Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

APS Glass and Bar Supply Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 13 replies

I ran across this line of mugs online which appear to be Polish? I don't think any of these have come through Ooga Mooga or Tiki Central that I've noticed. Anybody on TC have some of these? Are these for home use or is there a Polish Tiki bar using these?

http://www.apspolska.pl/x_C_Dz__PD_49510584__PND_.html

I searched around but couldn't find anything as for bars.. Some cool designs, couple are similar to some vintage designs.. Tiki Mug Hua Ka'i looks like one I've seen before somewhere maybe.. Nice Find Tom!

The Tiki Mug Hua Ka'i reminds me of Squid's Tiki Farm Warrior mug, especially the eyes and mouth.

Definitely some interesting pieces.

I don't have any command of Polish, though. I may have to use Google Translator or Babelfish to figure out what's going on with that page...

A

Hi all

I've just been on holiday to Rhodes in Greece. A lot of the bars are selling Zombies & Mai Tais with all sorts of ingredients - not quite the recipes you're used to but some pretty good fruit punches!

I called in to one such bar & picked up these:

They did do a Trader Vic's Mai Tai in the smaller one, thumbs up to them :)

I've never seen the make 'APS Tiki' before, the owner of the bar said he ordered them from Athens & they were imported from somewhere.

A bit of googling brought up that APS Tiki are selling them wholesale via Dutch & Czech websites.

Here's (some of) the range:

http://www.apssupply.cz/lubor/aps-tiki.pdf

Really nice mugs, surprising they aren't more available given the quality - Id not hesitate to buy more if I could find some!

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-14 14:57 ]

I first encountered APS Tiki ceramics while visiting the Stockholm Tiki Room in Sweden a couple of months ago....

I was most impressed by the bowls...

On my way back to LA I stopped by in Hamburg at my local watering hole, the Cabana Tiki Bar...

...to meet Tongan Tiki Queen Sonja:

To my surprise, I found out that my friend Dirk Rheder, who had designed their menu, was also responsible for the new line of APS mugs. APS is a bar glas supply company with outlets in many Western and Eastern European countries. The Cabana bar was selling the whole line, and I really liked his Fu Manchu mug, so I bought one:

Upon my return to Europe a week ago, I contacted Dirk so I could receive an example of his latest work, a promotional mug made by APS for Bols, the Dutch liquor company:

I had fallen in love with it at first sight. Though I am a traditionalist, and I would have never thought that a WHITE Tiki concept could work, but when I saw this puppy I had to have one!:

Here it is lined up with some Bols bottles ay the Cabana Bar. It's such a great play on Dutch Delftware:

http://www.bluedelft.com/afdel.html

A real piece of eye candy...

And here's the man who created it, Dirk Rehder:

The mug is very hard to come by, the shipment was hit with Chinese penalty customs and after going back and forth went straight to the Bols company, we have no idea who they are giving these to.

A

On 2013-08-15 05:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
And here's the man who created it, Dirk Rehder:

Nice to see someone in the know! If I go through Hamburg Ill stop by the Cabana Bar :)

Any chance you can request a bit more info from your friend on which bars we can find / buy the APS mugs from & putting it on here?

I can try. I don't know if APS is willing to give out their Tiki customers list. Here's a few glimpses of their catalog:

They have EVERYTHING a bar needs:

...even some fancy mixology stuff:

Here are their Tiki offerings:

APS really seems to be everywhere (in Europe):

...headquartered in Hamburg....

...reaching all the way to Russia!

APS Tiki mug as seen at the Goldene Bar, Munich - still one of the finest mixology temples around!

Photo by Naomi Alper

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43223&forum=10

TT

Ha! When Dirk gave me mine, it was really hard to get. Maybe they heard that it is displayed in a museum now :) :

This quote kinda vexes me though:
"Designed by Rob van Looy, one of our favourite bartenders"

Here is Dirk Rehder's rendering of the mug:

Hi All,
The APS Tiki Mugs from my collection.
These are very nice,
especially the Moai looks great with this rough stone-effect glaze.

G

Those are really cool.

Thanks for the link! I just ordered a limited BOLS Mug!

Anyone know where these could be purchased in the USA?

Pages: 1 13 replies