Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

The Tiki Bar- Solomon's Island, MD

Pages: 1 2 replies

W

Finally I got to visit a Tiki Bar in the Solomon's. Sort of. Solomon's Island is kind of out of the way in Southern Maryland, a short drive from NAS Patuxent River. An interesting sight in a small Chesapeake Bay type waterside community to say the least. The drinks were okay, but given the location they do put off a good tropical vibe. As you can see in the pictures besides the bar proper they've put sand and beach chairs out along their little strip of road for outdoor drinking. Not something I'd recommend going out of the way on a trip to DC for but if you're in the area worth spending an evening in. Besides the bar proper and the two 'beach' bars on the sand they also have a restaurant called 'The Grill SGT', a tobacco shop and a gift shop. It also appears to have a few type rooms.

The approach- Note the Moai, sand and general kitschy-ness.

The main bar, complete with tiki poles and tiki style carvings on the posts keeping up the roof.

It' good to have an update on the place. It would have been better to post it in the thread for it :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19679&forum=1

....which is another example of why to post images directly to TC, and not from Flicker or other photo bucket sites. At least that is the reason as far as I understand that the images are now all postage stamp size on the above thread. Really a bummer, Bosko did such unique, stellar work for the place.

W

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll repost on the other thread. Solomon's Island is so far out in the Maryland sticks it didn't occur to me that would already have a thread.

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2012-08-05 21:40 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies