Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Bay Area International Tiki Day Event: Tiki Bay Cruise! 8/9/03

Pages: 1 21 replies

M

OK Gang!

I polled several No. Cal Members about this idea, and have recieved enough positive feedback to go ahead and post it here. Read all about it below:

Imagine this: You’re cruising the bay in style, with beautiful views of Alcatraz, the SF skyline, and under the Golden Gate Bridge. All the while there’s a tasty appetizer in one hand and a Fog Cutter in the other. Good company, good drinks, and the ship is all ours. Ply the same waters as the Matson cruise ships of the 50s! Two full hours (the “three hour tour..three hour tour” is too pricey). Now get this: in
addition to the finger food (GOOD finger food) the bar is FULLY HOSTED for the whole two hours. And not just any bar: I spoke with them today about our groups “unique” beverage needs. I’m pleased to say that they will be able to provide fresh juices and welcomed the submission of recipes for classic tiki drinks. How about it? Want to inaugurate International Tiki Day in a stylish and uniquely San Franciscan way?
The details: We need a minimum of 30 people. It leaves from the Berkeley Marina (easy parking!) at 3pm. (night/sunset cruises way too expensive). The price, including food, all-the-Mai-Tais-you-can-drink, all taxes and gratuities, the works, is $69 per person. Now I know that’s a little steep. But I think you get a lot for that price. We could always hit a bar/home bar/etc. afterwards to continue the evening. I have reserved the SS Captian Hornblower (yo ho ho!) for Aug. 9th. Check http://www.hornblower.com for pictures of this ship (make sure you check the interior) and http://www.hornblower.com/charters/pdfCharters/CosmoCocktail.pdf for an idea of what the food looks like.

Everyone is welcome to join us if you'll be in the Bay Area that weekend! It's going to be fab.

Here's the skinny. I have to have 30 SOLID commitments by 5:00pm Wednesday or the reservation will be lost. I need put down a deposit (A HUGE deposit) at the end of this week, so I need DEFINITE COMMITMENTS from people. If you are interested in doing this, post to this thread ASAP with your name and the number of people in your party. If we don't make 30 (we can have up to 45) people by Wednesday, then no big deal, I just cancel it. That's why I don't want to collect PayPal yet- I don't want to refund it and take a double hit.

*Please read the following disclaimer: By posting to this thread, I swear on the soul of Victor Bergeron that I am going on this cruise and will PAY the agreed amount in a timely fashion. I understand that to flake out would cause martiki tremendous financial hardship as he is planning to go out of pocket on a $1500 deposit. Flaking out will bring bad luck that has not been seen since the Bradys messed with that tiki, and will earn you the Scarlet Tiki of Shame from the rest of the TC Ohana. You will never again be able to taste the sweet goodness of tropical libations: All your drinks will forever taste like the ones that come from the slushie machines on Bourbon Street. No joke.

That said, I think this will be an immensely rewarding day on the water. I'll ask them if we can have a torch lighting on board! (probably not)

Ready to sail the Seven Seas of Tiki?

Get posting!

I'm in!

Martiki6,

I must say I'm proud of my No Cali tiki brothers for getting the ball rolling on our first INTERNATIONAL TIKI DAY!

All right (damn it), I admit it... You guys and gals got it going on tiki-wise.

Humuhumu, forget all we said about So Cali, move to No Cali...

T

Martin, this sounds like a blast, but money is realllly tight these days. I'll check with the missus and see if we can swing it.

Me and Muhlady

M

Bump! Bump! Bump!

I was able to hold the reservation a little longer, but I need those replies ASAP! Is this really everyone who's interested?

C'mon team!

Hey! I think I see a chink in the armor! Maybe I was wrong about being wrong! Humuhumu, keep searching So Cali. Go So Cali!!!

On 2003-06-24 11:29, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Humuhumu, keep searching So Cali. Go So Cali!!!

That's more like it. I like it better when you guys are fighting over me.

The bay cruise sounds utterly fantastic, but I can't make a committment since my life is all weird right now, and I'll probably be wanting to spend Int'l Tiki Day with my new Hoiti Toiti 'ohana. However, I'd like to see this happen even if I can't make it, so I'm happy to make a donation to the cause. Put me down for one ticket.

I'm definitely in, and my buddy Wendy's in for sure, and I've also got two maybe's I'm waiting to hear back from.

Jen

M

Ah...there's the old Bong again.

O.k.-what's the deadline now? A tikiphile here at work (a new one!) just left as I was checking the mail and she won't be back in to the office until Thursday! She is definately tiki, has relatives in Hawaii and is in to tiki drinks and the whole scene!

How many do we have signed up so far? Does it look like a go?

:drink:
Tacky Tiki

F

I'm going to try to convince my non-tiki orientated boyfriend that this is a great idea. I'll get back to you with a definite answer in the next 24 hours.

Martiki6, thanks for putting this together. I wish I could be there dangit, but I've already made arrangements to be somewhere else on that particular date. Sounds like a blast. If you do it again next year, count me and the mrs. in.

M

I've extended the reservation until Friday at noon. Get those RSVPs in if ya can!

Thanks everyone!

O.k.-add 2 for the cruise!

Tacky

F

Bummer.
Turns out we had other plans that I forgot about for that night. We can't make it.

Aloha!

Make it 3 for Tacky for the cruise!

Tacky Tiki

T

I assume you have the C-Dawg and I down, but you know what they say about ass-u-me!

M

As Heather said, don't assume- post if you're interested. We've got 12 people on this list, and only about 3 hours left before the deadline. C'mon people- rally!

M

Well, between peoples schedules and the pricey nature of this idea, it's cancelled. No big deal- Maybe we'll revisit this idea in the future...

This isn't to say we're giving up on International Tiki Day. Watch this forum for future event information, likely involving a very large bus....

Hanford: Lock this sucker and throw away the key.

On 2003-06-27 18:02, martiki6 wrote:
Hanford: Lock this sucker and throw away the key.

Before Bong makes some dumb-ass comment.

MB

Not a chance! :lol:

Pages: 1 21 replies