Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Rancher breaks out the Chisels!

Pages: 1 18 replies

After completing the Bora Bora Bamboo Barn, my tiki enthusiasm has only grown... if you haven't checked out the barn yet go to the home tiki bar page / bora bora bamboo barn topic. or check out my blog for more carving pics and bamboo madness. http://www.tikirancher.blogspot.com

This is the first Tiki I've ever carved its about 18" tall x 6" round. I designed it as I carved...not very authentic but fun. I used a pine post (not the best material but great practice) bought some mid grade carpenters chisels and started pounding some pine. I took me about 4 hours to complete in a couple of sessions. I then decided to polychrome it since the pine wood grain wasn't the prettiest. Enjoy the tikiness!

M

Awesome first carve Rancher!

Looking forward to more from you.

Aren't those posts "treated" wood? I see them around here and they are coated with something that has a greenish hue to it. Thus I have stayed away from it.

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks McTiki,
no they weren't pressure treated. They were some specialty lumber used for a restaurant I worked on recently. Twin Peaks in Atlanta GA. They seem to be very stable as far as holding together. I'm going to use bass wood on the next and then I have a small dogwood tree I pulled out of my yard while constructing the barn. We'll see how that carves too. http://www.tikirancher.blogspot.com
Cheers

That's really impressive for a first carving!

P

nice firstie bro...

just be careful with any "treated" wood...they use poisonous chemicals & breathing the sawdust can be bad, even fatal....

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Sep 1, 2012 8:41 AM

Lookin good...you've obviously caught the bug...now keep on it!

T

Great job - love the backyard!!!

Good work! A golden tiki .... interesting!

1st carve
Wow
I think I tossed my 1st 10 or so in a fire pit

Good job

Golden tiki - well it was a pine log and the grain looked like shit..so I started busting out the rattle cans and had some hammer tone bronze that seemed to fit the bill.
I've got a couple other small ones almost done now...will post in the next couple of days...

Finally had the time to carve #2 and #3! These were carved out of bass wood and stained to get the look I was looking for. The round bald headed one I made for my son Austin's 5th birthday. The second square one is going to be for sale on my etsy bamboobarn store once I mount it on the frame work I created. Kind of a wall hanging piece. Enjoy

C
cy posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2012 11:37 AM

Very nice work tikirancher.

T

Experiment on a scrap piece of wood first. Do you want it burnt for the smell? or for the texture? Paint and stain can be use in combination with the flame. If done right you should not be able to tell the difference. I suggest stain/painting first and then burn and brush.

P

nice work.

H

On 2012-10-06 03:35, tysonlee wrote:

Experiment on a scrap piece of wood first. Do you want it burnt for the smell? or for the texture? Paint and stain can be use in combination with the flame. If done right you should not be able to tell the difference. I suggest stain/painting first and then burn and brush.

Tysonlee, your post looks JUST LIKE a post from AlohaStation. How very odd...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43968&forum=7&vpost=654268

Clearly you're not here for the right reasons.

That's funny Hakalugi. I looked at that post and thought "That seems like a relevent, thoughtful post, I wonder why Hakalugi deleted him?" Good eye Karl! :lol:

Great carvings Rancher. These may be your first tikis but this is obviously not your first rodeo. You've got some nice carving skills to go with your great building skills.

P

wow....that's weird.

On 2012-10-06 16:12, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2012-10-06 03:35, tysonlee wrote:

Tysonlee, your post looks JUST LIKE a post from AlohaStation. How very odd...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43968&forum=7&vpost=654268

Clearly you're not here for the right reasons.

Hmmm....

Note to self, don't fall asleep...

Went down to florida and found me a chunk of palm tree to carve....this is what happened...even got the daughter to start carving! Check it

Pages: 1 18 replies