Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Burke Tyree "Mercedes" sold at auction Dec 9

Pages: 1 20 replies

A

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/14615084_framed-oil-on-velvetby-burke-tyree

Stopped by, ever hopeful that I might finally acquire a Tyree. This was listed in the catalog (in Oakland, CA) for and expected sale price of $500-700. It went for $2,750 hammer price, with buyer premiums and sales tax that is over $3,500. Oh well!

Just thought some of you would be interested.

NOT REALLY INTERESTED! Does not have anything to do with TIKI! Wrong area to post! Put in BILGE!

I'd disagree but posting a pic would be a great idea.

I would have to agree.

It's quite lovely.
And now I've got another name to lookout for on ebay.

Since this post was about an item that had already sold and was never meant to facilitate a sale, I've moved this to Collecting Tiki.

But Bilge? I don't think so .... :roll:

Tyree is definitely tiki and it should be under collecting but maybe in the velvet painting thread...

It is a beautiful work...Thanks for posting...

On 2012-12-10 11:53, mymotiki wrote:
NOT REALLY INTERESTED! Does not have anything to do with TIKI! Wrong area to post! Put in BILGE!

You should look before you blow up on someone.

This is completely Tiki. Just because it has Mercedes in the headline doesn't mean it was for a car. It was for a beautiful velvet painting of a woman named Mercedes. It's 100% legit.

This is one of my main problems with TC is how quickly people lambast others. I wish it was more chill around here, I know I keep wishing and in the 8+ years here on the site, it keeps happening...

T

On 2012-12-10 11:53, mymotiki wrote:

Not fucking tiki?? Maybe you need to re-exam what tiki is.

Beautiful velvet and appreciate knowing of the sale, thanks for sharing.

Ahh, that's a nice one... misunderstanding with the whole "not tiki" thing?

HT

Everybody relax.

There have been a lot of posts by bots around the site lately.

And this could easily be mistaken for a bot.

Sit back, have a mai tai, and enjoy the lovely velvet. No more fucking this, or fucking that.

Kuu aku.

T

More not TIKI from Kahiki.

T

PS Mercedes is a very nice velvet, I can see why you wanted it.
Thanx for posting.

HT

I'll throw mine in the bunch, Skip.

It's not velvet, but it sure is nice!

T

Nice!
All of the sudden I got a hankerin for cereal.
One more but this one in my mind IS Tiki...:) :) :)

I make TIKI lghts for you.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-11 20:03 ]

M

That fun old tiki bar (and restaurant) Minnie's in Modesto California had a bunch of Tyree's at one point. Black Velvet paintings cetainly can fall under the banner of Tiki (not the Mexican ones, usually). In fact there are a few current Tiki Artists who dabble in Black Velvet these days. Sometimes a tiki does not have to be present to be considered "tiki".

A

On 2012-12-11 07:36, Hale Tiki wrote:
I'll throw mine in the bunch, Skip.

It's not velvet, but it sure is nice!

Oh come on now! Now you've just gone too far. Those little emblems on her frock are clearly the flag of Shetland, and we all know Shetland is not tiki! While it is a nice depiction of a Shetland islander girl shedding her coverings, most likely after returning from a midsummer celebration of Shetland Flag Day, anybody can plainly see it has nothing to do with tiki.

-Randy

I agree with Aquarj but since it's still a cool picture it can stay.

No need to respond Hale Tiki, you'll have to keep your 27 posts a day streak going in another thread. :lol:

On 2012-12-11 09:53, Bora Boris wrote:
I agree with Aquarj but since it's still a cool picture it can stay.

No need to respond Hale Tiki, you'll have to keep your 27 posts a day streak going in another thread. :lol:

27? Now that's just outlandish. Clearly 25 is a more realistic number! (I've been REALLY bored at work lately, despite the mound of work I have to do. What? It keeps me sane.)

And Aquarj, you caught me. Her tan is obviously from the amount of sun she receives on her Nordic skin, being so far north of England and all, where they get 6 months of sunlight and all.

Well, you caught me. I'm a dirty Scotsman.

Well, you caught me. I'm a dirty Scotsman.

The dirty in that sentence is redundant, since by their very nature, Scotsmen are all dirty.*

*joke.

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2012-12-11 16:19 ]

Pikey's however are known for their hygiene! :)

At least someone is posting...

Everyone took the month off or something???

Pages: 1 20 replies