Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bahi Hut Lounge Sarasota, FL. Mai Tai Recipe Any Thoughts?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Can anyone, including locals.., who have had the Bahi Hut Mai Tai shed some light on the flavor profile of the drink. I myself love a strong Mai Tai and was curios of what this"secret recipe" taste like. From my internet research, it is mentioned over and over how strong the drink is. In one article I read, the bartender does state that the drink is made with 7 different types of rum, (wow!) and real fruit juices. The cocktail (in the photos I was able find) looks red, but claims there is no grenadine in the mix. So what are dominant flavors (pineapple, orange....almond...,etc) besides the rocket fuel.

Strange enough I was not able to find any info on TC, even in locating tiki?

Never been but it looks like your "average" Chinese restaurant mai tai. I can't imagine its anything more than Hawaiian punch and a load of booze. Seven rums?!?! I call BS. Unless its seven servings of rum.

I've been there and had their drinks, and they pretty much are bar juices and tons of bad rum and a whole bunch of grenadine. They'll get you there, though. The Bali Hut is a great link to history, not a great place to drink!

Thanks, I agree 7 rums in one drink does sound like BS to me too. But.... If it is bottom shelf rum maybe but what's the point, sure it'll knock you out but also taste like crap. Thats why I was surprised that so many reviews of the Bahi hut mai tai say that it also taste good.

Here is the link to the bartender commenting about the 7 rums. Good read at the least.

http://roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/southeast/rpeekfl/eatsfl/tavernsfl/balihut/index.htm

A

Next time you're there, see if they even have seven rums on the shelf.

N
nomeus posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2014 1:11 PM

this might make a few regulars of the bahi hut upset but... do not order the mai tai unless you like to drink turpentine, paint thinner, kerosene...you get the idea. it was undrinkable but the guy i gave to sitting next to me didnt have an issue. pretty sure there was rubbing alcohol in it with a splash of moonshine. save your 7$.

full to the top, with what i dont know

P
pablus posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2014 3:41 PM

It's vile. As is the Sneaky Tiki. But it's worth holding your nose and taking your medicine to hang out there with the bizarre group of regulars and others. 'Bout time for another jaunt there, I'd say.

Pages: 1 6 replies