Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thoughts on these PMP mugs

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

Specifically the one on the left. Can't seem to find any info about it

TP, I'm usually not a fan of the "coffee mug" type tiki mugs. I'd be proud to display those two if they were mine. The finish/glaze is particularly nice. What's the story on your find-how did you find em?
Congrats,
David

don't know much, but i've had that mug on the left for quite a few years and always wondered what the story was, as mine doesnt have the paul marshall sticker underneath. on a visit to dan & wendy's I noticed they had a similar one, so I asked about it. wendy told me kohalacharms saw it & said it might be from the pago pago in tuscon, according to a cocktail menu he had. i sent him a pic of mine, but he seem to think it wasn't the same mug....soon after I saw one on ebay with the sticker intact, like yours.
Before that I didn't even know it was a pmp mug.....i assume they sold them in drug/department stores & places like that back in the day, like the other more common styles of pmp mugs.

Rare mugs, never seen them before. They both seem to be based on wood carvings from the Philippines. Does anybody have a Paul Marshall catalog here?

T

I always like when Big Bro says rare mugs. And does anybody have a PMP catalog?

I was thinking the one on the left looked like this wooden made-in-Philippines mug:

On the wooden mug, the handle is the body, with arms(?) at the bottom and legs and feet at the top:

I am curious who that figure represents? that's why I picked up the mug to begin with...i've seen those wooden mugs a thousand times & was never tempted to pick one up, but the ceramic version had a bit more charm, so i grabbed it. since then, i've listed it on ebay a few times without any nibbles & contemplated donating it back to a thrift store, but every time I start to, something makes me pump the brakes & decide to keep it.

Pages: 1 6 replies