Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Martin Cate's 2070 Swizzle

Pages: 1 8 replies

S

The venerable "151 Swizzle" has been a favorite in the Hideaway for a while. Then I discovered Martin's "2070 Swizzle." In the last couple of years I have grown more and more towards drinks with Allspice Dram, Honey, LH 151 and spices of various sorts. Martin hit most of the flavors I grew to love.

2070 Swizzle

1 oz Angostura 1919
1 oz Lemon Hart 151
1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Honey Mix
1/4 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
4 drops Pernod
2 dash Angostura bitters
1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg on top

This is a really good drink. After this, I no longer make the 151 Swizzle.

But then I started adding my own tweaks to the recipe above. There was a bit too much of a syrup after taste and it also missed a couple of flavor notes I wanted. And then I was working on my Black Magic and had a bit of left over coffee one night and BAM! that was awesomer! I offer my amended 2070 recipe as:

2070 Swizzle Redux

1 oz Angostura 1919 or other quality Gold Rum
1/2 oz Lemon Hart 151
1/2 oz Smith & Cross
1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Cinnamon Infused Simple Syrup (If you use Trader Tiki/BG Reynold's, you may need to cut it back. His syrup is extremely strong. Cut it in half)
1/2 oz Honey Mix
1/2 oz Strong Kona coffee (chilled of course)
1/4 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
4 drops Pernod
2 dash Angostura bitters
1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg on top
Cinnamon Stick swizzle

Both recipes use about 1/2 cup crushed ice, flash blended for a few seconds. Lately I prefer to put everything in the blender but ice, set it to the lowest setting, on mine it is "Stir" and get all the ingredients mixed. Then I add the ice and hit it on high. I zap it for a second, let it stop and repeat. Do that maybe 3 or 4 times. Pour into the proper glass (collins/zombie, or the classic aluminum ones) and add ice to fill. Grate some fresh nutmeg on top. Add cinnamon stick as swizzle. If you use an aluminum glass, or even a collins, take a napkin and unfold it, then refold it longways. You should have a good frost on the glass. Lightly wet one corner of the napkin and press it to the glass so it freezes in place. Wrap around and do the same to the other end. This makes the drink easier to hold since it is so cold.

Sounds promising. Smith & Cross is a welcome addition to almost any recipe, though it's not for the meek

Q

Wow! That sounds great. I am supposed to be getting some Smith and Cross this weekend. I had some shipped to a friend in NC since TN liqour laws are still in the stone age. Sounds like a fantastic drink to have over Thanksgiving. Any recommendations for something other than Angostura 1919? Can that (1919) be had in Kville?

Nice work Swanky!

Cheers and Aloha.

S

I use Appleton Specail for the 1919.

I find Smith & Cross to have a cinnamon flavor when mixing. And it actually lower sthe octane slightly to use it instead of just LH 151.

This drink is the reason I now must make double batches of cinnamon syrup to keep pace.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2012-11-15 09:32 ]

H

swanky, The 2010 Swizzle redux sounded real good so I just made it. Used Havana club for gold, it's all I had for gold. I poured the Lemon Hart 151 too fast and I had more than the recipe called for but never the less this was a very tasty drink. I will be making many more. Just a perfect drink on a cold evening.

it sounds like a Zombie's Navy Grog...

Just another illustration of one of the reasons why I like TikiCentral so much -- new ideas! And it keeps me shopping for new stuff in the rum aisle at my local liquor warehouse.

Swanky, I can't wait to try BOTH versions side-by-side.

Thanks for the post Swanky. I haven't yet mixed your version, but I'm having some fun this weekend mixing different rums into the 2070 Swizzle (though I guess I should rename/number it if I don't use the 1919 :D).

Along with the LH151, I've tried Appleton 12, Smith & Cross, and Plantation Jamaican. The Appleton 12 worked best I think. As much as I love Smith & Cross, it dominated the drink when I used it. I'm guessing that necessitated some of the stronger flavors you introduced in your version (like cinnamon and coffee). The Plantation Jamaican was very smooth, but I tend to just want to sip that one neat.

Thanks again for the inspiration via your post.

kevin

I just made the 2070 swizzle in my last post for Pegu blog´s "Tiki Month" i also made Swanky`s 2070 swizzle redux and i hope he doesn´t mind i posted his instructions.

I like them both! spicy and nice and i used a strong rum, the Caroni-97 single barrel with very good results.

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=17191

Pages: 1 8 replies