Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Betty Blowtorch movie

Pages: 1 7 replies

If there are any old fans of teh all girl punk band that used to rule Hollywood not to long ago, "Betty Blowtorch", you should know there is a movie at the Arclight in Hollywood that the AFI is putting on tonight about Betty Blowtorch. I guess some film maker saw them play awhile back and decided to start following them around filming them to chronicle the rise of an all girl punk band. he followed them for two years, but when the lead singer died in a car accident he ended up getting a tragic ending to his movie.

http://www.bettyblowtorchmovie.com/

Saw the Betty Blowtorch movie. There was some footage of Bianca, (RIP), being interviewed in her apartment. Tpward the end of the movie she gave a little tour and low and behold, she had an Aloha Room!!! Tiki bar, bamboo, hula girls, I just fell in love with Betty Blowtorch a little bit more.

Didn't get to the Betty Blowtorch movie, but I'm hoping it comes on IFC (Independent Filmakers Channel) which is like channel 302 on my cable system. I'm a big fan of girl punk bands. My last wife played in an old L.A. band (1979) called the Castration Squad and my niece was in Ballgagger for awhile. I also love L7 and the Neptunas. Remember the '80's British girl band Fuzzbox? I think I still got the vinyl.

T

*On 2003-06-26 19:17, Shipwreckjoey wrote:*I'm a big fan of girl punk bands. My last wife played in an old L.A. band (1979) called the Castration Squad and my niece was in Ballgagger for awhile. I also love L7 and the Neptunas. Remember the '80's British girl band Fuzzbox? I think I still got the vinyl.

My favorites are the Pleasure Seekers (60s punk band from Detroit with the Quattro sisters), the Runaways, the Dinettes, and the Pandoras. I also liked the Go Gos for a while but they got too poppy. I stood in line to buy their first record and meet them at the Hollywood Tower records but though it sounded weak compared to their first 45 of "We Got The Beat". It wasn't a total loss because we met Billy Zoom because he was admiring our scooters.

DZ

My old roommates band, The One Handed Readers, used to share the bill with Ballgagger a lot when they gigged around the South Bay. They even wrote/dedicated a song to them.

Oh, and I currently have a bootleg L7 video up on eBay, if anyone is interested: Live at UCLA, 1992
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3334098880&category=1472&rd=1

I subleased my first apartment in NYC (way back when) from "The Mystery Girls", New York's premier all lesbian punk band complete with electric blue and orange decor and swastika graffiti.

Bianca's Aloha room is featured in the book "PAD the Guide to Ultraliving."

Doc Z
What other videos are you hoarding? You always have da kine video. I'll have to trek up to the Z-room soon and check out your library.

Pages: 1 7 replies