the text. Even the font is the same. Really awesome books. I wonder if they did an english version, couldn't find it online. But you're right, the pictures speaks for themselves, the text is not so important.

I bought it new a few years ago, for like 40/50 euros each. How come it is so expensive now ? They only edited a few ?

EB

I don't know the circumstances of the publication. I bought it for more than 800 Euro a few years ago.

On 2012-08-01 00:53, virani wrote:
yes, I believe it is the same version.
They just translated the text. Even the font is the same. Really awesome books. I wonder if they did an english version, couldn't find it online. But you're right, the pictures speaks for themselves, the text is not so important.

I bought it new a few years ago, for like 40/50 euros each. How come it is so expensive now ? They only edited a few ?

EB

Puh, haven't thought there would be so less interest... Come on, make me an offer :wink:

It's not the lack of interest, it is the lack of money, in this economy.

M

It's not the lack of interest, it is the lack of money, in this economy.

Besides, in Germany this set currently retails for half of his asking price. Makes it even harder to resist...at least for us Germans.

Pages: 1 8 replies