Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Mai Kai Drink Suggestions

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hey, I'll be hitting the Mai Kai next week for the first time in several years, and I'd like to get some drink recommendations, esp in the light of the recent reintroduction of Lemon Hart 151. I've exclusively ordered only from the "strong" side of the menu and am sure to have missed some hidden gems over the years. Maholo in advance!

More than you'll ever need to know about Mai Kai cocktails:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

Yes that's a great resource. Maybe I should add an addendum: If you only had the chance to down, say 2-3 drinks, what would they be? Naturally I'll be saving room for the Flaming Coffee Grog.

On 2012-11-15 12:38, TikiHardBop wrote:
More than you'll ever need to know about Mai Kai cocktails:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

Great website. Thank you for the link.

S

Have you been before and if so, what did you try?

I have been many times, and was getting the same drinks over and over. The menu is so full of greats and the ghosts of Don Beach, that you should go deep and get something new to you that was invented 80 years ago while you can. The Mai-Kai is th eonly place on earth you can get many of these as they were done by Don (or very close).

Jim's site is a great resource.

Cobra's Kiss
Rum Julep
Hidden Pearl...

Jim has done a great service and there is a short hand version there. Look through the list of Don recipes and pick a few. Also, if you make your own cocktails from The Bum's books, and if you have other bars that serve these drinks, pick the ones you never had and never will have again. Black Magic and Mutiny are Mai-Kai only drinks, even if you had a time machine.

Think good, not just strong. K.O. Cooler. Flaming Coffee Grog is another that is a must. The recipe is around, but no place on Earth does the whole flaming pour presentation that you get at the Mai-Kai... just as Don himself used to do...

I could go on and on...

If you haven't been to The Mai-Kai since before the end of April, I would highly recommend at least one of the drinks that recently returned to featuring Lemon Hart. It makes these great drinks even better:

• Zombie
  • 151 Swizzle
  • Jet Pilot
  • Shrunken Skull
  • Special Planters Punch
    You can't go wrong with any of these. And the Lemon Hart really pops in these drinks.

And there are six other Lemon Hart drinks also worth trying:

• Yeoman’s Grog
  • K.O. Cooler
  • Bora Bora
  • Sidewinder’s Fang
  • S.O.S.
  • Oh So Deadly

More on the return of Lemon Hart:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

Otherwise, these could be considered "hidden gems" ...

• Zula No. 1 (or the even more obscure Zula No. 2)
  • Deep Sea Diver
  • Rum Julep
  • Special Reserve Daiquiri

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-11-16 21:36 ]

X
xtine posted on Sat, Nov 17, 2012 4:24 PM

I typically go with the Jet Pilot followed by the Shark Bite.

Thanks for the tips folks - yes, Swanky, I've been to the Mai Kai many times, but not in the last 7 years or so. I hope to God that they fixed their roof!!!

I've always ordered off the "strong side" of the menu, so I'm used to the fabulous Zombie, Yeoman's Grog, Rum Barrel, etc, so it's nice to see some other items recommended.

S

On 2012-11-19 06:53, Kill Devil wrote:
Thanks for the tips folks - yes, Swanky, I've been to the Mai Kai many times, but not in the last 7 years or so. I hope to God that they fixed their roof!!!

I've always ordered off the "strong side" of the menu, so I'm used to the fabulous Zombie, Yeoman's Grog, Rum Barrel, etc, so it's nice to see some other items recommended.

There have been huge renovations since you were there, roof included. You may not notice them, but a lot was done.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.