Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

looking for bar top ideas

Pages: 1 20 replies

I want to build an outside tiki bar. It will likely be covered, but I would prefer to make it durable to hold up to the elements...which here in Michigan includes freezing temps in addition to uv, heat, and wet weather.

So if you have any ideas and/or a photo to two to share, I'd appreciate it.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-27 12:17 ]

Slate or traverine Tile.

Get the kind with the mesh backing that holds all the little peices together.

Has a rustic look and should last a lifetime.

HT

Glass mosaic from the BOT.

Concrete with embossed designs such as palm leaves, tiki shapes, or tapa cloth shapes.

M

Some great work there McTiki! Love the look. Do the fish and shells stick up above the other pieces? Does that create a problem with tipping over drinks? I need to make the bar drunk proof lol.

@Bongo Bungalow sounds cool too. Got any photos? What's the best way to make something like that?

Here is what I did . 2x6 pine, edged with 1x4 pine, edge glued and biscuit joined, then stained and finished w/ 3 coats of gloss Minwax spar urethane . It is covered but, not impervious to rain . I am in less than tropical PA ...

Palapa table, similar process but, no stain and the boards are separate ...

Nice bar you have there. I like the lights too...what are you using under the bar for lights?

Rope lights ...

M

On 2012-08-28 04:31, jimsflies wrote:
Some great work there McTiki! Love the look. Do the fish and shells stick up above the other pieces? Does that create a problem with tipping over drinks? I need to make the bar drunk proof lol.

@Bongo Bungalow sounds cool too. Got any photos? What's the best way to make something like that?

No....all of the fish and other creatures protrude a little bit....drinks go on the 2x12 marine wood wrap. Sobriety? Lol ....I have a reputation to uphold.... Thanks for the look...... and nice words.

McTiki

McTiki, I always loved that mosaic bar top of yours and your bar in general ...

I've got a lead on a pre-fab bar for a reasonable price in great shape...just not sure if it fits my tiki thinking. It does match other outdoor wicker furniture I have. And I suppose a few tikis could be hung on the front to give it some tiki-ness.

Any thoughts? Go with something like this or hold out and build something?

As for building something...I have been looking at concrete countertops with embedded fiber optics.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-29 13:12 ]

M

Permanancy is a built.....toe in da water is prefab.....

You can do this..... look around bro....

Welcome !

Mahalo!

McTiki

QT

Check out my post; QH Tiki Deck... I used 5 colors of composite decking, cut to shape in layed in like a puzzle. Raised rattan along edges holds all pieces tight.

Yeah that looks pretty cool. Great idea!

So are the pieces just sandwiched in there or are they glued or fastened? I assume there is a solid board under them?

QT

Careful what decking mfgers you choose. If rounded edges, mine ~ 1/8, better to have solid core color. The bottom browns had lighter core which showed up a bit after running over with router. Kinda see in pic.

Spammer! get em!

D
dtel posted on Mon, Nov 11, 2013 9:16 PM

My vote is Spar Varnish, this is 2x12's burned then 5 coats of Pettit Z-Spar Captain's Varnish 1015 is the brand in the pic. If it can last outdoors on boats in the weather it should do well partially covered, it appears to be tough so far on this bar.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-11-11 21:23 ]

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-11-11 21:27 ]

@dtel Great looking bar!

I essentially did the same thing...although mine isn't as curvy and fancy as yours, I used sparathane to seal the wood. Here's a pic of the bar top I ended up with:

I still plan to trim the edge of the bar...but at this point it will be a next year project.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-11-12 06:41 ]

double post...please delete.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-11-12 06:40 ]

D
dtel posted on Tue, Nov 12, 2013 9:30 AM

Thank you
Well I was going for curvy but not fancy, I just wanted half circle with what looks like bamboo on the front. My wife said I need to build it strong someone may dance on it one day :o, I asked if I could pick who dances, probably not the best question.

I love your old time nails in the top and nice looking burn, very nice look.

Pages: 1 20 replies