Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this a mug or a vase or what? "Hawaii Blue"

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hey everyone. I've searched high and low on this site and others but have yet to find any good info on what this item is. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology...but anyways.

I stumbled on it at a Goodwill in Santa Clara. My girlfriend thinks its a vase, I think its a mug. Whatever, for 2.99 I think it was worth picking up, and it will have a place at our bar no matter what it turns out to be. Still an answer to the vase mug mystery would be nice!

[ Edited by: clutchAbuse 2012-09-16 14:44 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2012-09-16 19:47 ]

Aloha,

It's a vase. Made in Japan. There is also a handled mug, plate, salt & pepper shakers, and an ashtray with the same pattern...

Here's the template for this piece on Ooga Mooga. To see some of the other pieces, just search for "Hawaii Blue". There are even more matching pieces than accounted for on Ooga Mooga, however. It's a big set.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=5333

Hey great! Thanks for the info. I actually searched ooga mooga but didn't see anything like it. So looks like its GF: 1 Me: 0 We were thinking of filling it with straws anyway. Any idea when these were made? Doesn't look to old to me, but then again I'm new to collecting. I was very surprised how old my Harvys mug I found at a different Goodwill was. Thanks again!

about 10 years ago I stumbled across that pattern and thus began the attempt to get all the pieces...I can't honestly remember if I ever did....
Anyways, someone from TC sent me this pic to help in the mission, so I repost it here to perhaps help others..

Aloha,

I too tried to amass the set and had them all at one time or another...

Like the toothpick holder and I'd forgotten the creamer.

but gave up and traded what I had many moons ago for the stuff, I really collect, Hawaii made or used Tiki.

About this pattern, I have always felt that there is something more here. Why make a creamer if there isn't a sugar bowl? and since we see a teacup, where is the teapot?

(Maybe Tikisgrl remembers an auction of a teapot? I think she pointed one out to me years ago...) If I recall, it went for a great deal of moolah.

On 2012-09-16 19:33, ErichTroudt wrote:
about 10 years ago I stumbled across that pattern and thus began the attempt to get all the pieces...I can't honestly remember if I ever did....
Anyways, someone from TC sent me this pic to help in the mission, so I repost it here to perhaps help others..

Pages: 1 5 replies