Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Dick Moano´s "Introducing original Polynesian tropical bar recipes ... mai tai, navy grog 1963

Pages: 1 2 3 142 replies

DC

Got my guide on Saturday. Mint condition for a 51 year old publication. So glad you found the forum and a place where your father's work could not be more appreciated.

I got mine and love it, thanks !!

Storm

The Jet Pilot recipe looks really similar to the Tiki Ti Space Pilot... interesting

P

Are there any books left? Will email you!

P

On 2014-04-11 21:13, hang10tiki wrote:

This one saved the night

Jon

Great picture!

Pablo

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

[ Edited by: PabTiki 2014-05-06 08:33 ]

RB

Many recipes in the booklet call for Siegert's Bouquet Rum, which hasn't been around for decades. What's everyone subbing for that?

A quick search of the Internets finds Siegert's was an Angostura product, and a suggested sub is Angostura Royal Oak (I don't have that or any other Ango rum).

Payment Info: $20 including mailing and tracking number. PayPal Acct: [email protected]

[ Edited by: big bad beau 2014-06-10 12:57 ]

Just sent my payment for a booklet. I'm very excited to start trying these recipes. Sorry you had to deal with ebay/paypal probs. Your kindness in sharing these treasure is super appreciated :wink:

On 2014-05-19 08:40, Big Bad Beau wrote:
Not WINING, but after more than 15 years with a 100% Feedback rating, one of the eBay buyers complained that the booklet did not lay perfectly flat and filed a claim with eBay before even contacting me. I, of course immediately refunded his money and the booklet was returned to me in the great condition that he received it. After all was said and done, he left me Negative Feedback just to ruin my 15 years of perfect Feedback. Had I known that the real reason he did all of this was because as a TC member (will not name him of course), he found this thread and found he could have bought the booklet for $10 less, which I would have gladly refunded to him had he told me.

That sucks! You are doing something great for all of us, hopefully that anti-aloha "member" will do the right thing and retract that negative. Only takes one bad ingredient to spoil a Mai Tai!

Negative feedback is bound to happen. I feel like any day now someone will leave me negative feedback, even though I am a top rated seller with the highest ratings. I like to have a couple ebay accounts so that when someone screws me over with a negative, I can just use my other account for a year and that negative drops off and you are back to 100% ratings.

Thanks again, the book is amazing and I don't think I would have caught it on ebay.

K
Klas posted on Tue, May 20, 2014 5:24 AM

On 2014-05-09 19:47, Rum Balls wrote:
Many recipes in the booklet call for Siegert's Bouquet Rum, which hasn't been around for decades. What's everyone subbing for that?

A quick search of the Internets finds Siegert's was an Angostura product, and a suggested sub is Angostura Royal Oak (I don't have that or any other Ango rum).

Royal Oak isn't available here but I plan to instead use the higher quality and readily available Angostura 1919 after reading a review of the Royal Oak that stated "Best save for the 1919 version".

http://thelonecaner.com/angostura-royal-oak-select-trinidad-rum-review/

We have been making cocktails and enjoying the heck out of this book. Thank you again!!!

Last night I tried the Pi-Yi recipe and loved it. Thanks again for the book!

Tiki Bowl for 2

C

Just saw this thread- are there any books left for TC members?

Yes, I do have a limited number of booklets still available. Payment instructions are in the thread.
Thanks in advance. :)

Tried the Moano's Own tonight. I found some Bacardi 151 even and it was really tasty!

Give this one a try sometime soon.

Awesome Luna :)

A

Oops!

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2014-06-07 01:55 ]

:)

Great Pic Hang10 :)
UPDATE: I have 2 booklets available. That is it - there are no more! If you feel the desire for one of these, send me a PM and the first 2 TC members that ask me to hold one will get one of these last vintage collectibles. :)
Thanks again to all!!

[ Edited by: big bad beau 2014-06-26 12:36 ]

UPDATE: I have 2 booklets available. That is it - there are no more! If you feel the desire for one of these, send me a PM and the first 2 TC members that ask me to hold one will get one of these last vintage collectibles.
Thanks again to all!!

Got it yesterday. Fabulous! Great recipes and great NOS item!
Thanks a lot!

LL

Sent my paypal Sunday and the book arrived yesterday! I'll admit, even though I probably drink nearly 10 tiki cocktails a week, I don't know too many of the exact recipes. However, IMHO, many of these drinks are different than the versions most of us know (especially the jet pilot), making it an awesome find!

Just a quick note to let all know that there are no more booklets available.

NO!!!!! I've had this page up for the past few days meaning to order. Just finally got around to it and see they're all gone :'( Did anyone buy a spare they'd consider selling???

Now that all the books are sold, I'm waiting to find out what the "secret project" Beau hinted to a few pages back. Cmon, Beau! Enquiring minds want to know!

Beau-ler? Beau-ler?

howlinowl

I've been working with Beau to create an ePub version of the book. It's about ready at this point, but I've got chronic back problems and I haven't been able to sit at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time the past week or so. As soon as it's released (hopefully very soon), we'll let everyone know!

"Chronic" problems in Colorado. :)

H

Was doing a little googling on Dick Moano. Came across this on google books. Catalog of copyrights 1963. Looks like Dick's full name was Richard Moano Irwin.

Linky:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DB0hAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA1656&lpg=PA1656&dq=dick+moano&source=bl&ots=jBH5z4_JdB&sig=iEn35J9EFdGv_YjIroyarX_8ThM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=81cIVOi1KM7IgwSdkoCQAQ&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=dick%20moano&f=false

Just in case that didn't work.... I screen captured the entry:

howlinowl

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2014-09-04 05:27 ]

Hi all,

Since the book is sold and not in print anymore, did anyone scan in the recipes? Or if not, is there still plans to do a ebook?

Hi Rocky
The eBook/iBook will be released and available soon. Will keep all posted as to release date. And it will be FREE!!! :)
Mahalo,
Beau

It's done! We had some technical difficulties with our distribution channel (read: I broke iTunes Connect), but the ebook is now available for FREE (Thanks, Beau!) at the iBook store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/official-islands-drink-guide/id904331408?mt=11

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-11-04 18:07 ]

Cool. Nice of you and Beau to have done this. Looks like it's only available on Apple devices, though. Fortunatly, I purchased the book from Beau earlier...I was going to download it out of curiosities sake and take a look. I don't have any plans to purchase any Apple devices in the foreseeable future. Any plans on releasing it in any other format like Kindle or a .pdf file?

howlinowl

howlinowl, I can't speak for Beau, but my understanding is that it may be released in other formats at a later date.

Cool. One of the things I've never cared for Apple is they seem to be very proprietary. It works with Apple or not at all. Amazon has apps so that their books can be read on other devices (Android, Windows) so you aren't forced to purchase a Kindle device just to read your books.

You are in very good company, though. I've been lusting after Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's Tiki+ and now Total Tiki apps forever! iOS devices only, though so I guess I'm stuck with the books.

howlinowl

Add me to the list of disgruntled non Apple users who can't use this or the Tiki+ app!

I have a Galaxy phone, a Google tablet and a Kindle....insert sad face.

TikiTacky my Friend,

You are so Awesome for all the work and time you and some of your friends devoted to this project. It is truly a work of art. I appreciate it more than I can express. What an outstanding tribute to my Dad! Thank you so much. Those that download the book will see YOUR CONTRIBUTION and the others that contributed.
Mahalo - and we will talk soon.

Those of you that do download via Apple, remember the 5 Star Rule ***** The "RULE is that you have to give it 5 Stars! :)
Thanks again to all of you that have been along for this ride!!!!!

Ron "Beau" Turnbow

[ Edited by: Big Bad Beau 2014-10-23 11:58 ]

Yeah TikiTacky,
The book looks really nice. Thanks for putting in the work on that.

I went ahead and installed i-tunes and downloaded the book even though it won't let me open it on the computer. Even though I don't own any apple devices and don't forsee getting any in the near future, years from now they may come up with some 'I-Gizmo" that I just gotta have and then I'll have the book. Never know if it won't be available on i-tunes in the future.

Like I said before, I had purchased the original printing from Beau and am very happy with it.

I hope my earlier post didn't seem ungrateful for the time and effort put in by others to create the ebook and provide it for free. I don't know anything about epublishing. There may have been circumstances that made publication on a different format difficult or impossible. This project was taken on with the "aloha" spirit. Beau could have very well created the ebook and provided it for sale on i-tunes or kindle and probably made some extra spending money, instead he provided it without charge. I'm sure is father is smiling in heaven.

howlinowl (who still purchases CDs and rips MP3s with 10 year old freeware)

hehehehe......

I found this article online, dunno if the links in it to the various software is still good, though. I may try this and see if I can open it up, but it may be a few days before I have enough time to try it. If anyone else tries it, please let us know how it works out.

howlinowl

edit....duh....forgot the link....

http://www.startribune.com/business/160428925.html

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2014-10-23 16:50 ]

Howlinowl, no offense was taken, I assure you. :)

It is possible to download this through iTunes and convert it to a PDF to read on an Android device, it's what I did. I won't distribute it as it isn't mine to give away. I downloaded it from iTunes and then found a program to convert it from epub to PDF format.

The Official Islands Drink Guide

Available on iTunes for FREE!

[ Edited by: Big Bad Beau 2014-11-18 07:31 ]

C

Hello to everyone, i m looking for that book, i hope someone can help me find it. best reguards

hello, first i want to tank you for the book. i have managed to download it and looks amazing; the point is that i lokked the "Zombie"'s recepie and i think there is "grapefruit" instead of "Donn's mix". am i wrong, am i right but there were copyright settings, or there is a code to read recepie? thaks, best reguards carlito.

S

I am in touch with Dick Moano’s daughter and she would really like to see this book. Can someone share it with me?

Pages: 1 2 3 142 replies