Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Ideas for a retro Hawaiian radio station name, please.

Pages: 1 20 replies

K

As some of you may know from previous "Show Us Your Record Collection" posts, I have a rather extensive life-long collection of Hawaiian/Exotica LPs...something in the neighborhood of 2,500 of them.
Over the years, off & on, I have enjoyed several stations in various formats set up by private individuals on Live365 radio on the internet. Recently, I've thought perhaps I ought to set up a station using my collection as a way of sharing this type of music with those who might enjoy it. I sometimes think that it's rather self-indulgent to just sit on all this stuff & play it for myself & a few friends only..:)
Anyway, if I do it (still not totally decided), I was planning to NOT focus on Exotica as I think that's pretty well covered already, but to focus on the Hawaiian and "pseudo-Hawaiian" recordings of the 1940s-1980s. It would be all vinyl, no CDs, and the unaltered sound quality would reflect that..I think it's part of the charm of records. So, it would cover the Native Hawaiian, Hapa-Haole, Hula acts, hotel lounge acts, easy listening orchestras & vocalists from the Mainland/Overseas, lots of steel guitar, & a smattering of exotica.
I'm sort of asking 2 questions..

1. Anyone had experience w/ Live365Radio? Good? Bad? Suggestions?
  2. Station name?? This question is important...:) I know you can tag it all sorts of ways, but I still think the actual station name is very important. It should reflect that it's "Hawaiian"..that it's somehow "retro", and that it's from "records, vinyl."

I had been think of simply "Retro Hawaiian Holiday" or "Retro Hawaiian Vacation" or "Retro Hawaiian Festival", etc. Yesterday, I thought of "Long Play Luau", but I'm not sure the "long play" reference would be caught by everyone..although I suppose it would be by the folks that it was INTENDED for.
Anyway, I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on station title.
I'm not expecting to make a big deal or production out of this, but I figure there might a few people who would enjoy hearing some of the collection and maintaining a small personal station there is quite inespensive.

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2012-09-04 13:29 ]

H

I like all the music mentioned above, it would be a dream come true to be able to listen to this music. Good luck with setting up your station if you decide to do so.
I like your TC name Kaiwaza, so maybe your name mixed in with Paradise and Hawaii... Kaiwaza's Hawaiian Paradise.

M

How about "Vintage Hawaiian" or "Classic Hawaiian" or use a classic TV show for the title "Hawaiian Eye"?

I like live365. I have had a radio station with them for 10 years. They make it easy to upload your tracks and I use a random play list. When you get listeners to sign up, for VIP, they give you kick backs to reduce your fees.

BB

K-WAZA!

A
aquarj posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2012 9:03 AM

Luau 33

TM

Awesome. Real tiki music. I love it!

K

The other day, I thought of "Pupu Platters"..a take off on an old slang term for records (platters).
Maybe a simpler approach might be better..the 33 reference is nice. Maybe "Hawaii at 33 1/3rpm." Hmmm..still thinking.

T

Kaiwaza, how about something like, The Vinyl Lanai or Kanikapila Calls? I checked out Live365 and many of the hawaiian/polynesian stations weren't available until you became a paying member, not even to take a sample listen. It would be nice to have that option, or do you know if your station be one of the free ones?

aloha, tikicoma

K

Tikicoma,
I would definitely make mine a free listening station..:)

K

I know I'm talking to myself...but how about "Hawaii Hi-Fi.....All Ha-Vinyl, All The Time."?

A

I believe "radio broadcast" in Hawaiian is "Ho'olele leo" - maybe that

"Vintage Sounds of the Island's"

Do they still use the "K" designation in radio station I.D.s? "K-Aloha""Sounds of the trade winds, blowing in from the past"

T

Retro 50

"Retro Hawaiian Hit Parade"

"Polynesian Platters from the Past"

"Vintage Vinyl Vacation"

"Vintage Vinyl Voyage"

"Vintage Vinyl Vacation Voyage"

K

So, it's up & running.
"Hawaiian Hi-Fi"
DJ Kaiwaza

I didn't realize it until yesterday, but I can change the title anytime if I want to, so I went basic..:)
I'm just starting small..it's only a four hour playlist repeated. I'll add more later as I get more used to the process.
At least anyone who doesn't have access to any of this music can enjoy it and I set it at a low enough bitate that dialup users can access it also.

http://www.live365.com/stations/kaiwaza

What's dialup?

K

I know..:)..well, maybe there are still dial-up folk out in the hinterlands. Dialup folk should have access to old school Hawaiian stuff, too..:)

So I guess your not going to use "Super Hawaiian Fun Time Sex Radio" ?

T

Hey Kaiwaza, I've hopped on your station 4 or 5 times so far, it's great! I've got to catch the whistler again to get his name so I can find that album, it makes me smile. But I keep missing the Gabby and the Sons of Hawaii music which is a bummer cause I love Gabby and haven't heard that album.

aloha and mahalo, tikicoma

K

Thanks Tikicoma! I've got a playlist of just over 10 hours of songs up now (225 songs to be exact.). I think I'll go with that & switch it out every month. Several listeners have set "Hawaiian Hi-Fi" on their presets, so that's good..:) I've noticed some of the broadcasters also have station Facebook pages you can "like" & they post LP photos,etc. I might start up one of those as well to highlight interesting LP covers or stories, or Hawaiian record related ephemera, etc.

The whistler you mentioned is Muzzy Marcellino. The LP is titled "Whistling On the Beach At Waikiki", Coral records CRL 757441. Interestingly, Muzzy is the whistler on the hit recording of the film theme from "The High & The Mighty:, an arrangement of which is included on the album.

Thanks! Sounds great so far

Pages: 1 20 replies