Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

PT's Foray Into The Realm Of Chisels and Blood

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

well....no blood yet, but it is my first foray into carving wood! Hopefully it's as easy as carving on a skateboard! After 6-ish years of drooling over beautiful carvings by various TC members, I said "what the hell...might as well!" So I picked up 2 different sets at Home Depot, 1 set w/ 3 chisels ranging from 1/2" to 1", the other set with smaller, more detailed-oriented gouges and such. Picked up a piece of scrap wood and started widdling away at it, and that's when I realized that I'm probably not using a good "beginners wood" (is there such a thing? From my small amount of research, I'm guessing I shoulda gone with basswood or pine since it's so abundant here!). Here's a pic of what I've been attempting to have a go at.

Be gentle, I'm a total newcomer to this glorious realm of wood. I decided a moai would be a step in the right direction, however I've been running into splintering and peeling. I found the easiest instruments to work with so far have been a hook knife (of all things) and a scoop chisel that came with one of the two sets.

Any tips/advice/slander that you deem relevant and helpful I welcome with open arms as I'd like to move to even bigger and better woods and carving styles. Also keep in mind that I'm used to 2D images. I'm an illustrator and designer by trade so these 3D objects are foreign to me.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Dec 3, 2012 4:04 PM

Keep carving. A little depth is desireable.

Basswood is a beautiful medium to begin with.

Your finger appears frail and unharmed so far. Take some risks, but don't overdo it.

Mahalo

McTiki

WC

Your on the right track.
They start cub scouts off with bars of soap.
They're soft.
Also,
Keep your tools sharp,
& your band aids close.
& keep posting.

Bass wood is the best to begin with. As stated in other threads I feel that buying one good chisel is better than spending the same amount on a group of crappy chisels. You are starting off on a small piece of wood - not appropriate for chisels and skill level. Start with a big piece of wood that you can clamp down and remove your fleshy parts from the picture. Once you get used to how the chisels, gouges and knives work - then move into smaller stuff.

P

my 2 cents worth of advice..

draw it out. that way you have some lines to follow with the blades.

I draw all mine out before I cut 'em...gives me a direction...

WC

Tom & I just got done talking about this &
we agree that piece of wood your holding is
exacto size. Not chisel stuff.
You need bigger wood or smaller tools.
I like exacto #10 & @ 11.
And don't hold wood in your hand & carve into
your palm.
Get bigger wood & clamp it down.
You'll never cut your self if you don't put
your fingers in front of the blade.
Think be for you cut.

P

On 2012-12-04 15:17, Will carve wrote:
Tom & I just got done talking about this &
we agree that piece of wood your holding is
exacto size. Not chisel stuff.
You need bigger wood or smaller tools.
I like exacto #10 & @ 11.
And don't hold wood in your hand & carve into
your palm.
Get bigger wood & clamp it down.
You'll never cut your self if you don't put
your fingers in front of the blade.
Think be for you cut.

Yeah I realized that. I had been using smaller tools including a hobby knife I had in my room. But I will definitely hit up bigger pieces of wood with my chisels.

What they all said...

But most of all HAVE FUN!

any progress on this?

Will's right, every time I've cut myself it was due to my hand being in the path of the blade. After a few 'lucky' nicks I try to be more conscious about where my fingers are in relation to the knife/chisel...

I checked out your skateboards, nice!

Recently i remembered how we used do do potato print at the kindergarden.i now carve carrots as little design models before i carve the "real pieces".its a good practice and if you don`t like it - just eat it!
happy carving!

M

All this dialog.......... and one pic?

Cmon Pocky! Carve man!

McTiki

Yeah sorry for the lack of carving updates. I've been working on those panels that I've been posting in the other thread!

Just picked up a couple blocks of basswood so I should have some carving updates for you guys within the next couple days.

Pages: 1 12 replies