Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

32 Light Rums in a Blind Taste Test

Pages: 1 4 replies

Aloha kakou,

My friend Paul and I just finished up a massive light rum blind taste test to find which tasted best in a daiquiri. Given that there's not a lot of attention paid to light rums (at least not on this scale) I thought some of you might find it interesting. I know the Bum recommends Flor de Cana in BBB Remixed, but there are a number of others that tasted much better to us. Have a look if you're inclined, and please share your comments here or there.

http://inuakena.wordpress.com/spirit-reviews/light-rum-challenge/

Mahalo!
Josh

Great idea, and THANKS for sharing your taste test results! Tastes can vary widely from person-to-person, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how my impressions (and what's in my stock) compare with your impressions. I will have to wait until tonight because my work connection blocks some web sites. Can't wait, though.

A

On 2012-09-19 21:10, tofukulele wrote:

My friend Paul and I just finished up a massive light rum blind taste test to find which tasted best in a daiquiri.

Thank you for your service. :wink:

Interesting in that the more expensive rum almost always won. Round One: 10-6, Sweet Sixteen: 6-2, Elite Eight: 2-1-1. And in the final four, the most expensive rum was the winner. Maybe you really do get what you pay for.

I'm impressed that the $8 Calidao made it all the way to the final four. Never tried it, and I'll have to look for it.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2012-09-20 08:53 ]

S

Why did you put most expensive vs cheapest? That right there is not a blind taste test. You knew one was better than the other. You should have compared them randomly.

I'm afraid you will have to do it again. :wink:

I have a bit of the Bum's favortie Leilani Hawaiian RUm that should get in the mix and see how it holds up today...

Ha! I'm not sure I can handle another epic hangover right now, But I'll take it under advisement :)

The rums were actually tasted blindly and at random--the scores were entered into the bracket after all 32 tastings were completed. The decision to arrange the matchups by price was subjective and clearly an imperfect methodology, but given that an $8 rum ended up in the final four against a $40 rum, I don't think it was a total failure. Cheers!

Pages: 1 4 replies