Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sweet Hollywaiians So Ca Tour, Oct 18-21, 2012

Pages: 1 16 replies

J

It's the Sweet Hollywaiians' So Ca tour this weekend.

3 dates but this Sun's El Segundo performance is probably the most TC-friendly. See you at the Purple Orchid beforehand !! :)

1. Thu, Oct 18th, 8:00pm
    Venue: Hip Kitty Jazz and Fondue [Claremont, CA]
    Fee: TBA

2. Fri, Oct 19th, 8:00pm
    Venue: Boulevard Music [Culver City, CA ]
    Fee: $17.50

3. Sun, Oct 21st, 7:30pm
    Venue: Old Town Music Hall [El Segundo, CA]
    Fee: $20

http://www.sweethollywaiians.com/live

Their offical bio...

**Sweet Hollywaiians are based in Osaka,Japan.

They were originally street musicians who share a common passion of Hawaiian, Swing, Ragtime, Blues, Calypso and Italian for the 1920s~1930s string band tradition in collecting the music of long forgotten legends like Sol Hoopii, King Bennie Nawahi, Roy Smeck and Eddie Lang.

This string quartet containing a dozen of string instruments like a Hawaiian steel guitar (a lap steel guitar), banjo, tipple, ukulele, mandolin, a bass and guitars. Most of the members are multi-instrumentalist and they change their instruments song by song.

Since they founded their band in 2002, so far they have released four Albums, "Ticklin' The Strings","Hula Girl"." 'O Surdato 'nnammurato","Maile Swing". And they have gone to many over sea live performances and earn the great reputations from the audiences in the U.S.A, Canada, France, Belgium, Netherlands and of course Japan.**

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-10-16 08:45 ]

Not sure if everyone already knows this, but the Hip Kitty in Claremont is a great place to see a show. Nice mid century vibe. Big leather booths to sit in, great decor. Not a bad seat in the house. Cool patio with fire pit outside. Reasonably priced drinks. Good food with even better fondue that they make right at your table. Most of the time the cover charge is only $5.00 and worth every penny. The sound is really good as well. I was told by one of the owners some time ago that he was thinking about getting the Tikiyaki Orchestra to play there which would work really well at that location. I highly recommend this venue if that helps to persuade any people on the fence about going to the show. And in case you were wondering,,,no I don't work for or have any affiliation with said venue.

Hmm... Hip Kitty's sounds like a great pit stop on my way to LV Thursday night.

I'm all over the sun show.
I haven't seen these guys before.
But I have heard their music, and they are awesome.
I am not gonna miss them again.

Jeff(btd)

T

Cindy and I are already planning the Hip Kitty Jazz club. We saw them there a couple years ago there and it was incredible. Don't miss them this time.

Ive always wanted to see them. Excellent musicians.

Ray, I might just come meet you and Cindy up at the Hip Kitty.

J

On 2012-10-16 06:40, JOHN-O wrote:

3 dates but this Sun's El Segundo performance is probably the most TC-friendly.

See you at the Purple Orchid beforehand !!

The Old Town Music hall is just down the street from Purple Orchid.

Only about 100 yards!! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-10-17 13:15 ]

T

You all missed an incredible show at the Hip Kitty club. Adrian, Cindy and I sat front row with Chris and Sarah behind us. I was shocked that there was only 25 people at the club and had plenty of empty booths available. Anyone could have walked in and sat within 50 feet of this amazing show. Maybe it wasn't announced right cause no one knew they were playing. The best part was that it was Free to all. They finished up with a duet Uke speed jam that blew us away. Go see them and buy the cd.

What a great show! Ray is right -- if you weren't there you really missed out. The one and only Sweet Hollywaiians in an intimate jazz club where every seat is a good seat. Good friends, good food, cocktails and music. And, the show was FREE!

On 2012-10-17 13:13, JOHN-O wrote:
3 dates but this Sun's El Segundo performance is probably the most TC-friendly.

See you at the Purple Orchid beforehand !!
The Old Town Music hall is just down the street from Purple Orchid.

Only about 100 yards!! :)

If you haven't seen the Sweet Hollywaiians and you live in the LA Metro area you should make a point of it Sunday night! I saw them a couple years back and really enjoyed their performance (enough to buy their cd's!)

Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys are playing with the Sweet Hollywaiians according to the website... I have been wanting to see her, so this will be a "two-fer" Sunday night!

JOHN-O has got the right idea....Stop by the Purple Orchid first (or after!) WoooHoooooooooo!

TM

On 2012-10-19 05:23, TIKI-RAY wrote:
You all missed an incredible show at the Hip Kitty club. Adrian, Cindy and I sat front row with Chris and Sarah behind us. I was shocked that there was only 25 people at the club and had plenty of empty booths available. Anyone could have walked in and sat within 50 feet of this amazing show.
[/quote

I am not shocked. No mug release. No goofy band costumes. No loud rock guitars or drums. Just pure, excellent vintage hawaiian music.

Never mind the fact that, had you gone to a classic tiki/polynesian restaurant or club back in the real tiki era...this band is what you would have seen. Or, the polynesian floor show with musicians playing this type of music.

I love the sweets. For obvious reasons. They play almost the same type of music that I do. This is to me, real tiki music. God how I would love to see tiki go back to this! I mean, mosh pits at tiki oasis? WTF? Cant get excited with a band unless they release a mug?

I have gigs all weekend and all next weekend, or you can be damn sure I would go support this band. They are excellent. Good to see people out there supporting them from this forum, though it smaller numbers then I would hope for.

End rant.

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-10-19 13:26 ]

H

Here's one of many Sweet Hollywaiian youtube clips for some quick gratification:
Sweet Hollywaiians ~ Hula Girl

Oh, Chris mentioned Janet Klein will be performing with them for their Sunday show but it looks like she will be performing with them Friday night as well... that's tonight!

Tonight!!!!

Tonight... Purple Orchid @ 6:30

CA

Loved this band,
and the opening act was great too,
good to see them jam together.
But I wish we could have got a bit more of the Hollywaiians solo.

I bought the 3 cds.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 16 replies