Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Witco Living-room set looking for new owner!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I am the original owner of a Witco living-room set (located just outside of the Boston, MA area): sofa, coffee table, 2 end tables, 2 lamps, sailboat picture, chair & ottoman. Starting the process of down-sizing...looking for others that appreciate Witco & may be interested in acquiring this set. Pics & conversation available upon request - email: [email protected]

TD

just thinking out loud here, but I think you may want to hire a new marketing director to over see your next product photo shoot.

Ha ha TD makes a strong point.

Still cool to see that 70s Witco tho, it doesn't crop up too often. Post pics of the rest!

T

And some people shouldn't think out loud.

Actually your sales pitch and pictures are very poorly thought out
as Tiki David already mentioned (Large Dogs = Damaged furniture)

so if you are serious on wanting to sell your set, where are the photos & what is the condition of the other
pieces, what is your asking price?

Just common sense folks.

I've been thinking about how to respond to the replies that have been posted. As mentioned , I am the original owner of this furniture & I like to think that we have experienced quite a life together (yes I am a bit obsessed & crazy about my Witco furniture). I first saw the set on display in the window of the original Jordan's Furniture on Moody St in Waltham, Ma - it was love at first sight!. At the time, my employer had a friend in the wholesale furniture business who was able to purchase the set for me at a discounted price (I would have loved the matching bar but could not afford it-$600., I think). I was in my early twenties, un-married, I lived in a small first apartment with a room-mate & I had no idea where I would put the set when it came in. As it turned out my family was in the process of purchasing a home so when the set finally did arrive it had a real living room to adorn; thus, the set had made its first long distance trip from creation in Seattle, WA to a home in Boston, MA. As fate would have it (& a new boyfriend with a job in Anchorage, AK), it wasn't long before the set was on the move back across the country & northward bound in the spring of 1977. In 1986, we moved to NH & then back to MA in 1993. This furniture has logged more miles than many people, it has been the focus of many conversations & had many admirers, it has seen children grow, family members & friends pass and it has provided 'comfort' to all who have asked on many levels (both physical & spiritual-such as when my husband passed away), and pet friends have never been turned away. The set has been professionally recovered once in a similar shade of brown material but NOT the original 'fun-fur' (impractical) material, yet the fur does still remain on the picture and the bottom shelf sections of the coffee & end tables. As mentioned, I am starting to deal with downsizing, that MAY include looking for another loving home for my set. I am not sure yet whether or not I am ready to do that - only time & establishing a relationship with the 'perfect' interested party will tell! I will not be placing the set on ebay nor will I be taking any 'staged' pictures. I will try to post pics of the other pieces, as requested, after the holidays when I have more time - yes, the carved wood is so distinctive...to this day I have never seen another set that I like equally as well. So, I am sorry some are disappointed in my 'marketing' skills - but 'marketing' was never my objective...frankly, Witco speaks for itself!

Witco says no........

HT

It had that fur on it originally? Wow.

I think what people are trying to say is that the pictures do not do it justice. You obviously take pride in your Witco, so why not take the stuff off of the coffee table so that we can see what it looks like. No one wants you to hire a professional photographer or bring your Witco to a studio, but a little windex and a lint roller wouldn't hurt. Just 5 minutes of cleaning would make a world of difference.

When I first glanced at the picture, my first split second impulse was "no thanks." I am not in the market or in your area, so I woudn't be the one you want to impress. But the couch from the picture you took looks like one of the armrests is broken and it looks to have a tear in the corner of the couch. The coffee table is barely visible through the clutter on top and underneath.

So basically, people think your Witco is cool and you like it a bunch too. We would just be able to see it better if it was given a quick cleaning and the dogs were left in the bedroom for 5 minutes. I hope you get what you are looking for out of it and I hope this advise helps you sell it faster.

I hate to be this guy but "Come on people, either buy the stuff or don't." Is another angle or better lighting on the furniture going to make you jump in a truck and drive just outside Boston to get it? If you love it enough you can use your imagination a bit to see of it will work for you or not. It's not that big of a deal. I get the feeling even more pictures would only be a new reason for some of you to complain about something else.

Good luck with the sale palau1953.

Ha ha TD makes a strong point., it turned out my family was in the process of purchasing a home so when the set finally did arrive it had a real living room to adorn; thus, the set had made its first long distance trip from creation in Seattle, WA to a home in Boston, MA. As fate would have it, it wasn't long before the set was on the move back across the country & northward bound in the spring of 1977. In 1986, we moved to NH & then back to MA in 1993. This furniture has logged more miles than many people, it has been the focus of many conversations & had many admirers, it has seen children grow, family members & friends pass and it has provided 'comfort' to all who have asked on many levels, and pet friends have never been turned away...!!!

T

Good luck on your sale.
I must say TikiDavid was downright congenial by TikiDavid standards.:)
David is a nice guy when you meet him in person.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••**•
MERRY CHRISTMAS from TIKISKIP!

Is that a whole preserved plucked chicken in one of those jars?!?!

It's the boat that blows my mind. It's HUGE!

Don't you have a Witco room, Carl?

K

What's cool about this stuff is it is the End of the Witco era so there are not many sets like this. These sets were only available in the 1976 catalog which was the last catalog made and the end of Witco. So I am pretty sure there is not many out there.

I DO have a Witco room, but I've sworn off buying anymore non-tiki Witco. I actually have the wall clock that I think probably goes well with that furniture.

But yeah, being local to this stuff perked me up fast! :)

Pages: 1 15 replies