Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Please help identify this great Polynesian song from the '70s!

Pages: 1 10 replies

I
iacasa posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2013 1:25 PM

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, I'm very interested in Polynesian music. My interest was sparked by the cover song in the link below. This cover song is from the '70s, the original maybe be older.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gffUh0vEprM

Can any of you experts please help me identify the name/author of the original song?

Note that the posted version is a cover version. Although it sounds awesome to me, the lyrics are possibly badly sung, because the singers didn't know the language.

Many many thanks!
Martín

Does not sound Hawaiian. Hmmm

Anyway welcome to Tiki Central!

Any clues for us? Where did it come from? What format is it in? Anything else with it? Anything written on it? How do you know it's from the 70s? Inquiring minds want to know :D

I
iacasa posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2013 6:06 PM

A relative of mine travelled to French Polynesia in 1977. He went to film a series of commercials. He heard the music sung by a group of locals for tourists. He liked it so much that he recorded a cover version, which is what I posted. If it doesn't sound Polynesian it's only because it was recorded by foreign musicians, but the original tune is Polynesian.

MN

Sounds like Te Manu Pukarua.
Written by Eddie Lund.

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2013-01-02 20:48 ]

TM

On 2013-01-02 20:47, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Sounds like Te Manu Pukarua.
Written by Eddie Lund.

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2013-01-02 20:48 ]

That's not it. We play that song. I do think it is probably either tahitian or even marshal island.

It doesn't sound Hawaiian at all. So you can eliminate Hawaiian origins.

MN

That's not it. We play that song. I do think it is probably either tahitian or even marshal island.

Initially I thought of PNG pidgin. I listened to my Kopykats / Fred Meadola 45 and I do not think it is either. The Kopykats are from PNG and Meadola is from the Solomons. Since Iacasa noted Tahiti I kept the guessing to Tahiti. I have 25 Tahitian LPs and wasn't about to go thru them :). Another guess is Gabilou and Les Barefoot Boys. None of their songs sounded similar though.

V
virani posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2013 3:09 AM

it sounds Tahitian, for the rythms, vocal line, melody. I heard for example the tahitian word "Tiare" (flower), but in the same time, there's a lot of intonation that doesn't sound very tahitian.

But then, I don't know this song, sorry...

K

Sorry that I can't tell you WHAT it is..but I can tell you it isn't Te Manu Pukarua.
It's definately a Tahitian language song. But that's all I can tell.

Can hear the Tahitian Ukuleles ringing out.

Pages: 1 10 replies