Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Big Kahuna Heading Home

Pages: 1 33 replies

Just booked my flight! I'll be in L.A. by noon on October 29. I can't wait to see everybody again. I can't believe it's been a year.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-11-03 09:20 ]

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-11-06 08:15 ]

yay...but how long are you staying?

HIDE!

I land at 11:44 on Monday, I should be waiting on ATP's doorstep by 1:00! I'll be leaving the following Monday :(.

Awesome! Hopefully you will have better luck weather wise when trying to fly back.

Look forward to seeing ya--but you should try to come up to NorCal one of these trips.

One of these days, I've gotta see the Tonga Room.

What is your schedule?

My schedule's pretty wide open. I just wanna get outta here!

BK, hope to see you. You going to a Rumpus Room?

DC

If Kirby'll have me.

So when are you moving out here permanently? :)

BK

OK, I have a tentative itinerary.
Monday, October 29: Don The Beachcomber
Tuesday, October 30: Frankie's
Wednesday, October 31: Bali Hai?
Thursday, November 1: Rumpus Room? I'll be at Rumpus Romm whichever night Kirby decides to have it.
Friday, November 2: Viva Cantina, Burbank (If there's Rockabilly)
Saturday, November 3: Trader Sam's
Sunday, November 4: Tonga Hut
If anyone would like to hook up, I'd love the opportunity. If anyone has any suggestions for things to do I'd love to hear them.
See you in 23 days!, but who's counting?

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-10-07 07:02 ]

OK it is offical " Big Kahuna" Monday at Don's on the 29th
So where is your base of operations at (where you staying?)

BK

I haven't booked a hotel, yet. Last year I stayed in Whittier. That seemed to be a good central location. I really want to make it to Bali Hai, at some point, too.

T

On 2012-10-06 20:24, Big Kahuna wrote:
OK, I have a tentative itinerary.
Tuesday, October 30: Frankie's
Wednesday, October 31: Bali Hai?
Thursday, November 1: Rumpus Room? I'll be at Rumpus Romm whichever night Kirby decides to have it.
Friday, November 2: Viva Cantina, Burbank (If there's Rockabilly)
Saturday, November 3: Trader Sam's
Sunday, November 4: Tonga Hut
If anyone would like to hook up, I'd love the opportunity. If anyone has any suggestions for things to do I'd love to hear them.
See you in 23 days!, but who's counting?

Rumpus Room has been happening on Wednesdays as of late, so you might want to pencil it in for that day of the week... and if you're re-working your itinerary, and if you can swing it, you might want to consider Tiki Tuesday at La Descarga in Hollywood on (of course) Tuesday night, if you can get out to Vegas and Frankie's on a different day... just a suggestion... by the way, are there any tiki establishments out here that you have not yet visited? Or, maybe a better way to pose the question is, what have you already seen and done... maybe us SoCal Tikiphiles can clue you into stuff you might not know exists, but that you might be able to hit on your trip out here.

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2012-10-07 22:39 ]

One suggestion - check California Events to see what's happening this week too. On Thursday, The Hula Girls will be filming for Food Network at Bahooka and Saturday is International Marketplace at Don's followed by The Untouchables that evening. With that said, here's what I would suggest:

Monday - Don the Beachcomber
Tuesday - La Descarga for Tiki Tuesday
Wednesday - Rumpus Room (I typically hit Tiki Ti before RR at around 5pm too if you can meet me there)
Thursday - Bahooka for Hula Girls taping
Friday - Trader Sam's
Saturday - Don's for International Marketplace and Hula Girls/Untouchables show
Sunday - Tonga Hut for Exotica Sunday

Are you free in the day time or are you out here on business and working?

See you at Don's tonight!

S

Poly Pop you realize that The Hula Girls/UTs show is THIS weekend...BK is not coming until the last weekend of the month :)

p.s. PolyPop hope to see you this weekend!

Ah ok, for whatever reason I thought he was here already!

BK

OK, It's looking more like Vegas is not gonna happen. That Wednesday is Halloween, so Kirby suggested moving Rumpus Room to a different night. Any night is fine with me. I didn't know about La Descarga. I'm definitely going to Bali Hai, at some point. I have been to Trader Vic's, Tiki Ti, Damon's, Bahooka, Don's, Tonga Hut & Rumpus Room. I would love to go to Trader Sam's with some other TC folks. I am totally free during the day. Whatever business I need to do will be short & sweet. I welcome any & all suggestions.
Mahalo,
Rick

L

I welcome any & all suggestions.
Mahalo,
Rick

Move here. :lol:

J

On 2012-10-06 20:24, Big Kahuna wrote:

If anyone has any suggestions for things to do I'd love to hear them.

I'd skip the Disney Trader Sam's and replace it with the Hawaiian Room.

It's Tiki awesome !!

Real fake Tiki is better than fake fake Tiki, IMHO. :)

Last day of work, before my trip. I've got one eye on the clock & the other on my flight status! Get me outta here!

FLIGHT CANCELLED!!!!! I HATE NEW ENGLAND!!!!! WILL UPDATE AS SOON AS I KNOW SOMETHING.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Ha!

I love it!

Everytime, Rick, every single time.

The universe and Mother Nature don't seem to think too much of ya leaving the East.

Seems to me if you lived here you would be home already :wink:

Try again my friend...try again

Good luck!

OK! I'm all re-booked. Tuesday to Tuesday. Let's see if this one gets screwed up!

J

I'll meet you this Thu at the Ti when it opens.

Cool ??

Monday Nov 5th is now "Big Kahuna Monday" at Don's
see you there!

Well! If you're gonna twist my arm!

On 2012-10-28 14:34, JOHN-O wrote:
I'll meet you this Thu at the Ti when it opens.

Cool ??

BK

CRAP! Something came up & my sidekick had to return to Palm Springs. I am now alone in SoCal, for at least 2 days, trying to find ways to amuse myself. If anyone has any bright ideas, please text or call me at 508-341-1459.
Mahalo,
Rick

S

Go to Don's tonight and watch The Hula Girls in the Dagger Bar.

Before that you can go to Tonga Hut if you dont mind driving a bit from one to the other.

BUt don't miss The Hula Girls!

BK

I'll be at Don's. I was just looking to kill somme time beforehand.

BK

Once again, I had a great time in SoCal. I hit all the usual spot's, Oceanic Art's, Rumpus Room, Tonga Hut, Tiki Ti & Don's. I was also able to visit Bali Hai, Trader Sam's & Purple Orchid for the first time, scored a bunch of new Tiki stuff for my lounge & got to see The Hula Girls play. The weather was amazing I can't thank you guys enough for your generosity & hospitality. Til we meet, again.
Mahalo,
Rick

Great to see you again Rick, Have a good trip home
and see you here on TC til the next time out!

Pages: 1 33 replies