Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aloha Okolemaluna, Mahalo for the memories

Pages: 1 30 replies

V

I just read that Okolemaluna Tiki Lounge in Kailua Kona has closed its doors today. I'm totally crushed. It was a fantastic bar staffed by fantastic people, and the drinks were amazing. There is nothing else in the state that can compare - and when your state is in the middle of the pacific ocean it is a painful thought that you need to now travel 2000 miles to get a good Mai-Tai. Bryce and crew, Mahalo for the memories - I hope someday we meet again!

Okolemaluna's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/okolemalunatikilounge

Henrik "VanTiki"

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2012-09-25 10:42 ]

I regret that I didn't get to stop by when I was in Kona two years ago. That's an interesting side of the island, both from the perspective of appearance and also what the free-standing businesses have to do in order to compete successfully against the big resort complexes and hotels. I can only hope that the talent and the tiki love from that establishment will migrate and re-form elsewhere to spread the goodness.

I know the hospitality industry is a rough place to chase the dream, but thanks for chasing it anyway. It's the one industry where you can do it right, but still get caught in all of the constant variables. To all involved, best wishes for good things to come out the experience.

Bryce is the bar manager of Forbidden Island in Alameda now.

His wife is still in Hawaii and will be coming over shortly (if she hasn't in the past week since I have seen him).

**I have to edit this based on the news from VanTiki that the bar was demo'd!

:(

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2012-09-25 13:20 ]

On 2012-09-25 11:06, SandraDee wrote:
The bar has a new owner......wait and see :)

Tease! :)

**I have to edit this because VanTIki just emailed me to tell me the bar was demo'd :(
Bryce is super cool though and its awesome to have him at FI.

He was saying how happy he is to be over here and to be working there and its a nice change of pace from running the bar.

He is an awesome addition to the staff.

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2012-09-25 13:20 ]

V

I am SO relieved! Please give Bryce a big ALOHA for me next time you see him - I am stoked to hear he is doing well. I'll miss him!

Henrik "VanTiki"

That is really sad. I visited twice this year. We had a great time, they made such great drinks. The last night my friends and I were in Kona, we were all tired and feeling lazy and hung over from a week of drinking. I convinced everyone that since it was our last night together, that we should at least go out and get one last drink(I am very glad that we did now). We sat down and ordered a Volcano Bowl. My wife was too sick to have any with us so 3 of us went to work. Finished that guy up and wanted another. The bartender that night made us an "off the menu" Volcano Bowl. Needless to say the night turned around and we had a blast! On our way out we purchased the last Gecko Kona Gold Okolemaluna tiki mug.

Best Missionaries Downfall I have ever had!!!

Thanks for the great memories!

What happened? A week ago they were posting about R&D for drink specials in October. Now they're closed and the building has been demolished?! Was it simply the bar that was demo'd or the building itself? Must be misunderstanding something. Seems awful fast to go from a business looking toward future plans to not existing at all. Bryce is happy to be over here and to be working there (FI). Am I in a time warp? Kind of a confusing thread...

C

Demolished?

Wha!?!?!?

From Sandra Dee's reply:

"**I have to edit this because VanTIki just emailed me to tell me the bar was demo'd"

It caught me by surprise as well. According to what this thread seems to be saying, they closed their doors today, have already been demolished and Bryce is already gone and established at FI. Talk about a busy day. Something tells me there is more to this story, even if only details or a more accurate timeline....

On 2012-09-25 14:28, LostIsland wrote:
From Sandra Dee's reply:
"**I have to edit this because VanTIki just emailed me to tell me the bar was demo'd"

...and we know it's not April Fool's Day today, so what gives with this news?

Bummer, I was hoping to make it to Okolemaluna on a trip to Hawaii next year.

It also explains why I got an email from my dad last night, while he's vacationing on the big island, telling me the place was closed and dark. I had bugged him to visit, not knowing it had just ceased operations. Oops.

Kevin

AT

Aloha from one sad & thirsty Kona resident - I went by the bar on my way home from work today and it's gone. Much of the wall cladding is in place still, the booths,the beautiful bar and that fantastical lava feature remain intact. BUT the place is stripped, the sign is down and the note on the door says A Hui Hou.
In the spirit of urban archaeology and all that is TIKI, I'll try and pry a door open or tip the building maintenance man for a peek inside the dark and now lifeless shell that now stands here in the mid-pacific.
Brice & Lisa are great friends and I've enjoyed seeing them growing in this world and loving each other as well as all who are in their lives. OKOLEMALUNA

LT

The bar was up for sale, did someone buy it?

Brice (or Bryce?) has been at FI for a month or so already so it wasn't overnight.

Oh OK. Shame it could not stay open. I'm glad to hear that the building is still there, just stripped of most of it's former contents. Hopefully someone will re-open it. Especially if Tiki. Initially it seemed so sudden, but I'm sure it took a few days to sort out and just came out all at once. The loss of any Tiki bar diminishes us all...

For background info, try these threads...

From February 2012;

Wanna own a tiki bar in Hawaii?

From early September 2012;

New manager at Forbidden Island

Definitely not overnight.

Very good, thank you!

Just wondering the reason(s) behind the shutdown. Island fever? Not enough business to sustain the price of paradise? I know it had been for sale for awhile, but don't know any details beyond that. We went there on our last trip to the Big Island in January and had an amazing evening there drinking some of the best concotions I have ever had to date. I felt at home once inside among the familiar artists artwork hanging on the walls and Tikiyaki playing in the background. I told our friends that live in Kona yesterday that Okolemaluna is pau hana and they were very bummed. We actually introduced them to the place and they continued to go after our visit and would take all the malihini's there. I'm going back next August for the Mai Tai Festival and was so looking forward to having another go at the place. Stoked to have had the oppurtunity to experience it once though.

Aloha everyone!

I am (or was) a bartender at Okolemaluna.

I just wanted to set some things straight. The bar had been for sale for quite a long time. We had a person place a bid on it, however this dragged on for weeks and on Monday the deal feel apart. Brice and Lisa got the call at 8am and by 10am we where tearing the bar apart.

I do not want to speculate as to the reasons why the bar was closed, but I can assure everyone that the local intrest for a bar of this type is there. It is a hard blow to the locals in the big island as the standards of cocktails and service are.... Lackluster to say the least

I hope that someone will come along and contine where Okolemaluna has left off

B
Brice posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2012 4:00 PM

The Bar was for sale and it didn't go through. We were keeping it open just for the sale of the bar, but the sale wasn't meant to be. I'm sad to close Okolemaluna but due to my new position at Forbidden Island and our tiny bar against the giants of ocean front property we called it. This wasn't a sudden or rush decision on our part. We were really hoping for the sale to go through and for all of our awesome patrons and friends to continue to get the great drinks and service they know and love. I haven't had time to morn this loss as I am so devoted to Forbidden Island and bringing Aloha and Island feel here. Okolemaluna was a lounge of love and care for all who entered. I can only remain positive about the changes going forward. I'm honored that so many of you were either a part of Okolemaluna or wanting to be. I do not wish any ill will anywhere about the doors closing. This was a dream that came true and many of you enjoyed it but the only constant is change and on our closing, a new door opens. Please know that I love and respect all of the touching comments on here and know I will be at Forbidden Island to say aloha.

Sorry to hear about Okolemaluna Brice but very stoked to here that you are at Forbidden Island.. I'm bummed I lived only an island away and never got to see it, been one of those years for a couple now since I last saw you.. I get to Cali more than Big Island so I'll be coming in hopefully sooner than later my friend...
Much aloha and success on your new adventure!
AlohA

I was super excited to check out Okolemaluna, during our trip to Kona last year...and it did not disappoint!! I sat at the bar for several hours and consumed an untold number of delicious cocktails. "Without a doubt, the best drinks in the State", I posted on facebook right after. Yes, it is with great sadness that I learned of the demise of the bar, but I'm thrilled that the Tiki Gods sent Brice to us at Forbidden Island, to carry on the good work! Welcome to Forbidden Island, Brice! May your tenure here for long and fruitful!

On 2012-09-27 12:32, Molokai Mike wrote:
Welcome to Forbidden Island, Brice! May your tenure here for long and fruitful!

I will second that!!

I am very proud to call Brice and Lisa my friends. I was able to see the beginnings of Okolemaluna taking shape and actually form into a beautiful reality. The pride they both took in the decor, the drinks, the food, was unbelievable. Hell, the lava rock fountain was created just for Okolemaluna! As life moves on, we are all given new challenges and opportunities, and are crazy not to follow new paths. It will be great to see Brice taking over reins at Forbidden Island with his inventive drink concoctions, and once Lisa joins us here on the mainland, I can't wait to see what she comes up with for new pupu!!

I am a little bummed to hear Okolemaluna has closed, since I had a day trip already planned in my upcoming November Maui trip, just to have a few drinks there. Even if new owners had taken over by that time, I wanted to keep the mana alive and well in Kona Town. I heard of the pending sale and was thrilled with the info I heard, but since it is no longer a possibility, I might not take the day trip to Kona... maybe I need to see La Mariana (Honolulu) again instead!! :wink:

Aloha, Okolemaluna! Kona's loss is Alameda and SF Bay Area's gain!! Welcome back Brice & Lisa!! A hui ho!

My wife and I were on our way to Brad Parker's Hawaii-Ween show at the Wylwnd the first night we arrived. Tradition holds that a Mai Tai or two must be par taken of on the first evening in Kailua-Kona. It usually turns into every night. We ate at Bongo Ben's for dinner and while ordering, the server, KC, told us of their demise. In celebratory mourning, we had a Mai Tai in their honor. Bottoms up Okolemaluna. You will be sorely missed.

Oh yeah.
VanTiki,
Bongo Ben's Mai Tai is pretty tasty in its own right if you can settle for a close second.
So...off to the Sea Food Bar in Kawaihae...

Tiki Slob

Awww, I was planning a trip there in the spring! Well, it looks like Forbidden Island just added some great talent, so that's a plus. But I'm so sorry about this closure. No one likes to see a Tiki bar close! Well, none of US do, anyway!

Such a bummer. Was hoping to check the place out on an upcoming trip. Now where do I go,Hooters?

TS

Mrs Slob and I too were disappointed that it was closed. Sad thing that is. We wanted to stop by there for our first Mai Tai of the trip. SO...we had to settle for a lesser place.
Aloha Okolemaluna.
TS

S

Ah, darn. I'm broken-hearted that the bar is no more, just as we are getting to the Big Island for the first time.

We arrive in Kailua-Kona tomorrow and had hoped to have a cocktail or two. I hadn't been following the thread, so didn't know it was closed.
::sigh::

Day late and a tiki short...

Pages: 1 30 replies