Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Polar Bear Jump, or How I Spent My New Years

Pages: 1 5 replies

HT

So, in 2012, I turned 30 years old. I've not accomplished everything I wanted to by then, but a reality show, a cool job, and being in Ripley's Odditoriums is a good start. So, I've got another year to dream big, and do great things. I started with a tattoo to welcome in the new year:

\

And the next day, I raised money for Project Bundle Up here in Pittsburgh, PA, which provides winter coats to needy children and seniors, by jumping into the river. It can get below 0 sometimes here in Pittsburgh, so there are a lot of people that need to stay warm for the winter. Often times we have Seniors who freeze to death because they can't afford heat and are unaware of state programs to provide gas/electric heat. The coats are a big help.

And so, New Year's Day, it was a balmy 31 degrees outside. The Monongahela River was a crisp 36 degrees. A few hundred people lined up in everything from cow costumes to bikinis ready to jump in. Myself, I wore an old timey swimsuit:

I jumped in with a good friend of mine that is in the Tiki Group here in Pittsburgh, known to some of you as Pittsburgh Pauly:
http://youtu.be/DIQiXzy8CkU

And after we clawed our way out of the water, we had ourselves some hot buttered rum, invigorated by our jump. (And possibly going into shock.)

It was loads of fun, and I think that I'll be doing it again next year!

You can follow me on instragram at Luckythepainproofman

Hale, that last pic is great!
Congrats on surviving and on the fund raising success, Happy New Year!

S

Really stoked to hear you did this!

I love the old timey bathing suit!

That is very cool of you to do for the cause!

I bet it was COLD!!!!

I saw a bunch of photos on Flickr, looks like a good time :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimkiernan/with/8335796609/#photo_8335796609

HT

Thanks Luna.

I grew up in the area, and figured 30 years was long enough to wait to do it!

And thanks for the photos, and a bit of inspiration. I think I'll get there early and shoot portraits here in Pittsburgh next year.

I once jumped in a river (in the summer) where the water came from the snow melt up in the mountains. It really helped to scream at the top of my lungs as I submerged. You are one Lucky the Pain Free Man. I'm so glad to know you, Wendy

Pages: 1 5 replies