Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

havana club rum

Pages: 1 17 replies

Does anyone know where you can buy Havana Club Rum? Thanks

T

You can buy it anywhere in Canada!!! Come on up sometime, and smuggle some back in your trousers!

:)

Is that a Havana in your pants or are you from Canada?

E

Yup, and Matusalem Gran Reserva too. Oh, Lordy!

:), em

M
Mambo posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2003 7:33 PM

Damn Embargo!

Embargo? Nobody told me there was an embargo. So we are not supposed to go over there? Ahhh!

E

Well, y'all know me: my hackles rise when people do the ol' knee-jerk "damn the USA" thing...and I would never use the embargo, or anything else done by the Government, to damn an entire people, and those who do are unquestionably shitheads.

That having been said, these articles might interest some:

http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/cuban.htm

http://www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/Jan1998/editorial.asp

Me, I love Cuba. I don't love Fidel, but then I've never had anyone ask me to. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might like him more than I like, for example, Jesse Helms. But the fact is, no matter your political leaning: Cuba is a beautiful country with a beautiful culture that Americans have been denied access to for a very long time now. I think that is a real shame.

Beyond rum and cigars (and they make the best of both), we are talking about a completely unique and deep culture that embraces all aspects of life. And to those who love old Detroit cars, it's a living history museum. More stuff than you can write about here, so I'll just sign off now wishing for a swift end to this outdated embargo.

aloha, emspace.

T

As my husband wants to go to Cuba (but is American so can't) people keep telling us that it's easy for Americans to go to Cuba - just fly from Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal/Wherever on a Csnadian tour who knows ahead of time you are American and just ask for your passport to not be stamped. We're a little wary of this, because if they accidentally DID stamp it, well, that would be a verrrrry expensive mistake.

We decided to wait 3 years until he gets his Canadian (dual) citizenship... hope Fidel can last that long! WAIT FOR US FIDEL!!! WE'RE COMING!

In the meantime, you can all come over to my house, I'll serve you up some nice mojitos.

Hey Tikifish,

I read a recipe for Mojitos and i've been dying to try one with authentic Cuban rum!
Do you think Havana Club tastes better than other rums? Thanks

A couple of cuban themed places have opened up here in LA this year. Paladar and some other place right next to it that I can't remember( both designed by the same firm). Can't forget Jlo's Madre. Just finished up some decor for "The Havana Sandwhich Co." in El Segundo. FYI

T

On 2003-06-27 09:20, tiki-riviera wrote:
Hey Tikifish,

I read a recipe for Mojitos and i've been dying to try one with authentic Cuban rum!
Do you think Havana Club tastes better than other rums? Thanks

I did a taste test with Havana Club light, Bacardi light, Myers's Platinum, and Flor de Cana light. Havana Club beat them all. My 2nd. pick was Myers, 3rd. Flor de Cana, and Bacardi wasn't even close - it tasted like gasoline when tried straight.

The Havana Club gold and Anejo are also good but I haven't done a taste test against other gold rums. Gold rums vary so much in flavor that it wouldn't be as meaningful to compare them.

T

[i]..... But the fact is, no matter your political leaning: Cuba is a beautiful country with a beautiful culture that Americans have been denied access to for a very long time now. I think that is a real shame.

aloha, emspace.

There's a lot of criticism of Castro and his regime that has kept Cuba in a 50's timewarp, but I believe opening up Cuba to Americans would completely destroy any remnants of genuine Cuban culture. Sure, it looks quaint with the vintage cars, and they have the best rum/cigars/music in the world, but it's hard to imagine that could still exist with American tour buses, Starbuck's and CubanoDisney taking over their economy. I've read much about how tough life is for those who must live there, but it seems to me the alternative (cultural genocide) would be worse.

Here is a cool mojito website.Though I prefer other rums.

http://www.bacardimojito.com

E

On 2003-06-27 13:03, Tiki-bot wrote:

but I believe opening up Cuba to Americans would completely destroy any remnants of genuine Cuban culture.

Tiki-bot, right after I posted that and went to bed, I started tossing and thinking the same thing (typical bedtime behavior for me). Maybe not tho...the few Cubans I've met in Vancouver are working hard to preserve their culture. But will their kids want to? Doubtful. Farewell rumba parties, hello all-night raves.

:(, em

T

Has anyone seen Mojito Club flavored rum in the stores lately? It's a total ripoff of the Havana Club logo. I guess with the U.S. embargo there is no way for real Havana Club to protect itself from imposters like this. Buyer beware!

http://www.pernod-ricard-usa.com/brands/rum/brand_mojito.html

Hey, Americans aren't the only people who ride tourbuses and open coffee shops... Cuba is crawling with Canadians and Germans and other yahoos, don't forget! And it hasn't turned into CubanoDisney yet...

OH, I also think Havana Club is the best rum of all that I have tried. Beats the pants offa Bacardi anyday.

Oh, not if, but when...........

Pages: 1 17 replies