Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Royal Okolehao 3 - Piece Decanter

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha!

This rare Royal Okolehao bottle is made of real lava. The cup and ashtray are intact. Although the bottle does show a little wear from being handled, it has never been opened. Unfortunately since we cannot ship alcohol, I'll have to drink it before I send it to you unless you live in Southern California and would like to pick up 8)
Here is the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290772395464?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_196wt_1170

Mahalo

There are plenty of full bottles of alcohol for sale on eBay, their alcohol policy allow for it when the value is the bottle and the contents are incidental;

**1. The value of the item is in the collectible container, not its contents. Bottles of wine are not permitted because their value is often based on the wine, not the bottle.

1. The container has not been opened and any incidental contents are not intended for consumption.

2. The item is not available at any retail outlet, and the container has a value that substantially exceeds the current retail price of the alcohol in the container.

3. The seller will take all appropriate steps to ensure that the buyer is of lawful age in the buyer's and seller's jurisdiction (generally 21 years old). Buyer may be asked to provide proof of age.

4. Both the buyers and the sellers ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws and shipping regulations.**

Neither USPS or UPS will allow you to ship alcohol but it appears that FedEx will with an adult signature required:

**"We are pleased to let you know that creating alcohol shipping labels with FedEx Express® and FedEx Ground® is now easier than ever thanks to new fedex.com enhancements for shipments within the United States.

Instead of entering $AW and selecting "Adult signature required," just click on the "Alcohol" checkbox and FedEx will automatically enter the information for you."**

You probably stand a better chance of selling if the bottle is unopened.

M

Have you even introduced yourself to TC you can't just come in here and sell something without an introduction. If you had read the rules before posting you would know this. Go into the general thread and introduce yourself. Are you just coming in here to sell one item...that is way overpriced?

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2012-09-08 20:52 ]

Though I understand the valiant efforts of ATP in general, and Mymotiki here, I feel they are more and more moot. The fact is that this site has less and less activity because of Facebook migration and the general waning of the Tiki Revival, so those sales posts stick out more - also, every week there are some newbies WITHOUT commercial motivation that miss the "Introduce Yourself" thread just the same.

It's more of a problem of today's fast internet surfing times: people do not spend the time to fully explore a site before they post, (plus the fact that the introduction thread is sometimes buried.) And of course, in a depressed economy, sellers try to find the best target group for selling what they got, who can blame them - the section is called TIKI MARKETPLACE, and there is no official SIGN stating "Do not post here solely for commercial reasons!" (not even in the rules)

Consequently, one often finds sellers whose expertise is way behind that of some members here (repeating silly original dated claims like "Made from Lava") and whose price ideas are off the mark. (IF this one is still FULL with original, long extinct Okolehao, it would be worth the price, actually -Thank you Mad Dog Mike for explaining the shipping of it that way)

My sense is that if it is a legit vintage or collectors Tiki item that is being offered, one should give it a pass, but if it is clearly scattershot import spam, it should be deleted. We cannot expect every seller to A.) have an interest to become a member of the Tiki society, or B.) know the correct parlance that we can expect from each other. You can choose your friends when you're having cocktails, but not on a public internet forum.

This of course is just my personal, pragmatic view, please feel free to express yours.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-09-09 03:57 ]

OGR

Bigbro, What is this "facebook" thing you are talking about? :-? Seriously, I enjoy and learn something from all the forums, I just wish more would be posting in Locating, General, and Collecting or anything that has to do with the lost history of Tiki. That is what pulled me in. OGR

Rum, believe you me, I tried to stem the tide of the times for quite a while:

On 2011-04-18 17:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
As I said before: In my opinion, sites like Facebook are already syphoning enough of people's attention and posts AWAY from Tiki Central. Everyone is even more into their own little world now. I have had many invitations to join other internet Tiki groups, and I never did: Tiki Central is enough, why dilute the focus? I don't have a blog, and no website to speak of, this is were I dropped my anchor.

...and:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38505&forum=1&vpost=566288

...but to no avail.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-09-09 04:50 ]

T

"you can't just come in here and sell something without an introduction"
I think you would be surprised if you go back and look at how many and
who have not made an introduction of themselves here on TC.
Sometimes it's the very people that complain about it.

I saw one of these at an event and the guy wanted $25.00 bucks, and it too was full!
BUT it was in another guys hand when I walked up to the booth.
He was not sure if he was going to buy it, Man I would have snaped it
up had he not.
He must have seen me drooling over it and that pushed him over the edge.
I think it's worth $125.00 full.
What's with all these ebay rules?
I used to buy Havana Club rum full "For just the bottle" wink, wink.
Musta been some jr gman ebay cop fing things up.

Are you familiar with the Bible verse that says "Heaven helps those who help themselves"? It's NOT in the Bible.
And as for the "Thou shalt not post an item for sale until thou hast made an introduction post" that is often attributed to the TC rules, I can't find it either :D

To answer Mymotiki, I did come to sell the Okolehao decanter where it would be most revered, appreciated and enjoyed. As for it being over priced, Mahbookie sold an empty decanter for $86 on eBay last year. The distiller went out of business in the seventies, so it is rare to find a full one.

I have since posted as a new member and everyone has been so kind, especially MadDogMike :) Plus his art is madly awesome!

I'm very thankful for everyone's input. It's great to know the Okolehao may be shipped intact. I used to make gift baskets for friends and include wine in them, but the post office and UPS won't allow wine and alcohol shipping anymore unless it comes from a merchant. FedEx it is! Unless the buyer is near Zip 92706 and would like to pick it up.

H

Sven I agree with you fully. I look forward to coming to TC and spending time and looking and reading the threads that interest me. Tiki Marketplace is one of the threads I like, I have bought tiki stuff from some of these people who only posted here once just to sell their items. I don't care if these members have introduced themselves to us or not, in reality who cares? If I don't like what they have to offer I go somewhere else. too much policing and negative energy by people who are not in any position to make these judgement calls.

T

Joann - just sent you a Personal Message

T

"too much policing and negative energy by people who are not in any position to make these judgement calls"

Amen brother!!
Look for this to be pulled by ebay if the same rock thrower has you in thier sights like they pulled mine
Twice.

Oh yes, welcome to TC.

T

I guess it wasn't overpriced based on the fact it ended up selling for almost $200.

Joann, i sent you another PM a few days ago that you haven't read yet. Check it out and congrats on the sale.

Pages: 1 12 replies