Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

10/24/12: CocktailToa! The Eruption of Tiki Drink & Music in Honolulu, HI

Pages: 1 3 replies

Pass Out Records, WAITIKI International LLC, & Eruption Music Fest 2012 Present:
Cocktail-Toa: The Eruption of Tiki Drink and Music
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 • 8:00 PM
Sponsored in part by The Hawaii Bitters Company & MXLGY.com

A Pop-Up Tiki Party at the Lemongrass Cafe, 83 N. King Street, Chinatown, Honolulu

The scene feels straight out of the classic Martin Denny tune: "Quiet Village" as played at "Don the Beachcombers" in Waikiki circa 1958. The music’s guaranteed to be swinging, the drinks and food divine, the company warm and welcoming.

Partygoers will step into this slice of paradise for ONE night only, on October 24, 2012, to celebrate the inaugural Eruption Music Festival (www.eruptionmusicfest.com) with a party aptly named “Cocktail-Toa: The Eruption of Tiki Drink and Live Music.” The evening will honor stunning tiki libations and music inspired by Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, and others whose lush, exotic music became the soundtrack to the midcentury. Live, acoustic exotica music will performed by Eruption Music Fest artists the Kahiki Serenaders, with visiting vibraphonist Greg Paré, bassist Randy Wong, drummer Abe Lagrimas Jr., and percussionist/bird caller Lopaka Colon.

Classic tiki cocktails (and their riffs) featuring bitters from the newly-minted Hawaii Bitters will be handcrafted for event-goers by barmen Kyle Reutner (Town Restaurant & Hawaii Bitters Company) and “The Professah,” a cocktail historian and mixologist visiting from Boston. Sample drinks like the Wai Tai (a Mai Tai variation that uses demerara rum and has aromatic notes of allspice), the Shrunken Skull (a secret blend of two rums, housemade rose & hibiscus syrups, and citrus), and the ever-popular original Zombie.  Hawaii Bitters Company will be debuting their much anticipated Mai-Tai Bitters, locally sourced and handcrafted, adding unique flavors and qualities to signature cocktails. Pupus catered by Lemongrass Cafe and additional drinks will be available ala carte.

Tickets are $25 (and include the first drink, live music, party favors, and a short slideshow presentation of Tiki in Honolulu,) and are available now: http://eruptionmusicfest.eventbrite.com.

The mini-seminar will be facilitated by Phillip Roberts, author of the best-selling "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."  Entertainment also includes excerpts from the new film "The DVD of Tiki" from Armchair Travelling and "Hawaii: Home Movies from the 1950s, 60s, & 70s" from Careless Navigator as well as live music.

Exotica—a blend of tropical soundscapes, Latin dance grooves, and cool jazz—is an adventuresome and musically intricate mix. Exotica flows from the vibrant postwar Hawaiian music scene and draws on everything from hapa-haole songs to those of Club Nisei, with the sophisticated restraint of cool jazz and Latin-tinged bands like those led by Cal Tjader, Xavier Cugat, and Juan Garcia Esquivel. A project of WAITIKI International LLC, the Kahiki Serenaders are essentially the rhythm section from the larger, internationally-acclaimed band The WAITIKI 7. (The WAITIKI 7 performs on Thursday, October 25, at 9:00 pm at Hawaiian Brian’s, backed by the conductorless Firecracker Pops chamber orchestra).

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2012-10-19 02:13 ]

I also will tell the most dirty joke I know...

V

So stoked about tonight! I'm actually going to take a nap this afternoon to ensure I am at full tiki power this evening (I'm rarely up late - so this is a big step for me) :) Sorry for posting about the event in another thread - I didn't see this official announcement post. I am SO ready for a tasty Mai-Tai!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Aloha Van,

I thought it was great to finally meet up with you and Mrs Van Tiki. Mahalo for the tiki! Good fun event.

Pages: 1 3 replies