Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

OC/LA TC'rs July 4 Activities

Pages: 1 30 replies

Hey! Anyone (Ben, Mrs Boo, Trustar, SugarCaddyDaddy etc) doing anything for July 4th?

The HB Parade, fireworks, beach?

NN2

Bong, I'll be serving up Mai Tais all day long if you want to brave the crowds down to the Balboa Peninsula. Starts with Bloody Marys and a parade for the kids at 10:00a.m. followed by drinking and a street party , maybe some beers at this point, swimming at the beach, then fire up the bar-b-q for lunch, maybe some drinks, some games, a pinata or two,then maybe mai tais at this point inside at the bar (The Red Room) then some Bar--b-q, and some drinks, then we pull the chairs out behind the house and watch fireworks. We can see the Newport Dunes show, and two others over the bay. Then back to the house for some drinks. Bring the kids, lots of kids,a good time is had by all.

NuiNui2,

Sounds cool. email me with your address and I'll put it on my list of things to do that day.

Aloha.

T

I was wondering when you would get a firecracker lit under yourself for this. Ms Boo told us a couple of weeks agao that you had BIG plans for the HB folks. As the "newbies" in town we are not sure where to park our big fat mugs for the best viewing of the parade. I'm not a big parade fan but I just look at it as a horozontal party. Don't know if our place might work out better for some of the days festivities or not but we could try. I might be a little closer to downtown but that could be a bad thing too. We can always throw stuff at the passerby. I think I will wait until after the 4th to get a haircut. Don't want to get accused of being a "skinhead". Shoot me an e-mail with your thoughts.

Trustar

Trustar,

You don't have an email listed for me to shoot at! Your place is a good home base for downtown parade stuff. Me and my keiki's get down there around 9:45 and watch the parade in front of about Wahoo's.

Let me know what your thinkin' (not THAT thought!).

Bong-a-loid

I'll be at the parade. Actually, I'll be IN the parade. I'll be playing baritone with the SoCal Dream Drum and Bugle Corps, one of the first units in the parade.

T

PPR

We will be watching out for you. The front of the parades have got to be much nicer for the marching bands. No horses in front of you.

Trustar

MB
Mrs. B posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2003 7:39 AM

Aloha!
The Bamboo Ben tribe will be at Main and Orange. The 3 foot planter walls make an excellent viewing post for the kids.
Happy pre-4th!! See ya there!

S

T and I plan to ride our bikes to The Longboard for breakfast and .95 cent mimosas. Perhaps we can hook up there ore somewhere else during or after the parade.

HB Locals unite and takeover!

T

Bong and I were talking last night about maybe having breakfast and FREE mimosas and Bloody Marys, then riding or walking down to Main St for the festivities as a starter for the day. Maybe we can continue to roll around town and make fluid and pu pu stops at several other home tiki bars in town. I can always put the training wheels back on my bike for the day. We might even get ambitious enough to make an early stop at Sam's Seafood for a cool respite.

Trustar

T

Yeah, sort of a progressive tiki party at folks houses/establishments. Then maybe lunch at Sam's.

To my Southern Cal brethren and sistren: Have a blast down there! Anyone up in the Bay Area:
I'll be up in Northern Cal and will be strumming my uke on a tiki float in the Calistoga 4th of July parade. Starting time is 11:00am, right down Lincoln Street. Check it out, have a mud bath, sip some fizzy water and then gorge yourself on corndogs at the county fair while watching the fireworks. Ahhh... small-town country life.

-Weird Unc

Uncle Tiki - isn't there something else you're doing this weekend??? :wink:

Don't forget if you get that last minute urge to head to Las Vegas - we'll be there...

And help us cheer Hula Hula while you're in town.

Have a great time in OC you hoity toities you.

Are the cops still assholes in HB on the 4th? When I used to live there I was almost arrested on the 4th for riding my bike down the street (not kidding). What a joke!!

TikiRiviera, the cops in HB and Zooport write a lot of 501's and they will haul you in for it. 501 is street code for drunk-on-a-bike. I had a few friends who were busted for it. I was nearly hauled in once for sitting on a curb after curfew because I looked under 18. Tough cops, tough cities. They have to put up with a lot of crap.

T

Hey, this may be the 'soft' side of Bong showing here, but I don't give a f*$& if they haul every a-hole in on the 4th.

I get sick of going down town on weekends and it's nothing but a bunch, and I mean a bunch of tourists (T's as we call 'em). "Hey let's go to the beach and be dick heads".

When the cops are having to bust heads on the 4th, it takes away from their primary mission - protecting Bong's tiki collection!

speking of T's, saw one drown at the beach yesterday. They had to use the heart shocker to revive him. T's just don't get it. Respect the Ocean. Respect the City. Respect the Police. Respect Yourselves. Respect the Situations and all will be good!

T

And all importantly, respect the Rev! Good to have you back on the left side of the country dude.

Trustar

S

Do you wanna eat?
Do you wanna sleep?
Do you wanna drown?
Just settle down,
settle down,
settle down!

No plans for the Stentiki's except for breakfast, parade and parties!

We'll just see what happens on July 4th...

I agree the cops have it tough, but I was on a side street far from Main, completely sober and they acted like I was OJ. I'm completely in support of the police, but the HB police have proven to me on more than one occasion to be classic type A assholes. Maybe I just experienced the worst ones. I guess they have to keep the streets safe so everyone can enjoy the polluted surf.

Hey HB tiki freaks! My good buddy Mike Frank Proprietor of Franks Cane and Rush will be in a fez riding his "chrome mini bike". Look for him and give him a shout out! (just yell "Bamboo Ben" real loud when you see chrome mini bikes with fez's and he'll go nut's on it!)

S

Tiki-Riviera,

How long ago was that, man?

I've lived in HB for years and never had any hassels with the PO-lice.

It's the damn traffic cops outta da city that keep catching me!

Bamboo Ben Float!
Bamboo Ben Float!

sten-tiki,

I lived in HB about 6 yrs ago. I had another run with the coppers when they pulled my friend over with me and our dates in the car. They told me to walk to the front of the car and shut up while they shamelessly flirted with our dates. At one point one of the women told the cop she needed to pee, so he told her to go behind some bushes next to an apartment building, which she did. So basically a cop told her to commit a crime. Then he writes only me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, and when I start to explain I had a lapbelt on he says "do you want to go to the station"? I'm thinking "is he fucking joking". I shut my mouth, paid my ticket and not long after left HB.

S

T-R,

That sucks, man! HB horror story for sure.

Tomorrow we ride!

Bong, Boos, Trustar, et. al.,

We'll look for yous somewhere on Main Street between Wahoos and Orange. If we don't see yous, we will likely still be at The Longboard. We'll just be hangin loose tomorrow so whateva happens...

Any fireworks shows tomorrow night?

What if I can't get down there until the afternoon? Are you guys planning on hanging all day, or is it over after the parade? Do you think you will be viewing the fireworks together as a tribe?

stentiki - was that a haiku? It's about time somebody revived that ancient form of poetry which seems to have gotten lost in today's hi-tech media blitz. I'll be celebrating the 4th here in east San Diego in the tiny hamlet of San Carlos...but at least the f*#k'n sun is finally out!!! When it comes to 4th of july celebration, San Diego Co. really knows how to suck the joy outta your holiday! NO parade...NO fireworks...NO beer kegs at the beach...et all. I myself plan on partying my ass off in spite of the clamp down. As I always say..."if you don't like te rules, make your own". The last time I had a good 4th of july party was 1998 in Santa Ana. Shot off tons of fireworks and never saw a cop. yeah!

S

Hey Joey,

Unfortunately, I'm not that clever, man. I couldn't write a Haiku if my life depended it on it! I heard Dramarama on the radio and it seemed like a relevant quote at the time. I think Bong is the Haiku master, anyhoo.

Speaking of Bong, we ran into each other briefly at the Parade. How was Raging Rivers, man?! Good seeing you, bro. No Bamboos, though. :( Overall, it was a very uneventful day, so Floratina, you didn't miss nuthin.

T & I rode back home (on PCH -- the cops block it off!) and took a nap by the pool all afternoon, went to a party for a couple of hours, and then back home for more napping and night swimming. We could see the some local fireworks from our backyard and that was good enough for us! Pretty mellow night. We finally caught up on our sleep! Ah, good times!

Aloha,

Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-07-05 13:12 ]

We missed all of yous too. We were at Main and Orange below the P.A. system. My 2 sons and myself were the ones with the Red,white and Blue hair! (old punks never die)

Anyone going to the Pier today (Sunday 7/6) for the Surf Bands? Tiki Bongs, Al & Shell, Bamboo Ben and his 2 crazy kids are going. (Mrs. Boo has to work till 4ISH) I heard something about a "Sams Night Tonight" too.

S

Surf Bands and Sam's I am!

Sounds cool.

We's in.

See yous at da Pier.

On 2003-07-01 21:09, Futura Girl wrote:
Uncle Tiki - isn't there something else you're doing this weekend??? :wink:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on the road the past month, but yes indeed that was quite a weekend! Thanks to your inspiration and support throughout all my training, Futura Girl, I took 3rd place honorable mention in the Men 25-65 division of the tri-county (Napa, Solano, Yolo) bi-monthly needle-point & 110m hurdle-swim competition. That $10 gift certificate to Sandwiches, Sweets 'n Stuff in Rio Vista was hard earned. I am a winner!!

-Weird Uncle Tiki aka Champ

Did someone get married during that marathon??

Pages: 1 30 replies