Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

World’s largest Shecky

Pages: 1 7 replies

J
jtiki posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 7:55 PM

World’s largest Shecky found in Central DC.

Had occasion to snap this picture of the Shecky Monument in Washington DC. My understanding is that the Shecky Monument never reached its planned completed height. In some form of altercation the Washington Monument Society, lead by architect Robert Mills complained that a fully realized Shecky would tower over the monument to the father of our country. The quarrel continued to escalate and fisticuffs were about to break out, when a round of rum-drinks was served and the entire membership of the Shecky Monument Committee acquiesced, stormed the bar and largely forgot what they were arguing about.

J
jtiki posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 7:56 PM

Shecky as rendered by Matisse

Washington DC is lucky enough to have Henri Matisse’s (1869-1954) evolving study of the back. Never exhibited together, these figures are now in the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden as a set.
Matisse modeled "Back III" in 1916 and completed ”Back IV” fourteen years later. “Back V,” the so-called “Shecky Back” has proved notoriously difficult to date. It is know that Matisse, whose chief theme was the nude, could hardly work without a nude woman somewhere in the studio and imposed on Paul Gauguin to bring along a couple of Wahines and a small barrel of Tahitian Rum. It was during these studio gatherings the Gauguin suggested the final abstractions that lead to the so-called "Shecky Back."

J
jtiki posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 7:58 PM

Shecky and French History

In 1347, a mostly forgotten story of French History, relates how King Edward III of laid siege to the French town of Calais. For eleven months the citizen of the town were desperate for water and food, until six leading citizen, offered themselves as hostages, in exchange for the town’s freedom. This event, commemorated by Rodin was completed in 1886; although the addition of French Patriot, Monsieur Shecky, is thought to have occurred somewhat latter.

[ Edited by: jtiki on 2003-06-30 19:55 ]

J
jtiki posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 8:03 PM

I hope to have a little more time to record Shecky's travels through the nations capitol. In the meantime, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the well traveled Shecky (#109) is considering a new home.

T

You are gentleman and a scholar. I thank you for providing us this fantastic history lesson.

T

Actually, I think this is the world's largest Shecky.

Nuclear regulators from across the nation together decided that Shecky's gentle and friendly contenance would bring an air of warmth and geniality to the much maligned nuclear power industry.

Tiki-bot

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-06-30 16:36 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-06-30 16:38 ]

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2003 7:55 PM

Tiki-bot

Love 3-mile-shecky. But my own obscure ethics forbade the use of photoshop.

j

T

Ethics?

Pages: 1 7 replies