Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Exotic drinks in Nevada City, CA

Pages: 1 0 replies

T

Yesterday I stopped in Nevada City (in California not Nevada) for lunch on the way back from a camping trip. I spotted a Chinese Restaurant with it's menu displayed at the door and took a double take when I saw a menu of exotic drinks! The restaurant, named Fred's (224 Broad Street 530-478-9072), was closed but there's a bar next door called the Mine Shaft that was open where they make the drinks for the restaurant.

We started with a Leilani Volcano (only $11) that came in the Orchids bowl with the volcano in the center filled with flaming 151. It was very tasty! One of the best bowl drinks I've ever had. Next I had the Mai Tai ($7) that was served in a blue mermaid mug with parasol and cherry and was tasty and very strong. It was not made with fresh lime as far as I could tell but it wasn't bad. I didn't see everything she put in it but I spotted the Orgeat when she added that. Robin had the Doctor Foo ($5.75) that was served in a Fu Manchu mug and was pretty good - unlike anything I have tasted before and it seemed like the bartender poured about 10 ingredients in it. At this point I was getting a bit impaired to drive all the way home so I had to call it quits.

The other drinks they serve are:
Fog Cutter $6.50 - in Fog Cutter mug like Trader Vic's uses
Tiki Bowl $6 - no longer served in tiki bowl though menu shows sketch of one
Wahine $5.75
Zombie $7 - served in tiki mug
Blue Hawaiian $5.75 - also served in mermaid mug
Coconut $5.75 - served in coconut mug
Scorpion $6.25 - served in Scorpion bowl
Pina Colada $5.75 - served in ceramic pineapple with lid!

Drinks: Very good flavor and great presentation
Decor: Ugly in the Chinese restaurant (the contemporary Chinese Restaurant look of green and mauve and gold). The bar is a rustic old bar with a huge steer head mounted on the wall and a great mirror box with a mountain scene on the mirror (which lights up but wasn't on when we were there). The down side is the big screen TV at the end (at least the sound was off) and too many sports banners and posters.
Service: Very friendly and professional. The bartender actually looked up the recipe for the Doctor Foo (she said she doesn't make it often) instead of winging it.
Music: Fairly good lounge music that completely surprised me in such a place. I would have expected new country music.

Be sure and check out the huge collection (over 400) of cocktail shakers at the historic National Hotel across the street.

Pages: 1 0 replies