Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ceci n'est pas une Tiki bar

Pages: 1 17 replies

W

Another general eBay spiel...There are a lot of Tiki bar signs put up for auction that simply say "Tiki Bar". Some of these are well crafted and some of these are, well, crap. Nonetheless, it seems to me that if one has to hang a sign in your Tiki bar that says "Tiki Bar" how much of a Tiki bar can it be?

On another note...There is a cardboard sign that comes up for auction on a regular basis that says "The Tiki Bar is Closed". Why would one ever need this sign? The Tiki bar should never be closed.

Woodmutt,

I do see your point regarding why someone would put a tiki bar sign over a tiki bar (like people that have BMW's and buy a BMW license plate holder). But I have a fairly authentic tiki bar, dripping with tiki's and masks, and I bought a tiki bar sign from Pariarts (with my name carved in wood!). The 'Tiki Bar' is supposed to be way over the top in my book. It shouldn't be coy or loaded with inferences. It should be in your face (although with minimal lighting) with gaudy - I AM TIKI BAR!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-06-27 09:48 ]

T

Some wise old man once told me...

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It's probably a duck"

In reality sign or no sign just don't pour me a short drink!

Tiki_Dong,

Personalized Tiki bar signs I understand fully, even a basic "Tiki_Dong's Tiki Bar". It's the plain "Tiki Bar" sign that I don't get...Rather than make me think of a Tiki bar it makes me think of a bar in a Howard Johnson's that calls itself a Tiki bar because they have rattan chairs and half a bottle of rum behind the bar.

I have not a sign but a wood block print my dad had done for me for my birthday. There's a cool tiki, a glass, and peeled lemon with the words John's Tiki Den below. It's great. One-of-a-kind, how can you go wrong.

K

well the tiki bar sign is simply to make your home tiki bar feel more like a real establishment...
in your town there is probably and irish pub with a sign in the window stating "irish pub" and there's probably a sex shop with neon in the window proclaiming "sex shop" ...it's this whole advertising concept which goes hand in hand with business, and making a home tiki bar is sort of an ode to that business...
:o

K

there's a guy from hawaii "islandh" making wood cutout signs that look great... he's making a killing too... here's the one I got from him.. i think i got the sign before I had a bar to hang it over!
http://www.magicmartini.com/headhunter/mybar14.jpg

H

I have to agree that a sign that only says "Tiki Bar" is lame.

W

"I have to agree that a sign that only says "Tiki Bar" is lame."

Ahh hell, this was from a hundred years ago. If I dig deep I might still manage to care. But I more or less don't give a damn nowadays as long as someone's handing me a drink across their clearly marked TIKI BAR.

I also don't have any issues with lamé...

Am I seeing the beginning of an entertaining TC sub-hobby? Excavate a moldy thread from Woofmutt's formative years, 6 or 7 years old, add an innocuous comment to fling it out of the grave, then wait to see if it provokes him into a bit of trade-mark sardonic humor? Extra points if he is clearly flustered or frustrated to see a deservedly-dead thread reignite into pages of bizarre new life (e.g., "Dance of the Tiki Mug Fairies").

T

I always thought "Tiki Bar" signs were redundant too, but someone custom ordered one a few year back, so I made a couple for them to choose from. The next event I went to, the left over "Tiki Bar" signs were the first to sell, so now I just make them.. and I have one hanging in my carving area.

W

Seriously Mr. Tony, it had never occurred to me to make "Tiki Bar" signs. I am gonna give that a whirl in my next round of making Woofmutt Stuff & Junk Like That.

While I generally try to hand crap somewhat original items that don't look like stuff one can get elsewhere I also kinda sorta more or less believe in giving the people what they want and the Magrathean planet builders' final word on making a sale: "We are not proud." (Which is why my next sales event will include a reality TV based competition in which contestants, armed only with their crappy voices, attempt to sing each other to death.)

L

I have to say Tony that I wouldn't mind having one of your signs...and my bar is whatever booze I have left sitting around and a bunch of vintage glassware I never drink out of !

BTW...I love the bird a perch figurine/sculpture/thing above you in the picture.

woofmutt: Margaritaville just came up on my iTunes...And I LIKED it!!! But it's a real beauty, a Mexican cutie, how it got here I haven't a clue! 22:21:19

Woof Woof!

I can make you a nice tiki bar sign to go with your new song.

Day-glow colors and all!

BB

Any guy with a beer and a marlboro can hook up a 'Tiki Bar' sign.

On 2009-07-11 19:43, leleliz wrote:
I have to say Tony that I wouldn't mind having one of your signs...and my bar is whatever booze I have left sitting around and a bunch of vintage glassware I never drink out of !

BTW...I love the bird a perch figurine/sculpture/thing above you in the picture.

I've offend wondered if people serve their guest's drinks in their favorite mugs or their least favorite. I guess we don't want our best to break!

P.S. That's not me in the photo, that's Harold from Harold Golen Gallery

But, how're you gonna make money selling your signs, now that anyone can go to Dollar Tree, and for only one buck, can buy a do-it-yourself kit?

(Warning: artistic talent not included)

L

On 2009-07-14 23:59, tikitony wrote:

P.S. That's not me in the photo, that's Harold from Harold Golen Gallery

Haha...well regardless I like that bird!

Pages: 1 17 replies