Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Blue Hawaii 1961 Elvis Tiki mugs -- for sale, help me avoid eBay

Pages: 1 4 replies

V
Van posted on Sun, Jan 13, 2013 1:29 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Van, and I apologize for coming here solely to sell something vs. participate in your community. I am a collector of many things, but sadly I am not a collector of tiki.

However, I have five tiki mugs that belonged to my grandmother that I'd like to sell. She was born and raised in New Orleans, and attended the Elvis "Blue Hawaii" premiere in Louisiana in 1961 with family/friends and ended up with four of these mugs. It appears they're worth a bit of money, so I'd like to try to sell them to you--the collectors--in a way that would also benefit me. One just sold on eBay for $450, and one also didn't sell for $450. I've seen them go for over $700. I have an eBay account and good standing there (username van-fanel), but I really hate dealing with eBay and all the fees and things associated with it, so I figure if I could sell via here and avoid eBay it'd be a lot better.

Would anyone here be interested in one for $400?

One of the mugs also unfortunately is badly damaged, as seen in the picture below. I don't even have the missing piece to partially fix it. I have no idea how much that damage devalues it. It still displays nicely, especially from an upper shelf, so maybe $300?

I'm not trying to gouge you guys, so I'd also like to not be low-balled. I'd like to have the money and I'd like to help a collector avoid having to snipe on eBay, but I'm not desperate for money either. These have been in my family for 50+ years, so there's no rush. (As an aside, right now this is the only place I'm offering them.)

She also had this a smaller tiki mug from, I believe, the 1970s, also Louisana. (See pictures below.)

I run a shop on Etsy.com where I sell magnets I create, but I'd be happy to list the mugs there for added protection if anyone would prefer that, since I realize I am a stranger to everyone here and this would be significant money changing hands.

My Etsy shop
My eBay account

I can take more pictures / individual pictures of each mug if people are interested. I am also hopefully not breaking any rules. I tried to read the rules page linked during the creation of this post, but I got a "Not Found The requested URL /tikicentral/tikicentral/rules.htm was not found on this server" error message.

Pictures:

(damaged one. :( )

The other smaller mug I have

It has a faded sticker on bottom that says "Made in Japan"

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions, or to let me know if I've broken any rules and need to update or delete my post. :)

-Van

EDIT: I have since sold all of these mugs, including the damaged one. Thank you for your interest!!

[ Edited by: Van 2013-01-13 13:48 ]

[ Edited by: Van 2018-07-15 05:53 ]

HT

You sir, have made the perfect post from a stranger wanting to sell tiki stuff on here.

Thank you for taking to time to write a wonderful message, and for contributing to the site. I, personally, didn't know these mugs exist. And believe me, I wish I could afford them.

There's some people here that I would think would be interested, so I hope they sell.
Good luck!

EJ

Just sent you a PM on one of the mugs. Take a look and let me know. Thanks.

Van, Thanks for taking the time to be thoughtful & respectful in your post

What you have are rare mugs & while some on eBay have paid super high prices on these
(Elvis collectors usually) I think a realistic value would be $200 to $300 for a mug in undamaged condition
as a collector myself I never buy damaged mugs as they hold no value for me(and many other collectors as well)

You may get more from uniformed buyers on eBay, but more of these "Elvis Bob" mugs have popped up this last year
driving the ridiculous prices some have sold for in the past, down.

The other mug you have (X-Ray eyes Tiki Mug) is more common and a fair price of $25 to $30 is what I see these go for.

I did have a friend find one of the Elvis mugs in a thrift store for $20 (The Bastard) but that was
one of those in the right place at the right time, kind of things.

Good Luck on your sale....but don't get greedy :)

H

There is a X-Ray mug right now on the bay for $18.00 Buy It Now. Aren't Grandmas the Best !!!!

Pages: 1 4 replies