Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Antique Liqour

Pages: 1 3 replies

So - while over at my in-laws for the holidays, I asked for a drink and my MIL sent me to the liquor cabinet. Looking for something to mix with eggnog I found a bottle of Crown Royal in a bag. The bag looked odd to me as it had Seagrams sewn large on the bag. It made more sense when I opened the bag and saw a tax tag on the bottle. I was even more surprised when I noticed the year on the tag. Need less to say I did not open the full bottle. So I started looking for something else when I found another unopened bottle of Canadian Club with a tax tag from 1972. I couldn't bring myself to crack either bottle - needless to say I drank my eggnog plain!

So did they both make it back to the AlohaStation bar in one piece... Lol

Truly cool finds! If you get a chance, take a look at the Crown Royal label for us. I recall hearing at a Hukilau seminar one year that Crown Royal used to have an "age statement" on the label until sometime within the last 20 years when it became much more popular. Now they produce and age and bottle in a much more compressed timeframe and it's no longer a claim to fame for the brand. The way I recall hearing it, the overwhelming popularity of the brand eventually caused quality to be compromised in favor of producing enough to meet demand. So it would be interesting to know how your in-law's bottle is labelled. Cheers!

S

Would be nice to compare it side by side with the new stuff.

Pages: 1 3 replies