Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

The DVD of Tiki - Vol. 1 // Finally for sale.

Pages: 1 25 replies

M

DVD OF TIKI – Vol.1

THE RISE AND FALL OF BACKYARD POLYNESIA
THE MOST EXOTIC CHAPTER OF AMERICAN POP CULTURE! MEET MARTIN DENNY, LEROY SCHMALTZ & BOB VAN OOSTING, ERIC ASKEW, THE BALI HAI BOYS, SVEN KIRSTEN, OTTO VON STROHEIM, SHAG, BEACHBUM BERRY AND MANY MORE.

Our documentary can now be ordered at http://www.dvdoftiki.com

Who has seen it and can recommend it?

DVD OF TIKI – Vol.1

MARTIN DENNY – SVEN KIRSTEN – BEACHBUM BERRY & MANY MORE

“PARADISE LOST”
Ready for some armchair travelling? Grab a cocktail and fly with us to the most exotic chapter in American Pop Culture: The Tiki Era!

Relive the rise and fall of Polynesian Pop. Be there. See the places and the people. Hear the stories from eye witnesses and real tiki aficionados like Martin Denny, the Bali Hai Boys, Leroy Schmaltz & Bob van Oosting, Eric Askew, Sven Kirsten, Otto von Stroheim, Shag, Beachbum Berry and many more.

The DVD OF TIKI, Vol. 1 “Paradise Lost” explores the origins of the myth of the South Seas paradise and follows a nation on their transition from the Puritan 1950s to the sexual revolution of the 70s.

The heyday of Tiki offered a wild island lifestyle with exotic sounds and intoxicating concoctions without endangering the given moral and social rules at the time.

CONTENT
Prologue: Paradise Found – The myth of the South Sea paradise
Main feature: Paradise Lost – The birth of Polynesian Pop
Contributers’ Slideshow

CHAPTERS
01 South Pacific & Michener
02 Escapism
03 Thor Heyerdahl
04 The 50th State
05 Donn The Beachcomber vs. Trader Vic
06 Oceanic Arts
07 Eli Hedley
08 Walt Disney
09 Witco
10 Black Velvet
11 The Bali Hai Boys
12 In The Pacific
13 Hapa Haole, Mele & Exotica
14 The Downfall Of Tiki

Duration: 95min.
Genre: Documentary
Audio: stereo / english
Aspect ratio: 1.77:1 (16:9 anamorphic)
Video format: SD NTSC Color
Region code: free

DIRECTED BY JOCHEN HIRSCHFELD & SCHLANGO
NARRATION BY KING KUKULELE
ORIGINAL SCORE BY SEBASTIAN HARTMANN

The DVD of Tiki

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo 2012-09-01 22:06 ]

M

April Fools' Day again? Wait...no!

Glad you finally made it :drink:

This is one of the best documentaries in regards to the tiki culture to date. I highly recommend you get this if you are on Tiki central this is a must have movie in your collection. The debut at Tiki Oasis was amazing, this will provide the details into the origins of tiki culture and bring you to the edge of its downfall. My hope is that volume 2 will be released so we can share all that is glorious tiki in the modern world.

[ Edited by: Tavarua Tiki 2012-08-31 21:06 ]

I endorse this product ! :)

http://vimeo.com/46199383

not to be greedy...but i guess i am. whens volume 2 coming? any scheduled date yet?.....great dvd and very well done. it belongs on the history channel....

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2012-09-04 14:26 ]

T

On 2012-09-02 21:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
I endorse this product ! :)

http://vimeo.com/46199383

sven, that was so off the cuff. gotta love it!

i heeded sven's well given advice; i bought two!

M

we just updated the website a bit

http://www.dvdoftiki.com

D
DJLee posted on Mon, Jan 21, 2013 4:52 PM

5 PM Pacific - Movie Night on FiredogLake - featured movie is "The DVD of Tiki" - join in with Firedog Lake's Lisa Derrick with Jochen Hirschfeld and Schlango for a LIVE discussion about the movie!! Set your browsers to http://firedoglake.com/ at 5 PM Pacific to join the conversation.

T

Better late than never, just ordered my copy as well!

P

I wanna pick-up a copy of this. The production values seem excellent from the trailer!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 2, 2014 6:10 AM

It is better than you think! Get it!

Got and watched my copy just the other day. Have worked in the entertainment biz for 15 years now and even taught video production for awhile; I was very impressed with how professionally this was handled. Nice job!

Does the Pay Pal come up in German when you try to order this DVD or is it just me?

Nope, not just you. It did for me as well. My question is, does it ship from Germany?

On 2015-05-19 11:13, Biotron2000 wrote:
Nope, not just you. It did for me as well. My question is, does it ship from Germany?

Yes, this dvd ships from Germany.

On 2015-05-19 11:18, Hakalugi wrote:

Yes, this dvd ships from Germany.

Wow, this is going to be quite a challenge for someone as patience-impaired as me :wink:

Patrick McNeal

Find me on Facebook!

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 2015-05-19 11:22 ]

Is there a way to buy a digital download version of this, rather than the physical dvd version?
Thanks!

VS

Does anyone know where I can get a copy if this DVD ?? Or is it available to watch online ??

Amazon had it

$32 on Amazon. Do we get a tub of popcorn and jumbo soda with that? Seriously tho, why is it so expensive? I'd gladly pay $5-10 to stream it once. No DVD on the planet is getting over $30 from me.

Hi Mike, first of all no one‘s forced to buy it. And the reason why it is so expensive is because the audience that this is produced for is so small. It is a very niche special interest production which cost me a lot of my private money to produce. The sale price is trying to cover the costs which I never did. That is also the reason why there is no part II. And I will also give an explanation about why there is no streaming option. It is because of limitations of usage rights for certain interviews, music, archival footage. Back in 2012 when I produced it, it was only meant for the Dvd market and now that streaming would be way more elegant I would have to renegotiate the extra rights. Something that again would cost my time and money. I hope this explains the situation. And it’s perfectly fine if you find that too expensive.

T

Don't try to buy a book of tiki then. It a great video, plus he had to send rum to some drunkies for their Kahiki footage.

Orders from the US and Canada ship from California.

Not sure why I was so angry and aggressive when I made that post 5 years ago. I did end up purchasing the DVD and am glad I did. Quality work! Thanks for all your efforts in making this and bringing it to the world.

Not sure why I was so angry and aggressive when I made that post 5 years ago.

This is a great follow up. 👍

Super stoked to find this! Ordered a copy tonight!

Pages: 1 25 replies